PDA

View Full Version : Work Permit/Sponsorship

M.85
1st Dec 2003, 18:35
Dear All,

Any idea of the quickest way to apply for a work permit in Canada?Do you need to be sponsored by an airline first?
I am French/swedish citizen and hold an FAA and JAA ATPL.

Merci,

M.85

Panama Jack
2nd Dec 2003, 05:23
Without fear of being mistaken, I'll tell you that unless you have some very unique skills, you have a fat chance of getting a work permit. Jetsgo got some permits for some American Airlines MD-80 series captains (temporary contract)-- I think for a 6 month term, but I don't think you fall in this boat and this isn't what you want to know.

If you want to get a Resident Permit, it works based on the point system. To learn more, you can visit Citizenship and Immigration website at www.cic.gc.ca

No employer will discuss further with you unless you have the legal ability to work in Canada.

M.85
9th Dec 2003, 23:30
hi there,

Apparently for a French citizens its very easy to get to the province of Québec(low natality there and average of 5000 french nationals immigrating there each year) and then move on to the rest of Canada...just went on their web and got enough points to send the application form..
It takes a few months but its always good to have an extra opportunity destination..

M.85

bcflyer
10th Dec 2003, 01:16
I will say that there are VERY few jobs in Canada right now. As well you will need to get a Canadian license once you get here. I think you'll find that the minimums here are much higher than in Europe. 1500hrs and a degree for a PC-12 F/O position, 2000hrs to fly a C-208, 3500-4000hrs MINIMUM (usually higher than that) before any chance of seeing a transport category jet. (these are minimum times) The company I work for has 10000 hr Dash-8 F/O's!! Kinda shows how much movement there has been the last little while.Have a good look at the job listings before you spend too much time, effort and money.
Good luck :D

M.85
10th Dec 2003, 20:14
Thanks for your post.
I hope ill get at least a CPL/IR with a unrestricted JAA ATPL..
I pass the C208 mark:E ,I have flown sa227 single pilot for over 1500 hours as well as the be1900.
I hope to get a seat as f/o on one of these...:hmm:

Paperwork has been sent today to the French ambassy.

Safe flying,

M.85

typo...Canada Ambassy in Paris..:8

Rosbif
11th Dec 2003, 02:49
Can't imagine why someone with a Euro passport and JAR paperwork would be moving to Canada. Have you not heard of Easyjet ? I have 6000+ and am typed and current widebody airbus ---And i'm moving out !! No Jar licence so I've got to go to the sandbox. Sorry. I don't get it.
Best of luck. Rosbif.

M.85
11th Dec 2003, 19:44
Dear Rostbif,

A JAR ATPL yes i do have.
EasyJet ,I know them..do you know their CTC scheme??for direct entry id have to fork out 6000£ again and they take guys with experience on type.
Experience in Europe I dont have.

M.85

Gravox
14th Dec 2003, 07:49
M.85 are you currently flying in Sweden? What is the job out look like there? I am currently flying Sa227 in Australia, and wouldn't mind a change of scenery what are my chances like?

Also of late was thinking about trying to do some bush flying. You guys say that there is little movement in Canada what about flying Cubs or Beavers in the outback. Are there many jobs like that going around, and if so what sort of experience do you need to land a job like that?

Cheers

Rosbif
19th Dec 2003, 23:55
M .85 :

With a JAR ATP, a Euro Passport, (and you probably speak about 14 languages), you stand a very much better chance in Europe than here. A freind of mine who got on at Finnair, for ex., got a salary that looks like a telephone number, and a new Volvo wagon on joining. A lot of pilots here and very few jobs. 6000 pounds is a lot less than cdn$ 30 000, which is what you will pay to buy a job at Jetsgo. That will get you a MD83 rating. Who the hell flies those?

You might try Air Georian in Toronto. (you have B1900 time) . But you will start as a loader on caravans. Also, you might find that Canadian immigration are a lot like airlines. Expect a few 'chicken and egg' scenarios !!

Good luck.

whereisjohn
20th Dec 2003, 20:30
M.85

I don't mean to dash your hopes with immigration but you are part right on what you have said and part wrong. It may be easy for you to apply to Quebec being a French National but as far as I know and remember (spent sometime with Canadian Immigration) you can not just pick up and leave, there is some sort of restriction that has been implemented to stop such things. For example, immigration to Canada, although federal, is handled to an extent provincially now - a way to attract immigrants to less populated parts of Canada and away from the likely hubs of Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. There is a stipulation with this in that you must remain in the province for so many years.

