PDA

View Full Version : Who will be in the air on December 17th?

Jhieminga
27th Nov 2003, 18:59
Just wondering who will be taking to the sky exactly 100 years after Wilbur and Orville showed us the way?

I've got a Cessna booked for the day, just hoping for some decent weather now as my IR doesn't cover SEP unfortunately.

How many of you will be doing the same?

FNG
27th Nov 2003, 19:29
A friend and I have a plan to wait until 1535 GMT (ie: 1035 EST), then fly for 100 feet or 12 seconds, whichever comes up first , then land and drink heartily in honour of the Bishop's brainy boys. Luckily, all of this can be achieved even if the weather is rubbish, and especially if the wind is 20 knots or more (for added historical verisimilitude, we ought to do three more trips then park in the wind and watch the aircraft getting tumbled back to the hangar with bits falling off it all the way).

http://www.fi.edu/flights/first/during.html

It has been pointed out that we ought to calculate a power setting for the weight of our aircraft equivalent to the power available to the Wrights, try to get airborne using that, and find out that our flying machine is less efficient than theirs.

It was heartening to see that when Sir George Cayley reminded us here recently that the anniversary is fast approaching, none of the "actually, that bloke Pearce did it ages before, actually, and he invented mobile phones, dental floss and atom bombs as well, actually, I know, cos I read it on the internet" spotter mob turned up to give him an argument. Good job this thread isn't in the history and nostalgia bit....

strake
27th Nov 2003, 19:55
I would like to have been in my plane on the 17th cruising the Essex countryside. Instead, I will be a passenger in a BA747-400 coming back from Narita. I shall however, raise a glass of fine claret to all you chaps celebrating the fine achievement of the brothers Wright.

Dusty_B
27th Nov 2003, 19:57
The Mighty ZOG will be taking to the air, subject to wind / rain / fog - nowt else will stop us - even if we have to fly in ground effect all the way down the runway.

Brooklands
27th Nov 2003, 20:33
Yes, weather permitting. The club I fly with is organising for as many members as possible to fly on the day. I'm planning to fly each of the types on the club fleet, probably only a circuit each.

Floppy Link
27th Nov 2003, 21:07
FNG
get on up to Perth/EGPT/Scone on the 13th Dec and you can enter the Scottish Aero Club Wright Brothers 100th Anniversary 120ft Precision Hop competition (acronym SACWB100A120FPHC)

email going to members...

Weather permitting, the Wright Brothers 100th Anniversary Precision Hop Competition is due to take place on Saturday 13th December (the day after the curry night). This light-hearted test of your superlative precision flying skills will measure who can fly closest to the 120ft distance of Wilbur and Orville's first powered flight, by hopping over two lines on the runway.
You should aim to get airborne just before the first line and touch down again as soon as possible just after the second line. What you do after that is your decision, Captain...stop or touch and go into the circuit. Helicopters are not permitted! Any wheel (or in extremis, any other portion of your airframe!) touching down between the lines will invalidate your attempt.
This winner of this prestigious event will be showered with adulation, sincere praise and the undying respect of the Scottish Aero Club. In other words we haven't worked out a prize yet. Watch this space, and pencil in the 13th in your diary for some precision flying in ground effect...

I think we might have a prize by now, the Henderson Cup, to be awarded at the annual dinner in March. So that is a potential 2 trips to Perth for you!

As for the 17th, I'd love to, but I'll be stuck on a beach in the Maldives, the perils of longhaul...

Russell

http://www.espotlight.co.uk/gbtbi/listlogo.jpg

Blind lemon
28th Nov 2003, 00:45
Planning a quick trip to Duxford, hopefully landing back at base
as near to 15:35 as possible.

:ok:

QDMQDMQDM
28th Nov 2003, 06:06
I'll be there, weather permitting. I like the 120 foot hop idea. I'm going to take my little boys out of school for it too.

QDM

vintage ATCO
28th Nov 2003, 06:22
Subject to weather, we're planning of flying the Bristol Boxkite at Old Warden at 1035 GMT (OK, OK, it's a different time zone but it will be getting dark at 1535!) The Tiger Moth or Maggie will fly too. Subject to the airfield state.

PPR on 01767 627288

tomcs
28th Nov 2003, 06:47
Well hopefully...all the aeroplanes at our club will be flying out to Duxford for the day in a big gaggle (name for group of aircraft??). So that should be awesome...and we all aim to get back at around 1535 GMT

A good break from ATPLs

Tom

Kolibear
28th Nov 2003, 19:43
Weather permitting, Mrs K & I will be going to Shuttleworth.

Weather not permitting, I'll be making one swift circuit!

I like the idea of being airborne @15.35

AfricanEagle
28th Nov 2003, 21:48
Am flying to S. Africa, on the 5/12, air law and check flight licence validation exam booked for the 8th, airplane booked for the 17th.

Hopefully I'll spend the day flying over the african bush up to the Kruger Park. :D

AE

MR TEDDY
28th Nov 2003, 23:27
I hope to be at Wycombe's airfield on the 17th for a quick bash around the circuit at 09:35.

If there's no objection to my adopting the town of Almaty in Novosibirsk at that precise time, I reckon I'll be able to say I flew 100 years exactly to the day, hour and minute that the brothers Wright went into the history books!

Fingers firmly x'd!

PPPPP
28th Nov 2003, 23:32
I've booked a Grob for that morning, I'm intending to do some celebratory local flights with the missus. However if RW 20 is in use I may achieve 120ft of bounces on landing:)
(To explain: At our field there is a useful "ski-jump" bump just after the touchdown zone on 20 which helpfully allows you to regain the flying mode several times if you're a wee bit quick on the rollout/slow on the brakes)

Tiger Bob
29th Nov 2003, 01:56
Our Club will be getting as many aircraft in the air at 15:35 UTC - hopefully about 50

Jim Morehead
29th Nov 2003, 02:03
Interesting thread.I think I'll be over the Pacific Ocean enroute to ANC flying either computers or rubber dog ****.

I wish I could be at Kill Devil Hills as I have been on at least 10 other occasions,but have to work.

Cheers to the Wright Brothers!

Seroxat
29th Nov 2003, 05:07
It will take rain, hail,snow AND a howling gale to stop me getting into the air on the day, preferably at the correct time. Wonder if the old barshifter chappy will be up there dodging us Hercs and Hawks. Hee Hee

Another pill nursie!

Seroxat

Cusco
29th Nov 2003, 07:11
Sadly the day job prevents any participation:

If I do take a day's leave then HMG aka NHS will whinge that their waiting lists are getting longer................

18 months and counting eh QDM QDM

Cusco

Safe (and waiting list free) flying.

Penguina
29th Nov 2003, 19:04
Me!! I'm flying, on December the seventeenth, and using lots of characters here! :)

(Dunno where yet though...)

stiknruda
1st Dec 2003, 05:44
If wx ok - then I'll push out the gorgeous Pitts and go play!

Will invite Arclite 01 to do same with yellow thing, then retire to pub, so we can bore each other with flying stories!

stik

Scuzi
1st Dec 2003, 06:14
Providing I pass my skills test tomorrow I'll be flying on the 17th, weather permitting of course.

I better get some sleep, big day ahead of me! :uhoh:

Whirlybird
1st Dec 2003, 16:07
I figure I'll book a helicopter, and no matter what the weather is doing (almost), I can at least hover. Anyone want a trial lesson - cos you could log that? :ok:

BeauMan
1st Dec 2003, 20:34
At this rate, I'm starting to wonder whether 17th December 2003 will see the largest number of GA movements on any December day in history...!

