PDA

View Full Version : Diversion charges?

Lump Jockey
9th Dec 2003, 04:46
So who foots the bill in an eventual emergency diversion, say due illness on board? What is the norm in landing charges et al?
TIA,
LJ

FlyingForFun
9th Dec 2003, 18:29
Within the world of general aviation, most UK airfields won't charge for diversions. Some, however, make no distinction between diversions and any other arrival (mainly the larger international airports). There is a complete list in Pooleys.

I've had to divert several times, sometimes as pilot and sometimes as passenger (all due to weather, although I would expect that illness would be treated the same way). I've never paid (or seen the pilot pay) for a diversion - although at one airfield the woman working the reception desk tried to charge us until the airfield manager told her that there was no charge for diversions.

I've also never found airport staff to be anything other than friendly, helpful and sympathetic in these circumstances, giving me everything from permission to do non-standard arrivals, through to weather information, and, in once case, permitting me to use the grass tie-downs until the weather passed despite the fact that the grass area was officially closed for the winter. (The aircraft didn't have a parking brake, and I really didn't want to leave it not tied down while the weather was passing overhead.)

FFF
---------------