PDA

View Full Version : Fuel cut off

Aerofoil
8th Dec 2003, 06:15
Hi all

I was wondering something a while back when i was in the flight deck (im cabin crew at the moment or i was until i was laid off).
The fuel cut off switches on the throttle controls. I noticed that these are used to finally shut down the engines at the end of the flight. So it made me think of a scenario which worried me! I havent done my atpls yet so please excuse my ignorance but what happens if lets say for instance a cabin crew member tripped on their way into the flight deck (and on our 757's there is a step going in which some people forget about) and accidentally pressed down on the fuel cut off switches??
Is it like in a light aircraft whereby putting the mixture to completely lean shuts down the engine or is there a system in place to safeguard an accident?

Im referring to 757-200's and 762's and 763's
Thanks in advance

Dave

BlueEagle
8th Dec 2003, 07:21
On the B747/757 and 767 the fuel cut-off switches are spring loaded and to move them to any position they first have to be pulled out and held against the spring, then moved to either the open or closed position and released where it will be held in position by the spring, it is a very deliberate act so the chances of it happening accidentally by being knocked etc. are assumed to be nil or not enough to count!