I'm booked for an hour at our club at 1030 UTC, but not quite sure what the plan is yet. Rumours abound of a club chug over to France for lunch. Either way, I'll be close to aeroplanes on that day. :D

Dave Gittins
1st Dec 2003, 21:47
I had booked the club Warrior to do .. at the very least ...... a couple of circuits of Fairoaks .. and probably a quick 120 foot leap, skip or hop on the runway while I recited some Neil Armstrong ish nonsense to myself about a "what was a massive leap into the first milennium of flight is but a short hop by Cherokee into the second."

.... I suppose, thinking about it, the Wright's had a bicycle engine, but in 100 years the Cherokee has only moved as far as a tractor engine. :sad:

However due to the extremely variable price of aviation as SLF, I shall now be on Mr Bishop's BD545 at about top of climb LHR - TFS. I supose an A321 is about as advanced a machine as I could get, being the most developed piece of technology in current use as the peak of man's aeronautical achievements over the past 100 years.

Like Vintage ATCO, I am transposing GMT with EST and having 10.34 Z ..... and don't care what anybody says.

.... Steve, the thought of having the Boxkite out is the best idea for the day I've heard anywhere ..... I really hope the wind and the viz and the sogginess do the biz for you all at Old W.

So .... I've probably done my own aviating for this milennium of flight with 3 circuits yesterday. The weather was so much better than forecast, I would have had a nice trip out if i'd known what it was going to be like.

At least I will be airborne at the right time on the Wright day but my first leap into the second milennium as a driver will be in Lanza Air's 172 at Tenerife later that week. :cool:

Hope all your Wednesday 17th's go well .. and above all safely.

Dave:ok: :ok: :ok:

SATCO Biggin
2nd Dec 2003, 17:48
Hardly an earth shattering offer, but Biggin Hill are knocking 25% off the landing fee of aircraft up to 2500 kg mtow on the 17th December 2003.

You can also get free coffee at the Terminal Building or Joes Bar (other side of the airfield).

Free bottles of Champagne for every 100th landing or touch and go and for the first 24 landings by aircraft whose captain and crews age together add up to over 100 years.

Regards

SATCO Biggin

Sir George Cayley
4th Dec 2003, 04:12
I've got the club hack booked at Barton for the afternoon

Trouble is I've heard so many people talking about doing a hop at 15.35 I think ATC will have to issue slot times!

Not like that in Wilbur and Orvills day eh?

I guess Shaggy Sheep Driver should be first in the Chippy as he mentioned it here - then me - then then the rest.

Sir George Cayley

The air is a navigable ocean that laps at everyones door

AerBabe
4th Dec 2003, 18:04
Does anyone in the Surrey/West Sussex area have a spare seat? I'd love to fly on the 17th... :sad:

Evo
5th Dec 2003, 15:07
Goodwood any use AerBabe?

Circuit Basher
5th Dec 2003, 17:08
Wx permitting, I've got an a/c booked for 0900 - 1100 out of Perth. All seats (except mine) are currently empty.... ! Some inconsiderate person already had the a/c from 1100 - 1500 (and it'll be just about dark by then in these parts!) - I do have a night qualification, but I need the 3 landings to get back into currency before I take a pax at night.

AerBabe
7th Dec 2003, 02:23
Evo - Yup, Goodwood is within reasonable driving distance. :)

Evo
7th Dec 2003, 04:55
Then I think we can work something out :) Don't mind old taildraggers I hope :ok:

AerBabe
7th Dec 2003, 05:30
That depends what kind of aeroplane the old taildragger is flying. :uhoh:

QNH 1013
11th Dec 2003, 22:40
Just booked PPR for Old Warden next Wednesday as it seems the most appropriate place to go. They said they have 21 aircraft booked to fly in so far. Wonder how many ppruners will be there?
Keep fingers crossed for good weather, and preferably less wind than 100 years ago at Kitty Hawk.

QDMQDMQDM
11th Dec 2003, 23:23
I am hoping to take a 100 year old lady flying (born June 1903) on the day. She's very game for it!

QDM

QNH 1013
12th Dec 2003, 00:17
QDM
What a fantastic idea. Hope it all goes well.

bar shaker
12th Dec 2003, 00:25
We thought long and hard about where to go and have decided that we are having lunch at the Propeller Inn, Bembridge.

It seemed pretty apt.

If the weathers good, we are taking the microlights (6 in total) if its not then we are in a Warrior and a Jet Ranger. Either way, we'll get there ;)

DamienB
12th Dec 2003, 00:55
Well if anyone flying into Old Warden has a spare seat... I could stress test it for you...

S-Works
12th Dec 2003, 02:04
I may have a spare seat if the weather looks promising!

If not I will be scooting a few hundred yards along the runway in ground effect!

vintage ATCO
12th Dec 2003, 06:51
Latest plan at Old Warden is to fly the Boxkite at 1035 and again at 1535. Hopefully will have the Red Arrows fly through at about 1420 and maybe a couple of fast jets too.

There will be refreshments but limited because of the restaurant re-furb.

PPR to 01767 627288. No landing slots as such but we may ask you to hold off for a few minutes if something is happening at the time.

Weather/runway state on the day 01767 627563.

VA

Man-on-the-fence
15th Dec 2003, 00:11
Weather is looking good (just put the kiss of death on it). I shall be at OW I think.

Anyone else going?

S-Works
15th Dec 2003, 01:59
I will be there and by the looks of it will bring DamionB (so am expecting some good photos for the list!)

Fly Stimulator
15th Dec 2003, 02:08
I hope to be there too. So far I've tried to attend Old Warden PPRuNe events two years in a row, both of which have been washed out. I'm hoping that this might be third time lucky!

DamienB
15th Dec 2003, 02:25
bose-x - you mean I have to bring the camera?! :E

Man-on-the-fence
15th Dec 2003, 04:52
Of course if anyone has a spare seat in the Oxford area .....:E

Otherwise I will jst have to get shots of you all Landing. Should be fun. Looking forward to it.:ok:

Kolibear
15th Dec 2003, 18:05
Just phoned O-W for PPR and it looks as though it will be very busy 9:30 -10:30. ATC not opening until 10:00.

Look forward to seeing you all there.

M-o-t-F - photos of me on finals will be appreciated, photos of my landings will NOT!! :O

Man-on-the-fence
15th Dec 2003, 18:25
Wotcha flying then so I can look the other way.:E

Fly Stimulator
15th Dec 2003, 18:27
Just booked myself in too.

Now all I have to do is find my PPRuNe badge and I'm all set!

Kolibear
15th Dec 2003, 19:34
motf - its a Koliber.

Man-on-the-fence
15th Dec 2003, 20:01
Doh!!!!

Makes sense really.

Hope to see you all there, I'll be the short fat one taking photos (as opposed to DB who will be the tall fat one ..... :E )

Do pop over and say hi.

BeauMan
15th Dec 2003, 20:28
Well it's looking very much as though I'll be up for an hour out of Cambridge at 10.30 (doing some prep for my QXC the next day), after which I'll be driving across to OW for the rest of the afternoon. Should be good fun... :ok:

1pudding1
15th Dec 2003, 22:00
I'll be taking my first lesson, quite appropriate really! :D

Aim Far
15th Dec 2003, 23:25
I'll be taking delivery of my first airplane!

