PDA

View Full Version : JAR ATPL Skills Test?

AERO DYNAMIK
4th Dec 2003, 13:07
Can I do a JAR ATPL skills test in a simulator that is JAA approved (EK A330 sim, Dubai) but not located within the JAA countries? The examiner is also JAA approved. If so can I have the reference in the JAR FCL's please.

YYZ
4th Dec 2003, 15:51
AD

An ATPL skills test, I have not heard of this? Do you mean an IR or CPL?

It may just be my ignorance? Im sure someone will put me right.

AERO DYNAMIK
4th Dec 2003, 16:14
JAR-FCL 1.295 - Skill
Date: June 1, 2000

(a) An applicant for an ATPL(A) shall have demonstrated the ability to perform, as pilot-in-[command of an aeroplane type certificated for] a minimum crew of two pilots under IFR (see AMC FCL 1.220 part B), the procedures and manoeuvres described in Appendices 1 and 2 to [JAR-FCL 1.240 and 1.295 with a degree of] competency appropriate to the privileges granted to the holder of an ATPL(A).

(b) The ATPL(A) skill test may serve at the same time as a skill test for the issue of the licence and a proficiency check for the revalidation of the type rating for the aeroplane used in the test and may be combined with the skill test for the issue of a multi-pilot type rating.

[Amdt. 1, 01.06.00]

Captain Airclues
4th Dec 2003, 16:34
AD

I've had a good look through JAR-FCLs and can find nothing to prevent this. However, I suggest that you contact the Authority of your State of Licence Issue (JAR-FCL 1.065 and 1.070) to ensure that there are no problems before you invest any money.

Airclues

FlyingForFun
4th Dec 2003, 17:12
Was just about to post, agreeing with YYZ. To the best of my knowledge, there is no ATPL skills test under JAR - you just need a CPL/IR, ATPL written exams, and all the relevant hours.

Decided to find some quotes to back this up, before I posted, and found the following in LASORS - LAS Section G (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Lasors_Section_G.pdf):G1.4 JAR-FCL ATPL(A) SKILL TEST REQUIREMENTS

An applicant for a JAR-FCL ATPL(A) is required to:

Pass the ATPL(A) Skill Test with an authorised Type Rating Examiner.
The applicant shall demonstrate the ability to perform as Pilot-in-Command of an aeroplane type certificated for a minimum of two pilots under IFR, the procedures and manoeuvres required with a degree of competency appropriate to the privileges granted to the holder of an ATPL(A).
The Skill Test may serve as a skill test for the issue of the licence and a proficiency check for the revalidation of the type rating for the aeroplane used in the test, and may be combined with the skill test for the issue of a multi-pilot type rating.
The Skill Test may not be taken until all of the flying experience requirements for the grant of the licence have been met together with the necessary theoretical knowledge examinations.So it seems that YYZ and I were both wrong!

From the same document, there is the following Important Note (their capitals, not mine):ALL REQUIREMENTS FOR LICENCE ISSUE INCLUDING OBTAINING A MEDICAL CERTIFICATE, MUST BE COMPLETED IN THE STATE UNDER WHOSE AUTHORITY THE TRAINING AND TESTING FOR THE LICENCE WERE CARRIED OUT (See also Section A8). TRAINING IS PERMITTED OUTSIDE OF THE UK IN A NON-JAA STATE PROVIDED THAT THE FLYING TRAINING ORGANISATION HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE UK CAA FOR THE PURPOSE OF THE JAR-FCL ATPL(A).So it seems the answer to Aero Dynamik's question is Yes - at least as far as the UK is concerned. If your ATPL will be issued by a JAR country other than the UK, though, then you should check with that county's authority.

FFF
---------------

AERO DYNAMIK
4th Dec 2003, 18:16
many thanks for the informative replies, FFF is there a website where I can obtain the information you posted

sorry FFF never saw the link in your post

YYZ
4th Dec 2003, 23:53
Told you someone would correct me:O

At least it was all polite...