PDA

View Full Version : Things you always do from which others might learn

Whirlybird
2nd Dec 2003, 16:58
This is a thread running at the moment on Rotorheads on this topic:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110150&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I'm finding it one of the most useful threads ever on PPRuNe, so I thought I'd post the link here, since some of the points mentioned apply to all types of flying. Maybe people could add some other points here too. Let's help each other!

willbav8r
3rd Dec 2003, 06:52
This sort of thing?

After preflight and checking fuel, I always walk 15 ft in front of aircraft.
Have a look to see tie down chains, fuel caps, props, wings, wheels etc all in the right place. Take a breath before committing aviation!

With a new type of a/c, dry cockpit time is a must. I point and feel, close eyes and identify things (fuel pumps, lights, carb heat etc).

Whirlybird
3rd Dec 2003, 16:41
Yep, definitely that sort of thing. :ok: Standing back and looking at an aircraft is something I was never taught as a student, but it's an extremely good idea; that way you see the tie-downs, chocks, the fact that something just looks wrong, etc.

FlyingForFun
3rd Dec 2003, 16:51
Know your aircraft's systems. It can save a lot of panic, or maybe even save the day, if something goes wrong.

For example: you have an alternator failure. Will your engine quit once the battery runs dry? (Not on most aeroplanes, but it will on my Europa.)

You have a vacuum failure. Will the RMI/HSI still be usable? (Not during, or in the few minutes after, turning, but they should be usable at other times - at least that's the case on the Arrow which I used for my CPL, but I don't know about any other aircraft.)

Both real-life examples which have happened to me. If you don't understand your aircraft you can't know how serious a failure really is.

FFF
-------------

A and C
5th Dec 2003, 16:04
What type of HSI/RMI system was this and who makes it ?.

The failure mode that you have described is not one that I have come across before and I would like to know more.

FlyingForFun
5th Dec 2003, 16:13
Don't know, A and C!

It was on the Piper Arrow which I used for my CPL at EFT, and I only logged about 10 hours on it. What I've described is my understanding of the system, as described to me by one of the instructors (not my regular instructor, though).

When I suffered a vacuum failure, I told my instructor pretty much what I've described above. Sure enough, that was exactly how it behaved - I cross-checked with the compass regularly, and found the two to be in agreement the whole time (well - as close to agreement as they ever were before the vacuum failure) except after we'd done some steep turns, when the "Hdg" flag popped up, and it took a minute or two for everything to re-align again.

The instructor (also not my regular instructor, but not the same one who explained the system to me to start with) didn't correct me during the flight (which I wouldn't have expected him to), but also didn't say anything about the HSI/RMI after the flight. I took the fact that he didn't say anything after the flight to mean that his understanding was the same as mine.

Don't know if anyone at EFT reads this forum - if they do maybe they'd be able to find out what type it was and post here? And if my understanding of how it works was wrong, then I'd like to know - just for general interest, since I'll most likely never fly that aircraft again.

FFF
-------------

Flyin'Dutch'
5th Dec 2003, 16:21
1. Get to know your aircraft so well that you don't need a checklist for the walk around.

2. If you do the walk around and have allowed yourself to be interrupted, start again.

3. SOPs are there for a reason, they have been thought out over a cuppa in a nice and warm office without any stress or haste. Develop your own (however simple) and stick to them. To deviate from them under stress usually sets you up nicely for a deng.

4. Read all the accident reports you can lay your hands on. Read them AND realise that all of those that came to grief were humans, like us. None of them thought they were going to have an accident or set off from home with the intention to have one.

5. Learn from 4 that most accidents are the result of a cascade of events going wrong. Be critical of your own functioning, in all aspects and try to identify when you are getting wrapped up in one of these cascades.

6. Use checklists to your heart's content but use short mnemonics for take-off, landing and any other critical phase of your flying, to identify and check those things which need to be sorted in order not to kill or hurt yourself.

FD

Cool_Hand
5th Dec 2003, 16:23
something to add to the complete look that willbav8r mentioned,

drip check,

a quick look after finishing your walk around to ensure all of the drain valves have re seated and that you're not slowly losing fuel.

EyesToTheSkies
6th Dec 2003, 23:48
When renting a club C152, I check that I can open the door from the inside. Some can be very tough.

IO540
7th Dec 2003, 00:29
A and C

I've had multiple KI229 slaved RMI failures. Sometimes one or the other needle (or both) stops working, or the OBS stops rotating. But on the slaved HSI next to it, all works fine... once it was an inverter, or maybe changing it disturbed a connector?