MR TEDDY
16th Dec 2003, 00:11
I've got a 40 minute slot at 09:00 from Wycombe - and will be dressed in period costume...well, it is only once every hundred years, so I can afford to look like a pillock!!

Mike Cross
16th Dec 2003, 00:43
Kolibear
M-o-t-F - photos of me on finals will be appreciated, photos of my landings will NOT!!
How about in between your landings? I note you did offer them in the plural!;)

Robin and I should be at Old Warden in the Luscombe G-BTCH, arriving around 09:50

Mike

stiknruda
16th Dec 2003, 02:12
Have booked myself in, Anglia News wx seems encouraging if not fly-tastic.

MOTF, DB - it's the small purple bipe!

Stik

Man-on-the-fence
16th Dec 2003, 03:01
No-one and I mean no-one is to land before 10am, they wont let me in until then :O

DamienB
16th Dec 2003, 04:57
Stik - MOTF is yer man for landing shots, I won't be arriving til later on, hopefully in time for the Reds flypast and afternoon flying.

MOTF - you can always try being a freeloader on the roadside prior to 10AM, say hi to Hairyplane when he turns up to rip you a new one though.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Dec 2003, 05:14
Chippy booked for LAC fly-out Barton to Pilling Sands. I'll do the 120 foot hop as well, as close as I can judge it, either at Barton or Pilling.

SSD

PH-UKU
16th Dec 2003, 06:30
3 of us from Glasgow Flying Club will be attempting 100 take-offs and 100 landings in a PA28 on the day !! Starting at 8am, with a couple of fuel stops, we reckon on 6-7 hrs of circuits at sunny Islay with the 100th landing planned for Prestwick at 3.35pm. ...... 100 years to the minute ! If you're over at Islay, please don't cut us up on finals as we'll need pretty tight circuits all day !!:ok:

vintage ATCO
16th Dec 2003, 06:45
There is a runway inspection tomorrow afternoon, I'll post the results as soon as I know . I aim to be at OW by 9ish on Weds but will need to inspect the place first. Once you can get an answer on 01767 627563 you'll know we are there!

PS I don't eat mince pies!

VA

Jim Morehead
16th Dec 2003, 12:01
Thank you to the Wright Boys!

A few weeks ago I was able to fly my Piper Dakota across the U.S. from Reno to Key West in two days. I think I stopped 4 times for fuel. Life would have certainly been different without the airplane invention. The new GPS we installed worked fine,but looking out of the window still works.

And of course in my real job, I still marvel at the sophistication that exists when you can fly some 800,000+pound airplane across ocean in the dark in lousy weather and still find the airport in the worst of conditions.

Thank you Wilbur and Orville and will be airbourne tonight from Taipei to Anchorage thinking about how far we have come in 100 years!

stiknruda
16th Dec 2003, 17:32
MOTF

I've been asked to arrive at 1010.

Last time someone took a photo of one of my Pitts landings, it appeared in Pilot magazine!

Stik

Man-on-the-fence
16th Dec 2003, 17:57
Stik

Is that a good or a bad thing ??

Will be there from 9ish, before 10 I will be in Evade HP mode :E

Flyboy-F33
16th Dec 2003, 18:13
Booked in to OW from Blackbushe at around 10.15,may have spare seat if anyone interested.

GG:D

DubTrub
16th Dec 2003, 18:38
Leicester (EGBG) will be open all day for all kinds of flying, no landing fees, food served all day, bar open from midday til late.

If wx is cr@p, bicycle races on the runways.

AerBabe
16th Dec 2003, 18:45
Bah humbug - looks like I can't get out of work ... even if I did develop a 'cold'. :sad:
I might have a 'doctor's appointment' early afternoon so I can pop over to Redhill on my way home and see if anything's going on. If not, I'll have to make do with throwing a paper aeroplane across the office, or jumping off a desk while flapping my arms.

FNG
16th Dec 2003, 19:00
Bah humbug, I can get away from work but have a stinking head cold with blocked up ear and nosey bits, so flying solo and/or going upside down are probably off the menu. At White Waltham the bar is open all day and they plan to mark out the lengths of the Wright brothers' flights on the active runway. As for fancy dress, very good idea, but where can one find those distinctly natty patterned socks which the famously sharp-dressed Wilbur wore in that photo of him and Orville sitting on the front step of their dad's house?

Evo
16th Dec 2003, 19:21
Bah humbug - i can get out of work and don't have a cold ... but the aeroplane has gone u/s :{

Circuit Basher
16th Dec 2003, 20:28
I'll be operating from Perth (wx permitting) and currently have a vague plan to meet up with Grainger (an eggbeater flyer!) in the Tipsy Nipper at Fife at around 1000. Any other PPRuNers welcome to identify themselves and join in the festivities!

matspart3
16th Dec 2003, 22:10
Cotswold Aero Club at Gloucester are planning to fly 100 people during the course of the day and there's another chap who's planning to fly all the types/classes on his licence raising money for charity...something like Glider, Falke (the tug), Stampe, Harvard, JetRanger, King Air and Citation..could be more.

Various other visitors booked in and cheap landing fees if you refuel...I could probably throw in an ATC tour if anyone's interested...

I'll be getting the Cub out at some point during the day, provided the weather's like it is tody...fingers crossed!!

vintage ATCO
17th Dec 2003, 01:14
Runway inspected at Old Warden today and it's OK.

VA

QNH 1013
17th Dec 2003, 01:41
Great runway news Vintage ATCO. This time I'm bringing the conventional tailwheel Europa; (it was the yellow Jodel last time). I'll also bring some warm clothes as it was bitter at the airfield this afternoon.
ETA 1000z or slightly before depending on wind and possible early morning mist.
I just feel Old Warden is the most appropriate place to be tomorrow, given that I can't make Kitty Hawk.
Mrs QNH is very frustrated that she can't get the time off work. I've suggested she does an Aerbabe type off-desk flight. However, she thought a better idea was for me to fly over her office on the way home.

Zlin526
17th Dec 2003, 04:23
Somebody asked me to ferry an aeroplane for them tomorrow, but I cant get out of the office....:{

Hope the WX is crap! (only joking, hope you all have an excellent day out)

Z

Phoenix09
17th Dec 2003, 04:42
I am going to phone Old Warden for PPR in the morning and, hopefully, pop into there around lunchtime. Sounds like it could be quite a good day. :D

vintage ATCO
17th Dec 2003, 05:20
Phoenix09 call us on 01767 627563 after 0900 and we'll see what we can do. It's going to be very busy but dare say there's always room for one more! :D

Entry by air or road is the standard museum entry £7.50 per adult, kids free. Probably reduced or even free if you're a SVAS member, well worth joining!! All the fee goes to keeping Shuttleworth aircraft flying!

VA

soppybeagle
17th Dec 2003, 07:49
AerBabe, don't know about rest of Redhill, but Cubair and some private owners flying out to Yeovilton. If back early enough will be some warmed up machines and possible chance of a jolly.

QNH 1013
17th Dec 2003, 14:38
Its still dark, but wx looks ok. Setting off now for airfield to de-ice europa. Hope to see some of you at Old Warden.

Courtman
17th Dec 2003, 14:58
Right, I'm off to Luton now to pick up a TB20 for an epic trek to Old Warden (with luck at least half the cylinders will have warmed by the time we land!) See you all there...!

By the way, did anyone find anything in AIS about the Red Arrows being in the vicinity of Old Warden? I've looked at the briefing and can't find anything... Oh well, I know about it anyhow!