On another point, although it says a few months, if you're lucky (which I hope you are) you are looking at the better part of 1-2 years. You are applying to immigrate and although you may meet all the requirements, points, etc. applications do not get approved solely on points, each case is evaluated and reviewed and I would be hesitant to say that it would be a walk in the park as your skill is not needed in Canada due to the lack of jobs and high numbers of unemployed pilots. You would be sadly seen as a burden to Canadian Labour. I guess the bottom line is that people would see it as why bring in qualified people to do a job in Canada while there are plenty of qualified and able Canadians willing to do it. As far as Quebec goes, they always do things a little different there but I think you will find similar hurdles.

Regardless, good luck. Just thought I would shed some first hand insight.

skidcanuck
20th Dec 2003, 22:07
"EasyJet ,I know them..do you know their CTC scheme??for direct entry id have to fork out 6000£ again and they take guys with experience on type"

Well, here in Canada Jetsgo has pilots prostitute themselves for about $30,000 Cdn. - approx 13000£

A regional BE1900 carrier, Air Georgian, is intervieving now - $25000 annual salary for FO's

My apologies, Rosbif - I didn't see your post which had the same info as mine - great minds think alike!

Cheers.

Rosbif
22nd Dec 2003, 02:18
Probably know you !!

M.85
22nd Dec 2003, 18:39
HI Rostbif and the rest,

Thanks for your posts;)
I have decided to try Québec as I said before because I MAY have a chance to broaden my chances of getting a flying job..Its always better to have an extra door open..isnt it?
As for Georgian airline i will apply with howver not much hope..Loading bags ive done it before and have the Tshirt..2000lbs with the mail man before some flights..i would do it again.used to fuel my own aircraft too when scheduled to leave at 3 am and no mechs around to help..even drove the truck via the road(outside the airport)as the normal gate was locked...
Anyways,Things here dont seem to move...maybe because im not CURRENTLY flying..but thats the usual biting its own tail ..isnt it??
I am also thinking of getting my instructor rating in the US as its cheaper than here and a possibility to work thereafter..
I believe Canada would be the perfect match between the States(which i quite enjoyed)and Europe.
My bag is ready so if i get a chance on the other side..im off!

Cant even get a Seneca job over here..cant be worse in Québec:hmm:

Sfae flying,

M.85

Rosbif
30th Dec 2003, 21:58
As far as US immigration goes, the answer is NO. What's the question. I've had every visa in the alphabet and can tell you that the US idea is a non starter unless you want to marry a geen card, or you are Irish (lottery)
Cheers.

Panama Jack
31st Dec 2003, 13:25
Not just Irish-- most nationalities with a few exceptions (Canadians, Mexicans, Salvadorans, Chinese, etc) are allowed to enter the lottery-- but don't delay-- deadline for the DV2005 lottery is tonight!!!! :}

Chuck Ellsworth
1st Jan 2004, 01:26
You can get instant immigration into Canada by arriving from some country that has a history human rights violations..... get rid of all ID and claim refugee status....

It helps to have a crimminal record in the country you left and be HIV positive, if you are white better you get a good tan before departure.....

Welcome to Canada.

Once here all you need to qualify for a job is be willing to work as an unpaid slave....after you pay the employer for giving you the job of course.....:ok:

Duke Elegant
1st Jan 2004, 01:45
Hey Chuck! I am just back from Australia and will update my Aviation is Australia thread when the Avcanada site is up and running.
Does anybody know of a rumoured start date for Avcanada?
I sure got to see some interesting stuff down under.
"Crikey mate! There's heaps of good looking shielas down there and good tucker too!"

Chuck Ellsworth
1st Jan 2004, 02:26
See... there is still hope for anyone...

They just let the Duke back in. :ok:

Yeh Duke, I bet there are a lot of guys up in the hinterland with nothing to do now except chase the indigenoius game.

And of course to keep the nursing stations busy curing the maladys that result from the sport.

Chuck

Rosbif
3rd Jan 2004, 03:47
Of course if you come in as a refugee, and nobody knows who you are, you can become anyone you like, start work almost immediately as a security officer at the airport, and search pilots all day on their way to the planes !! Dont worry, nobody will ever search you, because we are very sensitive about your human rights here in Canada !

Cheers!

Chuck Ellsworth
3rd Jan 2004, 06:35
Rosbif:

How true!! :ok:

What a wonderful country.

Any idea what would happen if you strolled off an airplane in Jeddah Saudi Arabia and claimed refugee status?

Rosbif
9th Jan 2004, 05:37
So when we are forced by the Yanks to put skymarshals on all our flights flying over the states, (which is nearly all of them), are they going to get them from the same company that provides the 'security'at Pearson !!!:confused: -- or do we get Real police?
We go to all this trouble to keep guns off planes and then-- :confused:
I don't get it !!