Once I cancelled a departure because both slaved instruments were found to be duff; it turned out that a circuit breaker had been kicked (by me) when getting in...

But most important thing I think is to finally walk around, check the towbar isn't attached, luggage door not open, etc. I might have a little bracket welded to the towbar and clip the ignition keys to it at the start of the checks.

Tinstaafl
7th Dec 2003, 01:34
As many have said: A last glance before getting in. Looking for hatches open, tugs/tow hooks, tie downs attached, covers/external locks, refuelling ladders. Some are obvious things if you look towards them, but you won't always happen to look their way.

bookworm
7th Dec 2003, 02:01
I rather like the advice given to me by a colleague:

Before every flight write your own accident report. If it contains the words The pilot, nevertheless... then it's time to rethink the plan. :)

Saab Dastard
7th Dec 2003, 19:50
If you fly regularly from an airfield, see if there is a landmark - building, mast, whatever - at a known distance that you can see from the clubhouse or apron to help determine visibility.

At Fairoaks, you can see a large rectangular office block in Woking that's about 4 Km away.

If I can't see it, the viz is c**p - I might as well go home! If I can see it but can't make out the windows, the viz is marginal, and I won't bother going out of the circuit if I fly at all - VFR only, me! If I can see the windows on it clearly, the viz is good enough - at least locally.

Obviously, this is in conjunction with TAFs, METARS, 214 and 215 forms. It's just a quick check that works for me.

SD

bingoboy
7th Dec 2003, 23:02
Mag Checks.

On a key type switch I always go to the furthest from the both position first (usually left) back to both and then to the position nearest both (usually right and back to both. That way one is fairly sure to be back on both before continuing.

Papa Charlie
8th Dec 2003, 17:25
When going through the checklist, do the check and if it doesn't seem right, STOP! For example "Controls, free and full movement". So when ailerons are really stiff and have a mind of their own think about it and don't take off and fly with the autopilot switched on.

Not that I have ever done that, you understand..... :uhoh:

Whipping Boy's SATCO
9th Dec 2003, 02:26
Never rush. If I am sat at the hold thinking about the £2/min I am wasting on the ground, I am in the wrong frame of mind.

Aligned with this: Don't get angry. I was sat at the hold at Redhill one day as a no RT ac joined. I was rather livid as the FISO had "told" me to hold whilst the ac joined. I could see the ac but the FISO was adamant I should hold. Anyway, eventually the no RT landed and I took off. On the take-off run I thought "This is a bit lethargic". Like an idiot I continued rolling, checked the bits and pieces and discovered I had left the brakes half on. The reason? I had become frustrated, rushed my checks and, even when I noticed there was something not quite right, continued with my take-off as I tried to resolve the problem.

kabz
9th Dec 2003, 03:37
Know the airplane systems well.

Have at least a rough idea of takeoff and landing rolls. See how close to the published figures you can get.

Takeoff with full tanks, and check your estimated fuel burn the next time you fill the tanks.

Know the proper POH speeds for your aircraft and use them. Don't use some half-baked instructor nonsense like 80 knots on short final in a 172.

Work hard at situational awareness by listening to other people on frequency and strive to make clear, accurate and concise radio calls.

Be courteous and friendly to all people you meet. Someone may offer you a job, or some flying one day.

Keef
9th Dec 2003, 03:56
When watching another aircraft that you're worried about, don't forget to keep looking for the one you haven't seen yet.

Know the speeds and RPM/MP settings for your aircraft - like, if S&L and you want a 500fpm descent, what power setting should you choose?

Never trust an ADF, especially at night, or near the coast.

Air Traffic Controllers are supremely friendly people (apart from one or two, but we all know who they are). They will help you immensely, if you but ask.

The first time you fail to check the drains, you will have water in the fuel.

Look carefully at the aircraft from a distance. Does it look right?

IFollowRoads
10th Dec 2003, 03:42
Simple one:

"The decision not to fly is always right"

IO540
10th Dec 2003, 05:05
Keef

Never trust an ADF, especially at night, or near the coast

You are right about the coastal effect; I see a 20deg shift appear and disappear over a distance of about 2 miles when doing one NDB/DME procedure at an AD with pretty high ground around it.

I once asked an instructor (who had a frozen ATPL) what he would do if the ADF was telling him he was OK, but a GPS was telling him he was going to die. He said he would trust the ADF. This is the correct official reply.

What's the solution? The solution for me would be to go somewhere with an ILS.