Kolibear
17th Dec 2003, 15:24
Reds due in the vicinity of OW at about 14:20. According to the notams they depart Sampton 13:57, hold at St Neots, over fly Hendon and return to Scampton at 14:40 (?). They will be at 1500' Max in Luton & London CTRs.

times are from memory - check notams for specifics.

Weather looks excellent, just about to leave for North Weald!

Jhieminga
17th Dec 2003, 15:54
Still at work right now but I will be at EHLE this afternoon and take out a Ce172 for some sightseeing and circuits. No further heroic acts planned yet, need to calculate my accelerate-stop distance + 120 feet ;)

Weather is looking good! Have fun everyone :ok:

FlyingForFun
17th Dec 2003, 16:24
To everyone who's flying today:

Have fun! :ok:

But spare a thought for all us office-bound aviators :(

FFF
-------------

EEJay
17th Dec 2003, 16:34
Hope to get a prolonged lunch break and take the Beagle Pup for a brief tour around Derby and Burton. Wx looking good at the moment so should be able to celebrate in the appropriate style.

To every one else celebrating:

Have a GREAT day. :O

AerBabe
17th Dec 2003, 16:35
Thanks soppybeagle, but I think it's a bit late for me now.
I chickened out of wearing my "Remove Before Flight" t-shirt to the office, but I do have my aeroplane pendant on. At tonight's departmental Christmas dinner I shall raise a glass to the Brothers Wright.

Anyway, I always liked to do things differently, so I shall celebrate 101 years of powered flight next year. :ok:

skydriller
17th Dec 2003, 18:14
Well, I took my celebratory flight at 10:35 local time, a double celebration for me as its my birthday too.:)
Decided against the 100-200ft hop idea as was not sure about the safety of it at our strip. So initial plan was to just have a bit of a jolly around the local chateaux - as the viz was superb, but the crosswind had got stronger on my return 30mins later and so I decided to also do some circuits. Xwind & turbulance on approach getting more viscus all the time I decided to quit while ahead after 4 circuits, but all good fun!!

Regards, SD..:ok:

FlyingForFun
17th Dec 2003, 19:32
Nice one, SD! :ok:

Still waiting for more reports of anniversary flights. Personally, I've folded my paper aircraft, and when the rest of my team return from their lunch-break I will have a go at convincing them to celebrate with me.

FFF
-------------

Evo
17th Dec 2003, 19:57
Done my flight - took a bit of effort to find myself an aeroplane, but in the end found a PA-28 (the one I did my QXC in, no less)... :D :D

Glorious day down here at Goodwood, couldn't ask for better. :ok:

tb10er
17th Dec 2003, 21:45
Unfortunately I am flying a desk today.

The group a/c is stuck in it's Star Annual. Still, we can look forwards to the 200th celebrations as it won't fall during the 3 year star annual (ever the optimist).

EEJay
17th Dec 2003, 22:36
Done it:D :D

Horrible inversion layer kept me pretty close to the circuit but I managed a half hour. Feeling very smug.:ok:

PPPPP
17th Dec 2003, 22:45
Didn't do it! Fog at Barton from first thing until my slot ran out...some intrepid IMC-holding types did manage bad-weather circuits later on and one or two "go-and-touches", as the hops were christened.

AerBabe
17th Dec 2003, 22:47
Done it! Threw my paper aeroplane across the office twice, explained why to a few people, and am now back inputting invoices... :zzz:

MR TEDDY
17th Dec 2003, 22:50
I managed to get in the air at Wycombe Air Park at 09:15 this morning with my flying partner for the day, John White. We shared 3 circuits between us. John completed 2 circuits (the 2nd was a go around because of intense activity - lucky ******!). We then swopped seats in the hold (engine off of course) after which I completed my single circuit.

What a fab morning and how privelidged do I feel!!!!!

I've got a few digital pici's (worth seeing as we were in period dress!!) but have no idea how to upload them to this site...anyone got any suggestions?

I trust everyone managing to get up in the skies today has a wonderful time...and if you are unlucky enough to be flying a desk, I hope the jubilant postings on this site help make you feel part of the occassion.

Regards,
Mr Teddy.

Evo
17th Dec 2003, 22:52
Mr. Teddy, if you can email them to me I can host them...

[email protected] :)

stiknruda
17th Dec 2003, 23:27
Strapping in this morning about 0920 - a 4 ship of Tornados went overhead at about 200' and very bloody quickly, looked like they were rtb at Marham. Started up, taxied out...

Home to Old Warden, landed at 1010 as requested - more luck than judgement!

Met up with some chums, watched a babe interview the Boxkite pilot, watched the Boxkite fly - v impressive. Watched G-KEST lech at forementioned babe - not so impressive, then I suppose at that age he can get away with most things!!

Departed at lunchtime - 3 ship. No 1 and 2 then went off to practice for our formation DA whilst 3 headed to Booker.

30 mins of formation later - 1 went to Leicester for lunch, I went off to Old Buck, where....

I bumped into more chums.

Headed home at 1515 - shot down a Lynx south of Norwich and then headed home arriving in the overhead at 1535, loop, roll off the top, power back and glide approach.

Just tucked purple beastie away in hangar and a Wokka Wokka overflew the strip at about 70' - I'd heard him for ages before he appeared behind the hedge and went straight over the strip.

Horse in, dog fed, cup of tea in hand, checked work e-mail, all quiet. Aaah.....

I do feel that I have had a marvellous day. Loads of aeroplanes and some chums.

Next excitement is my weekly Tesco.com delivery at 21h

Stik

Circuit Basher
17th Dec 2003, 23:56
Yes, I was indeed out this morning, committing the aviating sin! Could only get the aircraft from 0900 - 1100, so just planned a quick triangular flit from Perth to Dundee (around 15 miles!) and on to Fife (as I'd never been to Dundee before). That plan got scuppered whilst I was in the air (due to cloudbase to the East of 1500 ft and descending!), but it was clearer to the South and I went to Fife International Spaceport (at Glenrothes) instead! Had a cup of tea and a Twix (which tasted like it was 100 yrs old!!), then went back for tea and medals at Perth!! Had half a plan to meet Grainger (an R22 eggbeater PPRuNing instructor from Cumbernauld) there, but he was a bit delayed by wx and I had to return the aircraft to Perth, so I just heard him calling Fife as I was transferring to Perth frequency on my way out.

Decided that a defective EGT gauge was an acceptable deferred fault on a day like today (besides, only found out about it once I was in the air!!).

Here's to another 100 yrs!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Dec 2003, 23:59
We Barton pilots had planned to fly out to Pilling Sands, near Fleetwood - Lancashire's very own Kittyhawk. Well, the weather bu**ered that; Barton has enjoyed fog all day. Thick fog this morning, slightly thinner fog this afternoon. And only a mile or so down the road it was clear blue sky and sunshine. Such are the joys of being based on Barton Moss; it's damp and low-lying and a real fog hole. No wonder Manchester moved its airport to Ringway, not on a bog and 200 feet higher.

So all I managed was a hop in the Chipmunk down the runway - accelerate, take off, chop the power, land back on. Barton is quite short so this isn't easily done. I think I managed about 120 feet.

Quite an appropriate celebration, I suppose. But Pilling would have been fun and it'll be another 100 years before we can try to do that again ;~)

SSD

Penguina
18th Dec 2003, 00:05
:{ :{ :{

Happy birthday powered flight!!!

OK, Penguina (and Penguinetta) had a day of leave, an aeroplane booked, nice-looking weather and had it all planned to go flying in tandem this afternoon with a couple of mates.

