PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Instructors

Dufwer
3rd Dec 2003, 20:54
Hello all,

I have a question about getting work as a flying instructor. If all goes according to plan I will complete groundschool, CPL and FIC by late next year. I would be kidding myself if I thought that at that point I would be able to give up my non-aviation career totally and still meet car/house/school/wife payments. Is it possible to start instructing on a part-time or weekend only basis straight after completing a FIC? Are there schools that take on part-time instructors that haven't already instructed full-time? Presumably this would mean taking one-off trial lessons and 'joy riders' while leaving the real students for the full-time instructors?

Regards
D

Field In Sight
3rd Dec 2003, 21:14
Most schools have part timers to meet the weekend busy periods.
The school I work at has lots of them.

I started instructing full time about 2 mths ago, but have gone back to IT contract work for 3 mths to avoid the bleakness of winter. Apart from the money, I know where I would rather be.

You won't need to start full time before going part time, however the weekend guys usually have less interest in airline jobs and therefore do not tend to "move on" thus not freeing up an employment opportunity.

Students first do trial lessons and usually stick with the same instructor if they decide to do their PPL's. A lot of these will only do weekends so eventually you will have lots of students.

Good luck.

FIS

jarjam
4th Dec 2003, 02:21
FIS summed it up quiet well.

One thing I will add is make the most of the trial lessons, it gives you chance to polish your skills and get to know the lay of the land.
Once you get onto having "real students" and you done a few hundred hours of instructing and you havn't touched the controls for a week or so you can forget how to do it:p

Best of luck getting the first job

Dufwer
6th Dec 2003, 18:22
FIS and jarjam, thanks for the replies.

D