PDA

View Full Version : Runway de-icing

matspart3
11th Dec 2003, 04:45
Do any UK airports regularly de-ice paved surfaces?

If so, what methods are used, i.e chemical, organic, mechanical?
What are the costs, methods of application and effectiveness?

360BakTrak
11th Dec 2003, 06:05
Ere, you copied VCR's thread!

Spitoon
11th Dec 2003, 06:16
Come on mats3, this is a wind up isn't it?

Pretty much all major and regional airports de-ice pavements when they get icy. As a SATCO you'll probably have run into this at some point in the past even if you are more used to riviera weather in your part of the world.

Why don't you own up - what you're really asking about is what people think of this from the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/NTL200305.pdf) aren't you?

djhazard
12th Dec 2003, 22:41
well obviously,last year no this year back in jan, we had some bad snow full in London EGLC was badly affected with aircraft in hold for a long time. I was standing on a hill south side of the river directly under eglc ILS (not the dome side) and the aircraft were coming in very low, all over the place.. they would abort the landing seconds before touching down and turn right to 240 and climb 2,000 that was the intructions given by the contoller. on the airband radio the "Grip tester" would go out and test the grip lol.. is this done by slaming on the breaks? I don't know.. but no de icer was used . . .

cwllpl
11th Jan 2004, 03:45
no we just let the a/c slide to the gate!! what do you think.

and in case you care, most of it is pigs piss

FJJP
11th Jan 2004, 05:38
Err... I thought urea was no longer used because it contaminated the water table. Isn't Konsin or Clearway now used?

spekesoftly
12th Jan 2004, 06:49
Correct. Even back in the 70's, when the use of urea pellets was permitted, the Water Authorities still imposed strict limits to safeguard rivers and water supplies. For example, all Airfields in the Vale of York were restricted to a combined monthly tonnage, with RAF Leeming (then a Master Diversion Airfield) having first call.