Unfortunately, they were also lying on the sofa with tonsillitis. :(

We threw a paper aeroplane made from an old plogger all the way across the living room at 1535, however, so all was not lost. :O Tried to make it last 12 seconds, but it kept entering a spiral dive (pilot error, not design fault, honest), so gave it 6 2 second flights instead. (OK, we've been spending too much time alone together!)

Nice to read about everyone's days and lack of airproxes (reported so far).

Will try again in 50 years, huh?

Phoenix09
18th Dec 2003, 00:13
Had an excellent day! :D

Spent the first hour de-icing the plane... not so good... then a Jodel lost it's tailwheel and all the groundcrew manned the fire appliances so very long queues developed at the pumps but not a problem as everybody seemed to be in such a good mood today! Jodel landed safely by the way with remarkably little damage. I don't think that I have ever seen White Waltham so busy, not even on a beautiful summers day.

Eventually got airborne and headed off to Old Warden. Excellent service from Luton ATC up through the corridor, had to orbit for a short while whilst some Easyjet types plonked themselves down on Luton's runway then into Old Warden for the first time. Very busy and I arrived too late to see the Box Kite fly but had a look round the museum and some lunch, discovered that the Red Arrows weren't flying by after all so headed off back for home before the sun got even lower in the sky. Lots and lots of traffic on the way back but a good service from Luton Approach again and safely back to a very crowded clubhouse at White Waltham.

All in all a very enjoyable day! :D :D :D

Grainger
18th Dec 2003, 00:14
Yeah, just a few minutes too short. Next time, CB :ok:

After a short delay, managed to get into the air at exactly 10:35, so did a quick 12-second / 30-yard hop before heading off to Fife tea and bun shop for a coffee and a rock cake.

Had with me photos of Wilbur and Orville, Concorde :{ and Beagle II :ok: as a sort of past, present and future kind of thing. Back at base, got a neat commemorative stamp in my logbook.

One of the guys at Cumbernauld took a strip of cloth from the original Flyer into the air in a microlight - there was a film crew there so watch out for it on the scottish news this evening.

Congrats to all who made it into the air to mark the occasion today.

G :cool:

Mike Cross
18th Dec 2003, 00:44
A little gentle de-icing followed by a gentle trip from Popham to Old Warden.

Robin had the worst of it, having to fly with the sun in his eyes on the way back and being carved up on finals by a microfright at Popham on our return, necessitating a go-around.

All in all a hell of a lot better than a day at the office!

Mike

stillin1
18th Dec 2003, 00:54
Two hrs twenty, bit of tanking and some combat. Nice way to celebrate.:cool:

aces low
18th Dec 2003, 01:07
Set off to day from Blackpool to Elvington to celebrate 100 anniversary of flight at the Elvington Fly In near York. Fog was rolling in at Blackpool as we departed, then Leeds Zone to get to York one hour later. The weather at Elvington was awful....down to 600m visibility in fog. The air was also thick with aircraft arriving for the fly in (85 were due to turn up between 10 and 12 this morning). So we elected to head back to Blackpool...where the weather on reaching was less 1500m visibility in fog, also.

First approach was NDB to Runway10 but we couldn't see any runway lights and had to go around. We then decide to go for an ILS to R28 (with a tailwind!) rather than head back to Leeds (everywhere else was fogbound). This time we were successful...but only just as I was just about to go around as we had reached 200' and half-scale localiser deflection (not bad from the RHS ...but could do better). Hair raising stuff!! Typical British weather for any fly-in...I should have known better

p.s. there are around 85 Christmas dinners at Elvington if anybody is feeling hungry and wants to drive round to get them!

BeauMan
18th Dec 2003, 01:08
Well, I'm delighted to be able to say that my logbook contains the cherished date, 17/12/03.

Nothing ground breaking, just an hour of practicing emergencies and other bits and bobs prior to tomorrow's QXC (which takes me Cambridge - Leicester - Norwich - Cambridge. Give us a wave, eh? :) ) I did harbour some rather romantic idea of doing a symbolic 120 foot hop, and if you count the distance between bounces one and two on today's landing, I reckon I've done it! :ok:

And then on (by car) to Old Warden, my first visit for years. It won't be my last! Stood for a good couple of hours grinning at the sight of the two Maggies and the Tiger Moth chugging around. Also nice to see Airbedane getting up in HP's Falcon. As for the Boxkite, well... what an absolutely captivating machine, flown beautifully. I especially enjoyed watching the hop on the way to the runway, definately one of those images that I'll never forget. All in all, that Boxkite display was thoroughly deserving of the applause at the end.

I'd just like to thank all at OW for putting on such a wonderful display. Cheers guys. :ok:

EyesToTheSkies
18th Dec 2003, 01:26
37 minutes, out & back to Stapleford.

My 100th flight in a C152.

At the magic hour (15:35 GMT), watched the sun set with a pint of Boddies to toast the Wright brothers. (I'd landed by this point)
:O

All in all an enjoyable and reflective day.

Whirlybird
18th Dec 2003, 01:44
I had an R22 booked from 13.00 to 14.30, the plan being to give my mate Paul a trial lesson. He's a f/w pilot who's temporarily lost his medical, so that way he could log it too.

I got to Hawarden at 12.00 in fog. No-one was flying, and the place was nearly deserted. Then I got told I couldn't do a lesson, as the QHI had gone home, and as a FI(R) I need to be supervised. Paul arrived, and we agreed he'd come as a passenger. I phoned ATC, and asked if we could hover-taxi the length of the runway. No, they said, not until the vis got up to 600 m; it was now about 300m. "If you turn over", said the friendly ATCO, "we won't see you and the fire trucks won't find you". :eek: Fair comment I suppose. We decided to wait and see if the fog lifted, although Paul had driven in from the hills, which had sunshine, and could see the inversion layer holding the fog down. :(

We called ATC an hour later, and another ATCO, who basically said he was busy with an ILS approach, said the vis was still too bad. We had coffee, "A" checked the helicopter, and waited. Then the ops manager said she wanted to go home! :{ It was cold, no-one was flying; she wanted to lock up and go. However, she agreed that I could have the aircraft key, tech log etc, and leave them in the helicopter if I managed to fly. :)

So we stayed in the hangar out of the icy wind (20kt cold wind AND fog!!!) and phoned ATC again an hour later, when the vis looked better, ie we could see half way across the airfield. This time I was prepared, and just asked for permission to lift, hover-taxi to the next hangar, come back, and shut down. I heard one ATCO tell another: "It's those helicopter people again!". Then another ATCO came on the line and said they could only handle one aircraft movement at a time in the poor vis, but that unless the police had to leave they had nothing happening for half an hour, could we be out and back by then. You bet we could!!!!! :) :)

So we dragged Bugsy (G-BVGS) out of the hangar, started up, hover taxied out on to the airfield, then to the helipad a third of the way down the runway, did a spot turn, and hover-taxied carefully back. I'd hoped to air taxi (get to about 30 ft and 30kts) but the vis was so poor I didn't really feel it was safe to even do that. :eek: But...we made it!!! We were airborne, on December 17th 2003 :) :) :) Who cares that it was only 10 minutes, at about 4 ft, and...er...maybe 5kts at most? We dragged Bugsy back into the hangar, cold but happy.

So do we get the prize for the lowest slowest flight???

