PDA

View Full Version : Not being allowed to add a IR to a UK CPL after 2004 (horror)

zzzz
11th Dec 2003, 04:29
I have always assumed that if I wanted to add an IR to my UK CPL that I could do so at any time.

However when flicking through LASORS I noticed with horror:

'Holders of...UK CPL(A) who passed the above examinations' (i.e. UK national exams at CPL(A) or ATPL(A), 'will have an acceptance period until 31 December 2004 for the grant of an IR(A)'.

So that means if I have no IR by 2004, and despite having done both UK CPL & ATPL exams, I will have to sit, at the very least, all the sodding IR theoretical written exams.:yuk:

I was woundering how many other people this will effect?

StrateandLevel
11th Dec 2003, 16:52
You can add an IR to your UK CPL at any time however, since the introduction of JAR-FCL the validity of the IR exams for IR issue reduced to 36 months

If you have not passed the IR exams in the last 36 months you are already too late.

2004 is the last date for those who attended the last National exam sitting.

Most CPL holders who wanted an IR, completed it within the 36 month validity.

Don't Assume! CHECK!

zzzz
11th Dec 2003, 17:15
Not quite the way I read it.

Holders of UK BCPL or CPL(A) have until Dec 31 2004 to pass the IR regardless of when they sat the national CPL/ATPL exams.

Failure to do so will mean the IR theory exams will have to be sat.

Do not assume that everyone automatically adds the IR within the 36 months, aiming for that commercial career. Take a long time instructor, who might have decided to add the IR to advance his instuctional career or move to air taxis.

Under the UK system this career progression could take place whenever, time and budget allowed. Not now, if you want to delay the addition of an IR you are faced with sitting exams already passed, for no real reason. Although it is a nice earner for the authority.

StrateandLevel
12th Dec 2003, 15:29
It rather depends which paragraph you read, one contradicts the other!

All of the AICs and policy statements detailing the change over seem to have dissappeared!

It was promulgated as early as 1997 that all training for licenses and ratings would be in accordance with JAR-FCL from Jan 2000. JAR FCL 1.495 details the 36 month validity for ground exams for the issue of an IR.

"Do not assume that everyone automatically adds the IR within the 36 months"

You are the one who has made an assumption, only to find that it has not been the case for the last 3 years!

According to LASORS para 2 you still have the next 12 months to add an IR. It can be Single or Multi, both count as an IR. I would still check with the CAA exam section as they have quoted the 36 month criteria to other people.

walkingthewalk
14th Dec 2003, 06:35
Just a minute. Is it as simple as going on an IR course (no exams)
as you already hold CPL(A)/ATPL(A). That means it is just the IR rating course to complete and pass in the next 12 months.

So you only have to do the IR exams if you wait until 2005.

Am I missing something here?

G-SPOTs Lost
15th Dec 2003, 04:29
How about applying for a JAR CPL on the back of your CAA CPL - problem solved

I'm led to believe that you dont actually surrender the CAA one.

Having thought this through - is this to obvious and its not allowed anymore.........if so I'll get my coat...

RVR800
22nd Dec 2003, 15:57
A pass in the UK CPL (A) or ATPL (A) level theoretical knowledge examinations will be accepted without limit for the grant of the JAR-FCL CPL (A) Restricted.

However, a pass in the UK CPL (A) or ATPL(A) level theoretical knowledge examinations will be accepted for the grant of an IR(A) until 31 December 2004.

Applicants should note that provided that the JAR-FCL CPL (A) Restricted and IR (A) are obtained during the 36 months from the date of gaining a pass in the UK ATPL(A) theoretical knowledge examinations this pass will remain valid from the last validity date of the IR (A) entered in the IR(A) entered in the JAR-FCL CPL(A) Restricted for the issuance of an ATPL (A) (JAR-FCL 1.495 Refers)

_ _ _

Comment....

The CAA have presumably changed this rule this because there are loads of people with national licences who have yet to do the IR - they have elected not to do the IR - because it is so expensive there are few jobs, its extemely difficult and time consuming....!

You have to read it carefully the 36 months refers to the JAR-FCL
CPL(A) the time limit for NATIONAL CPL is end 2004....

The previous deadline was July 2002 then Dec 2002 now
Dec 2004. The examiners now have a slack period due Sept 11 2001. This policy will ramp up revenue...!