PDA

View Full Version : A320 Taxi Noises ?

G-MIDY
11th Dec 2003, 21:28
Can anyone explain the strange noises that occur while onboard an A320 taxi-ing. Sounds like a cargo door opening or something really can get annoying sometimes.
Thanks

747FOCAL
11th Dec 2003, 21:35
I think what your hearing is the hydraulics. I've seen people get quite concerned looks on their faces from the noise they make. Kinda sounds like somebody banging a iron skillet with a spoon to me. :)

RadarContact
12th Dec 2003, 01:44
Most likely the hydraulic PTU during engine start or flap setting.

G-MIDY
12th Dec 2003, 20:20
Yeah i thought it could be hydraulics as every Airbus i've been on does a test through the flight controls twice. I have noticed the looks of uncertainty on peoples faces during those noises i just happen to love the noise.

PAXboy
12th Dec 2003, 20:48
There's a similar noise on large a/c that have main gear steering. If you are sitting amidships on a 744, there is a distinctive noise when turning coners on the taxyways.

Hulk Hogan
13th Dec 2003, 19:54
Always thought it sounded like someone was doing a spot of D.I.Y and sawing through something.

Very comfortable aircraft I thought.

Spearing Britney
15th Dec 2003, 07:48
Flight control checks twice due both pilots checking their sidestick. PTU shouldnt activate once both engines are up though...

Diesel8
15th Dec 2003, 08:07
Does sound like the PTU, power transfer unit, for the hydraulics. Sawing, dogs barking etc, etc. Noticeable if one taxies around with only one engine running, unless the Yellow electric pump is on. With donkey 1 running and Yellow elec pump on, the PTU is "off".

Lump Jockey
18th Dec 2003, 02:28
G-MIDY, I posted the same kind of question a while back, as that sound bugged the hell out of me! Click here for the replies I got:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73257&highlight=a320
BTW, glad to see it wasn't my mind playing tricks on me, and in actual fact there's two crazies out there now!!

adl320
3rd Jan 2004, 00:20
My understanding is that the noice you hear during taxi on the A320 series are the brakes. The 'Bus uses, I believe, an electro-mechanical braking mechanism (obviously powered by the hyd. system).

As has been described, it sounds like someone taking a hammer to the gear! You'll hear one single sound when the brakes are applied, and then a high-low banging sound when the brakes are released.