S-Works
18th Dec 2003, 01:51
Well I also managed Old Warden as planned along with a total 4:50 of flying today. Capped it all off with a fantastic night flight back home. Great to get the centenary date in my log book and great to see so many other aviators out celebrating the event.

Fantastic standards of airmanship shown today even with the sky's so crowded. I had a great day and would like to thank all of my fellow aviators for being part of this great occassion.

Long may it continue

Southern Cross
18th Dec 2003, 01:58
Despite glorious conditions at Booker, I can honestly say that I underachieved as compared with the Wright Borthers of 100 years ago. Since I am still awaiting a test permit for my Jungmann, all I could do was haul her out into the sun, get her started and do about 20 minutes of engine runs on my 65 year old Hirth engine....which runs like all good German engineering should

And she did look very pretty in the sun. So that is some consolation.:) :) :)

QDMQDMQDM
18th Dec 2003, 02:29
Beautiful flying day South-west, good turnout at Eggesford -- 30 or so visiting aircraft. Took my 100-year old lady flying (and they all said she'd never get in the cub!). She loved it. Amply covered on BBC Spotlight and ITV Carlton early evening regional TV news.

Great day.

QDM

ACW 335
18th Dec 2003, 02:44
Have to say...the south of england was marvellous as usual today (despite it being like the M25 in the sky!). Beautiful all day and i enjoyed all of the 1:05hrs i flew for even if it was blindingly sunny towards the end of the day!:cool:

Anyone else thing we should have a day like this every year...so everyone can bunk off work and go flying (for a good reason!)

cubflyer
18th Dec 2003, 03:16
What a superb day, not a cloud in the sky, great viz and almost no wind. Had a great flight down to Old Warden, bounced on landing like nearly everyone else! Saw the Boxkite fly at 10.35 met up with lots of friends, saw about 70 visiting aircraft, then off to Turweston for another fly-in. A similar number of visitors, lots more friends to chat to, then off back to Leicester landing 20 min or so before dark. Fantastic. Sorry to hear about the poor weather up north though.

fireflybob
18th Dec 2003, 03:38
Just done some night flying - a great night to be airborne in the East Midlands - clear conditions, no moon.

Remember that some told the Wright Brothers they were mad to even try and that they would never succeed. Where would we be if they had listened to the "dream stealers"?

djk
18th Dec 2003, 03:54
It was a lovely day down in the South-East of England, although a little bit hazy.
And today was the day of my PPL skills test
which I am very pleased to say that I passed :D

At the time of 15:35 GMT, I was waiting at the holding point of Rwy 16 at Rochester in a mate's RV6 for a quick celebratory flight and then back to the airfield again :ok:

Kolibear
18th Dec 2003, 04:05
What a wonderful day! And it was also the sort of weather we dream about.

Mrs K & I got to North Weald at about 9:30 to discover that there was ain mpromptu Fly-in planned. We deiced the Koliber and took off for Old Warden at about 10:30, so we missed the Boxkite. There was an incredible number of aircraft arriving at Old Warden so a big thank you to Vintageatco for getting us all in safely.

I managed a half-decent landing - and Man-on-the-fence has photographic evidence of it too! But even at 11:00 the flight line was full so we parked at the very far end where shortly afterward mcross parked 'The Bitch' next to us. A Hawk did a low fly-by so we all waved vigorously. It was a bit embarrassing to walk the length of the flight line (I lost count at about 30 aircraft) and realise that I could only identify about 10 of them - hope Santa bring me a copy of The Observers Book of Light Aircraft!

Its been 15 years since we last visited Shuttleworth and I'd forgotten just how good it is. Its amazing to see so many old aircraft and even more amazing to realise that most of them are airworthy.

We met a few ppuners -stiknruda, mcross, Blue Robin and man-on-the-fence.

We saw the World's Most Beautiful Aeroplane's No 1 and No 2, (Spitfire and Comet), before heading off to Koli, Mrs K clutching her latest purchase, a Shuttleworth Teddy Bear pilot to go with the other six who just happened to have stowed away with us to join in the celebration!

The flight back to North Weald was uneventful, even though it was very hazy into the sun. After a cuppa and something to eat, we did it all over again! A short local flight over our respective workplaces so we could feel suitable sorry for our desk-bound colleagues - not!

So it was that we managed to be rejoining the circuit at 15:35, 100 years to the minute.

We were amazed at the number of aircraft that we saw during the day - a lot of aviators must have made the effort. North Weald recorded about 70 movements and made the evening news when a ppruner took a 100yr old lady for her first flight.

Thanks to all who made this a day to remember, especially the Weather Gods,

White Bear
18th Dec 2003, 04:11
Had to wait until about 11.00 am before the ceilings lifted, then suddenly it was beautiful clear skies, temps about 15 deg F. no wind.
The wait gave me plenty of time to shovel the snow away from the hanger. Icy runway, but once up it was 'severe clear' above the inversion layer at 1000ft. 3 takeoffs and landings to stop, just like the Bros.
Wonderful to join you guys, albeit from afar.
Regards,
White Bear.
N.B. Driving rain this AM at Kitty Hawk, so I doubt they flew.
They did have the pleasure of listening to GW'ds latest verbal epic though.....

javelin
18th Dec 2003, 05:04
We got airborne in the Champ at 1200, went to Elvington for the fly in but it was fogged - ended at Bagby for chips and tea ! Tried again, still fogged, ended at Breighton for another tea !

Got airborne at 2.30 to go to another strip, call came in - Elvington was clearing, so we went there again and landed in misty conditions.

Got airborne again and went over to my friend's strip at Harrogate where he had just got his Tiger Moth out to fly at 3.35/10.35. Had a chat, light fading, we flew again back to Walton Wood - climbed to 4,500 feet to stretch the sunset and landed just before it went down. Adjourned to the pub for a couple of swift ales and then home.

Managed to put a mini speech about the Wright's achievement on the tape at LBA smack on the time they got airborne.

What a glorious day !

PH-UKU
18th Dec 2003, 05:18
What a fantastic day ..... still on a high ......:ok: 100 legal circuits in the same public cat a/c at licensed airfields :-)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3326037.stm

Thanks to everyone who helped and supported us - Highland and Island Airports (Islay and Campbeltown), Glasgow Prestwick International, Prestwick Flight Centre and West of Scotland PFA and BACX for the jerrycans !! Particular mentions to Niall at Islay for the venison and for getting dizzy watching us go round and round and round - Chris in the Tower at Prestwick for slotting us in to do the 100th landing at 1535hrs ...... 100 years to the minute..... and John Stevens at PIK for getting up early to let us in !! Thanks one and all. Here's to 2103 !

Now drinking some Ardbeg
www.ardbeg.com
in honour of Orville and Wilbur. Cheers guys, here's to the next centenary !

Saab Dastard
18th Dec 2003, 05:32
Great stories, Guys and Gals - :ok:

Congratulations to everyone who made it into the air (and back again safely)

Commiserations to everyone who was "up there in spirit" - especially Penguina.

Unfortunately I was in the latter camp today, :{ but I did tell everyone in the office that it was 100 years ago today etc. (and looked out the window a lot) :sad:

Cheers

SD

HelenD
18th Dec 2003, 05:46
I had a great night flight and managed to get up to 8000ft over the IOW, the weather was perfect. i did get alot of orbit practice in though as it was Southampton's busy hour. It was not a problem though as I was more interested in finding my way back to the airfield than doing circuits.

Wycombe
18th Dec 2003, 05:50
Busier than a busy day at Wycombe today (made a Summer Sunday look tame!) as we all strove to get our short flights in (the Club rationed us to short slots as so many wanted to fly).

