PDA

View Full Version : driving licence points

P1 Forever
12th Dec 2003, 23:04
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if having penalty points on your driving licence affects your chances of getting an interview when you declare it on your application to that particular airline.

The reason I ask as I was looking at the Britannia application and it asks about driving convictions.

Thanks.

Gin Slinger
26th Dec 2003, 21:03
I have 3 penalty points on my driving licence and it wasn't even mentioned during my selection process.

26th Dec 2003, 22:06
I think 3 points is where most people would draw the line. Any more and it looks like you haven't learnt from your mistakes, or you're that irresponsible to have done something that warranted more points!

If you've got more than 3, then I'd be concerned....

sss
26th Dec 2003, 22:15
if you dont declare it and they then ask to see your licence for some purpose, such as driving a company/hire car, you can end up in the brown smelly stuff.

likewise if you dont tell your insurance company when you get them its called obtaining a pecuniary advantage,

which if a requirement of employment is to have a clean licence or a restriction in the number of points you can have and you dont declare them, then technicaly also be the same offence

Gin Slinger
26th Dec 2003, 22:17
My licence was completely clean for over 10 years. I think this is becoming more and more usual as your average road is now festooned with speed cameras.

I looked into doing a bit of bus driving whilst I was looking for my break into aviation, and the recruitment guy from Stagecoach said in that industry, a less than lily fresh driving licence is now more and more the norm. I guess aviation must be similar.

gordonsmall
26th Dec 2003, 23:46
I imagine it would depend very much on what the points were given for - if it's driving while under the influence of drink or drugs then you're probably ****** But if it was for a minor, petty offence then I doubt it would affect your chances much.

Regards,
Gordon.

cwatters
27th Dec 2003, 00:34
When did you get your points? It's possible to have them removed after a certain period.

This site says (scroll down):

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3823-900568,00.html

Quote:

Penalty points for speeding are valid for a period of three years, but for reasons of administration the DVLA does not actually remove them from your licence until four years have elapsed