PDA

View Full Version : Taking your child flying - How old were they?

Scare Hawk Pilot
3rd Dec 2003, 23:21
I've started to be nagged by my 5 year old daughter in to taking her up in my aircraft (PA38 Tomahawk).
I have taken several adults flying over the years without many problems (except for a airsick Dad).
Thus my question - what sort of age should the child ideally be before taking them up in a two seater for the first time?
She has flown as a passenger on airline aircraft before but flying in a SEP is a bit different.

cblinton@blueyonder.
3rd Dec 2003, 23:54
First took mine up in PA28 when he was 4, no problems we were only airbourne for an hour.
Flew down to spain this year in the Bonanza and he was sick all over the back of the plane, it was a very hot day and a long flight though.

Have you sat her in the aircraft with the engine running? this could get an idea how she feels.:ok:

Beagle-eye
3rd Dec 2003, 23:56
5 is plenty old enough. I took my boy when he was 2.5 but .... I took him in a friends AA5 and let my friend fly the aircraft so that I could monitor my son. As it all went OK (in fact he fell asleep during the flight) I began to take him regularly by myself. He is now 10 and is still keen to go flying ... anytime :D

Flyin'Dutch'
4th Dec 2003, 00:16
Five months onwards.

More to do with convincing mum than anything to worry about with babies.

You may try to give them a headset on to protect the ears but my experience is that they don't like them until they understand that you can talk to them and they can talk to you (1.5 years and over)

My youngest but one is now 3 and loves to come flying. She is positively miffed if I go out and she can't come. She is one of the main reasons that I fly a Condor now and have foregone the procurement of a Cub for the time being. The SBS arrangement is better for kiddos than the tandem seating of a Cub.

FD

gingernut
4th Dec 2003, 00:27
From experience, remember the loo trip before take off.

(Are there yet daddy !) whilst descending deadside.

bcfc
4th Dec 2003, 01:27
My 4 year old can't get enough, although considering a pair of kiddy headsets as the spare DC's i have for pax are a bit heavy.

The 8 yr old felt sick the first time and is a bit reluctant now, much to my dismay.

Taking kids up for the first time is one of the great pleasures of flying IMO.

Gertrude the Wombat
4th Dec 2003, 01:36
Any age. But really do insist they go to the loo first, and don't be surprised when they fall asleep just when you're getting somewhere interesting like overhead granny's house.

QDMQDMQDM
4th Dec 2003, 01:43
Tandem in a cub just after the fourth birthday. Depends on the child, naturally. (And the mother!)

QDM

foxmoth
4th Dec 2003, 01:54
At 6, after flying - " daddy turned us upside down, AND WE DIDN'T EVEN DO A LOOP" (rolled it inverted because she wanted to go upside down but not do a loop). The earlier you start them the better, just be aware of the problems previously mentioned - and if they don't like it leave it for a while before you try again.:ok:

Saab Dastard
4th Dec 2003, 02:50
I took my eldest when he was 6.

Apparently most young children < 4ish have no problems with motion sickness - but it starts to develop at around 5+. So always carry lunchbags :yuk: :E , even if they've never been ill before. And some days are much bumpier than others!

SD

mr_flydive
4th Dec 2003, 04:23
All three from 1YR

They love it

The five yr old loves big dippers the youngest in the back doesn't

I have to say car seats fit fine & help them see

knobbygb
4th Dec 2003, 06:18
Will take baby son as soon as I can figure a way to stop him trying to eat the headset rather than wear it. Daughter had to wait until she was 7, but only because I only got my license about 3 days earlier. Can't do aero's but she loves stalls and any sudden manouvers and want's me to "learn to fly an upside-down plane". Go for it Scare Hawk.

Mr Wolfie
4th Dec 2003, 06:23
Took my eldest daughter up for the first time when she was five (in a 172). She went in the back together with a good (non-flying friend) of mine with whom she is very familiar and confident. Quite a lumpy day, but she absolutely loved it and now wants to go up as often as possible.

I really enjoy taking her up because she obviously gets a buzz from it (and also enjoys bragging to her friends that dad takes her flying).

Youngest daughter is 2 1/2 and wants to go flying with daddy but only "when she is a bit bigger". I have no intention of pushing her into it until she is ready and I know that she will ask to come when her confidence is up to the job.

I agree with BCFC that taking your kids flying is a real pleasure.

Mr. W.

p.savage
4th Dec 2003, 07:28
I took a 4 yr old cousin. He loved every second, and although I have'nt been able to take him again, (because im still training) he is constantly asking me "when are you gonna fly the big planes?"

Bless him.

P.Savage

flyingfemme
4th Dec 2003, 21:17
A niece and three nephews, youngest around 3. They all adore it and fight to be the one in the front seat. We need a bigger aircraft!

AfricanEagle
4th Dec 2003, 21:54
BabyEagle's first flight at 3 months.

Second time at 13 months, must have liked it because every time he sees or hears an airplane he starts pointing and saying 'lane, 'lane :)

AE

breakscrew
4th Dec 2003, 22:44
I took my daughter ever since she was a baby, and she is now an airline pilot. Something must have rubbed off.

cblinton@blueyonder.
4th Dec 2003, 23:27
My nephew, taking it all in his stride!! :ok:http://uk.geocities.com/gatsrsyndicate/images/youngfiler.jpg

CPilotUK
6th Dec 2003, 04:34
I took my then 9 year old daughter and 6 year old son on my trial flight. When my Instructer took us up in the clouds, my son was quietly calling Jesus. I asked him why was he calling Jesus and his response was: "I thought he lived in the clouds". :D

The funny things kids say. :)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
6th Dec 2003, 07:53
No 1 daughter when she was very little (<2 I think) with mum in the back (of a 172). Little one fell asleep while we did a touch and go at Warton. She's since flown several times, including aeros in the Chippy. She's now late teenage and not all that keen, but some of her friends think it's cool that her old dad flys aeroplanes; she's given a few of them Chrissy presents of a flight with me (how could I refuse:) ).

No 2 daughter has been up in a 172 a few times, and in a Citabria, so she's OK back seat alone. Still too short for the Chippy, though.

Truth is, they both much prefer horses:cool:

SSD

LowNSlow
6th Dec 2003, 14:23
Part of the reason I swapped my Cub for an Auster was cos my youngest daughter, 4 at the time, wanted to come flying with me but didn't like sitting in the front (or back) of the Cub "on her own".

She loves flying the Auster with her booster seat. I must have made her watch The Battle of Britain too often as her favourite manouver is a "Spitfire Break". You know the one, wing over, dive and pull about 3g's on the recovery. She starts laughing as the stick goes over and back and she is positively cackling by the time we recover. :ok: :ok:

Scare Hawk Pilot
6th Dec 2003, 18:41
Thanks for a great response, looks as if I have no reason not to take her up.
Some good tips re loo visit prior to flying, (I'll add this to my walk around checklist!).