Couldn't have wished for much better wx for the time of year, which meant it was heaving with all manner of aeronautical activity.

Managed 2 flights, one as P1 in the Club 172R (3 circuits only due to time) and one in the back (including 4 traffic-induced go-arounds!) of a 182S.

Well done to all at WAC for making it happen and making it fun - fab period costume ladies :ok:

Some decent wedge raised for RAFBF aswell :ok:

Kingy
18th Dec 2003, 06:42
Great Day!

Dragged the 'ol Cub out, flew into Glos, Cotswold aero club had planned to get 100 people in the air during the day.. when we arrived at 14.20 they had already made it. As a sorta member my pax and I were number 105/6 for the day - well done! Had a cuppa in the sunshine whilst watching almost uninterrupted movements. Hats off the Glos ATC as they were working extremely hard and doing a great job..

We were airborne again by 15.00 and routed back to Eastbach - then followed an in-promtu formation session with Adrian in the Taylorcraft who we found loafing about in the overhead. After that we counted down to 15.35 and celebrated with a few wing-overs, stalls and steep turns. Then it was back for a few circuits culminating in a perfect landing up the 100m bank - Yey!

It's a privilege to fly any day, but today was special - it was an honor.

Kingy

paulo
18th Dec 2003, 06:54
I didn't fly...:(

...but seeing this made me smile. We like Google. :D

http://www.google.com/logos/flight.gif

Evo
18th Dec 2003, 13:44
Javelin's pics :)

http://www.eudoxus.dsl.pipex.com/pprune/javelin1.JPG

http://www.eudoxus.dsl.pipex.com/pprune/javelin2.JPG

http://www.eudoxus.dsl.pipex.com/pprune/javelin3.JPG

http://www.eudoxus.dsl.pipex.com/pprune/javelin4.JPG

Mr. Teddy - i got your PM, picture hasn't arrived yet though

Jhieminga
18th Dec 2003, 16:11
Sorry to hear that the weather hasn't been cooperating for everyone! Over here in The Netherlands the day started with some clouds but the afternoon was CAVOK!
So I took out a C172 and did some sightseeing together with a mate of mine. Got back to the airfield (EHLE) with the sun low in the sky and did three circuits while it slowly sank towards the horizon. Brilliant sight to have a sunset at the time of landing (although having it right in front of you while on finals isn't all that great!). Shutdown was at 15:30 GMT so I finished my flight just within the first century of powered, controlled flight!

Local aerobatic pilot Frank Versteegh commemorated the centenary by attempting to visit all the airfields in the country (except glider fields). The goal was 25 but he managed 26 take offs and landings during the day, all at different airfields in Holland!

FNG
18th Dec 2003, 16:15
A big crowd and a very festive atmosphere at Waltham, with aircraft of every type milling around. The wintry sun and moderate haze made for two atmospheric flights, with a landing a little after sunset from the second one. Unexpectedly, the circuit was very quiet at 1535, and one lucky aviator had the field all to himself for a departure at that time. It wasn't me, as I was sitting strapped in at the controls but waiting for a friend to land and leap out of his Cub and leap in beside me to complete his total of four types for the day. A very good day.

bar shaker
18th Dec 2003, 16:33
We took 9 microlights and a Jet Ranger from Essex to Bembridge for lunch in the Propeller Inn.

I was in the air at 07:45 and landed back at 16:05. A real dawn to dusk day.

Best of all, during the day I passed my 100 hours of flight.

11 other microlights turned up at Bembridge, but we only saw 7 GA come in. I guess everyone was at OW. Irrespective, the Prop Inn was packed solid.

On the way back we flew along the coast to Newhaven before heading North. A fantastic days flying and we were in the air at 10:35 and 15:35, so had both options covered.

Blind lemon
18th Dec 2003, 18:26
Good to hear about everybodys trips yesterday.

I managed trip to Duxford. When we got there it was a
pleasure to find it was a reduced landing fee including free museum entrance to celebrate the day. There was a good
GA turn out with a constant stream of arrival and departures
all afternoon.

I would post some photos but not sure how.

It was definately a better than average flying day

:D :D :D

Aim Far
18th Dec 2003, 18:34
What a fantastic day!:D

In the morning, we flew from White Waltham to Barkston Heath in a PA28 to collect my new toy. Flew right over the top of some Harriers taking off. The Barkston boys were practicing their formation take offs and we could see smoke from the Reds practicing at Scampton in the distance. Flew said toy (T67) back to WW over lunchtime. A bite to eat and some aeros and circuits later in the afternoon (recovering from a spin at 15.35) and a couple of solo circuits as the sun went down. The atmosphere in the club house was excellent. This is what days off should be about and it makes up for missing Concorde.

Here's to the next 100 years and the 200th anniversary fly-in on Mars! We'll still probably be debating whether it was Burt Rutan or some farmer in New Zealand or some random Brazilian who put us there...

Rallye Driver
18th Dec 2003, 20:27
I have to agree, what an amazing day! Went to Le Touquet for a fine seafood lunch.

Beautiful calm conditions. L2K a bit hard to see in the haze and into the sun (though being right next to the estuary helps!), but coming back I could see the British coast from the French side (about 40 miles or more).

I also got my 200 hours P1 on the same flight, so a double cause for celebration.

RD

DamienB
18th Dec 2003, 22:47
10.35 - I was taking a photo of a Tornado F.3 formating alongside, with me @ 15,000 feet over the North Sea in a TriStar courtesy RAF Brize Norton/216 Squadron

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/pprune/1035.jpg

12.15 - in the jump seat of the TriStar @ 500 feet doing a flypast over Brize to commemorate the 100 years

15.35 - I was taking a photo of the Boxkite at Old Warden, with me @ 15 feet over the grass on the tower (so not flying, but no on the ground!!) courtesy Shuttleworth/Airbedane

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/pprune/ow10003.jpg

So all in all most chuffed with myself, and the hospitality of those mentioned above :cool:

Edited to add the actual pics taken at 1035/1535.

Brooklands
19th Dec 2003, 01:24
A truly excellent day. As Wycombe has already said the airfield was very busy. There were at least 100 members of our club (WAC) who wanted to fly on the day. Almost the entire fleet was used (the exceptions being the aircraft used for CPL/IR training). The club put on an excellent event, providing mince pies, sausage rolls, nibbles and drinks through the day. We also raised over £300 for the RAF benevolent fund in a raffle

I managed to fly a circuit in each of four different types. I started in the Cessna182S, then moved to the 152 (which I hadn't flown for about 8 years!). I followed the 152 with the PA28, and finished off in a 172 taking off just before sunset, and landing about ten minutes later. I had hoped to fly a twin as well, but one went U/S with a starter problem on Tuesday evening, and the other was busy all day doing IR training.

ATC were absolutely superb in managing all the aircraft. The circuit was very busy: regularly having five or more aircraft in it. I was later told it was one of the busiest days ever at the airfield!

Fly Stimulator
19th Dec 2003, 05:41
It was a wonderful day wasn't it? The sky in the south east was as full as it is on a summer weekend; there was obviously a mass boycott of paid employment by the nation's private pilots.

I made the short flight from Denham up to Old Warden, passing over Luton on the way. I arrived in the middle of the Boxkite's first display and had a good view of it as I and a dozen others circled above. As soon as the display finished we all sorted ourselves out and landed without any dramas. By late morning there were so many aircraft there that later arrivals had to park on the far side of the field.

It was my first visit to Old Warden for years, and the first time that I've ever flown in there, so it was a doubly special occasion for me. After two or three hours looking around the museum and watching the flying I flew over a private strip near Daventry and let a friend take my aircraft for a quick flight just so that he could get the date in his logbook too. Then back to Denham just before sunset followed by a night flight to Southend and back as a passenger to admire the lights of London, followed by a curry with a big group of fellow pilots to round off the day.

A superb end to a great flying year, and striking to think of everything which has happened in the world of aviation in the last 100 years. My grandmother is 101 - amazing to think that it is all contained within the liefspan of people still alive today.

A few shots from Old Warden:

http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/OldWarden/DSCF0034.JPG

http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/OldWarden/DSCF0014.JPG

http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/OldWarden/DSCF0016.JPG

http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/OldWarden/DSCF0038.JPG

And to nicely sum up the day -

http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/OldWarden/face.jpg

UV
19th Dec 2003, 07:53
General Manager at North Weald (!) sent to collect a special passenger for her first flight while I got the aircraft ready.

She had never flown before (even on holiday) and in fact has never been outside the UK.

Whilst airborne she knew where we were all the time and even recognised the road she used to live in.

In nearly 40 years I have to say that she was the most relaxed passenger that I have ever flown.

Got on ITV and BBC News too!

Florie was 100 last June.

Mike Cross
19th Dec 2003, 17:13
Just a reminder

If you were airborne on the 17th please go here (http://www.aopa.co.uk/celebratory_flyout/index.html) and register your flight.

You don't have to be an AOPA member, you can print out a commemorative certificate, and it's FREE!

Mike :ok:

Evo
20th Dec 2003, 00:36
And some pictures from Mr.Teddy :)

http://www.eudoxus.dsl.pipex.com/pprune/MrTeddy1.jpg

http://www.eudoxus.dsl.pipex.com/pprune/MrTeddy2.jpg

http://www.eudoxus.dsl.pipex.com/pprune/MrTeddy3.jpg

http://www.eudoxus.dsl.pipex.com/pprune/MrTeddy4.jpg

http://www.eudoxus.dsl.pipex.com/pprune/MrTeddy5.jpg

http://www.eudoxus.dsl.pipex.com/pprune/MrTeddy6.jpg

DOC.400
20th Dec 2003, 01:18
What a delightful day!!

Very relaxed start with cawffee at White Waltham before my co-pilot flew us to North Weald, lousy ATC, fab bacon buttie, great atmosphere. Then on to Rochester via Thames Estuary -absolute pig to find and land into sun on 20. Caff taken over by West London Aero Club by the looks of it; chicken currey demolished. In q of ten 'planes to depart;don't know young lady on ATC, but she did a fabulaous job!!

Then back to White Waltham via o/h at Biggin and special VFR (tks heathrow Director), Brooklands museum (hats off), Virginia Water lake, + view of Smith's Lawn where Prince of Wales kept his plane in the '30's, Ascot racecourse and always delighted to call point Echo for rejoin at WW. My co-pilot, ex-BA 757 skipper, never been so close to ground across SW corner of LHR zone (usually at 3000' on Dover or Seaford departure...) and celebratory pint of Spitfire ale (what else could it be) at WW -great fun!! Lots of :).

Also grabbed 2.1 hours WW-Shobdon-Filton-WW with DOG.400 day b4 as tail gunner and navigator. Ruff!!

DOC

silvereagle
20th Dec 2003, 02:24
http://members18.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/members/compact_slide_show.pl?album_item_id=44602614

What a fun day!

Sir George Cayley
20th Dec 2003, 05:42
I had a club aircraft booked at Barton for several months so by Wednesday was agog with excitement at the prospect of commemorating the Great Day.

Along with 50 or so other club members we sat glumly in the club house hoping for a break long enough to fly. With a lapsed IMC and club rules to be obeyed there was no chance of sneaking around the circuit.

Annoyingly the skies cleared and the viz started to improve just as the sun went down! That capped it for me and I sloped off home despondant.

I was doing OK about it until I made the mistake of logging on tonite to see dozens of pix showing clearly blue skies and happy smiling people. Whilst being happy for all who managed to fly and commiserating with those forced by circumstances beyond there control to remain ground bound I am now totally fed up.

I stopped enjoying living up North some time ago but seeing those shots has convinced me that I need a radical rethink about my flying base.

Ah well only 25 years to the next anniversary

Sir George Cayley

The air is a un-navigable soup that enve-laps Bartons sodden door

andrewc
20th Dec 2003, 07:40
We had a cracking flight from Cambridge to Wellsbourne
(nr Stratford) in the most beautiful conditions, blue sky,
smooth air etc.

Following an excellent 'Touch-Down' cafe all day breakfast,
my compatriot and I were ready for the return to base.

The only flying issue was landing back onto Cambridge 23
where time & sun rendered the runway invisible bar
the PAPI lights...

-- Andrew

matspart3
20th Dec 2003, 18:48
Managed a quick 25 minutes in the Cub at lunchtime and spent the rest of the day 'Controlling' (although sometimes it was just a Damage Limitation Service)

Cotswold Aero Club flew well over 100 people during the course of the day and there were a total of 479 movements, ranging from a Discus glider to a Falcon 50!

robmay
21st Dec 2003, 02:54
Waited until it got dark then got my night rating current. Four circuits with an instructor who threw all the combinations of lights and no lights at me then one solo. A beautiful evening to be flying even if we did reject one aircraft on account of it was iced up preferring to take a warm one.:O

10W
31st Dec 2003, 05:20
Well done to PH-UKU ... looks like we might see him on that Record Breakers programme one day :ok: :}

WORLD RECORD MARKS 100 YEARS OF FLIGHT

At exactly 3.35pm on 17 December 2003, 100 years (to the minute) after the Wright Brothers' first flight, Piper Warrior G-BSYZ touched down at Glasgow Prestwick International Airport (GPIA). The aircraft and 3 pilots (John Douglas, Hamish Mitchell and Alistair Mackinnon) from Glasgow Flying Club, had just completed a record 100 take-offs and landings during the day.

Starting at 8am the team left GPIA and headed out for the Island of Islay where they completed over 80 circuits before a (prepositioned) refuelling stop at Campbeltown. Returning to Islay they completed the 99th landing and then headed back to Prestwick for the 100th landing. They will now be submitting the official log sheets to Guinness Records for confirmation.

The anniversary was an opportunity paying tribute to the spirit of all who endeavour to fly in honour of the achievement of Orville and Wilbur Wright. It is also a reminder that it is General Aviation and the "little guys" who are the bedrock of commercial aviation, providing essential support, particularly to remote communities. Without General Aviation, continually squeezed out by Government and airports alike, where will tomorrow's airline pilots come from?

Commenting later, Hamish Mitchell said they were extremely honoured to participate in the Anniversary celebrations, but slightly sad that they had made it back to Prestwick - "we were hoping to get stuck on Islay and stay overnight at the Ardbeg Distillery!"

http://www.gpia.co.uk/Images/World%20Record.jpg

The team would like to thank Highland and Islands Airports (Islay and Campbeltown), Prestwick Flight Centre, Glasgow Prestwick International Airport, Glasgow Flying Club and Air Traffic Control at Islay and Prestwick for their exceptional help on the day.

Source: Glasgow Prestwick International Airport News Story (http://www.gpia.co.uk/general/newsItem.asp?NewsItemID=96)