PDA

View Full Version : ferry flights

paul keeley
26th Nov 2003, 20:02
Can anyone help me?I looking to see if anyone has any information about ferrying planes back from the U S to the UK and Europe. Ihave a frozen ATPL . Can anyone help

bluesafrica
26th Nov 2003, 20:30
Paul,
Try Steve at Ferryflight.
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

Ferryflight deals with all kind of ferries.
Blues:ok:

JABI
30th Nov 2003, 23:19
Paul, think your hours matter more than the fact you have a frozen Atpl.
Insurance requirements can be as high as 400hrs verifiable Atlantic crossing time(meaning with an experienced pilot) before you can do it solo.
There are companies out there that will let you do it with considerable less time, even heard of a place in the UK that will let Private pilots do this sort of thing.
Maybe wise to stay away from those.
See if you can find yourself a experienced ferry pilot who will let you tag along at your own expense so you can build experience.
There is a trail of little airplanes on the bottom of the Atlantic.....

flyingfemme
1st Dec 2003, 16:02
Could you be a little more specific Paul?

To reiterate what others have said - don't try it on your own; an ATPL will not have trained you for this trip.

Fly Stimulator
1st Dec 2003, 17:55
A friend of mine accompanied the ferry pilot bringing his new SR22 back from the States a few weeks ago. He did a good write-up here (http://www.cirrus147.com/ferry_flight.htm) which gives a flavour of this sort of trip.

MLS-12D
2nd Dec 2003, 05:18
See this on-line reference (http://www.utility-aircraft.com/ferry_flight/).

These books are also worth reading:

(1) Downie, Ins and Outs of Ferry Flying (1980);

(2) Sacci, Ocean Flying: A Pilot's Guide (1980);

(3) Garrison, Long Distance Flying (1981);

(4) Wallace, Don't Call Me a Legend: the Extraordinary Story of International Pilot Charlie Vaughn (1996); and

(5) Gahlinger, The Cockpit: A Flight of Escape and Discovery (2000).

FWA NATCA
2nd Dec 2003, 10:06
There are also a lot of airplanes sitting on the bottom of the Great Lakes, quite a few still listed as missing, so the big pond (Atlantic) is nothing to fool around with. Contact an experienced company or an individual with "Documented" experience.

Mike

Chuck Ellsworth
3rd Dec 2003, 04:46
North Atlantic ferry flying is one of the last choices I would advise any relatively low time pilot to contemplate.

The North Atlantic, especially Greenland is some of the most dangerous and unforgiving places on the planet to fly.

There isn't enough money printed to interest me in flying even one trip in a single engine airplane on that route.

But that is only my own feelings about playing russian roulette with an engine.

Now if you are flying a multi engine turbine above FL180 that is another thing... :ok:

Chuck E.

englishal
3rd Dec 2003, 16:08
Ah but think of the experience :D I'd do it like a shot given half a chance.

FlyingForFun
3rd Dec 2003, 16:54
Ah but think of the experience :D I'd do it like a shot given half a chance.Yep, me too. But I think I'd like several thousand hours more in my logbook before I do it....

FFF
---------------

englishal
3rd Dec 2003, 19:10
But I think I'd like several thousand hours more in my logbook before I do
Hell no, number of hours doesn't make any difference when that single engine quits on you 200nm from land, over an arctic ocean :D And looking on the bright side, if it doesn't quit, it'd be something to tell a future airline interview board....:D

JJflyer
4th Dec 2003, 05:36
Yip... I had about 200 hours when I got in to the delivery business. Flew the Pacific and North Atlantic. Singles and twins then the turbo-props and jets.

Good experience it was. Learned a lot of weather, flying and navigation as well as workings of an aircraft. For some odd reason fuel management is close to my hart even these days.

After some really hard thinking I could not recommend ferrying small aircraft, especially singles, over any body of water that is in excess of engine out gliding distance from land. Light teins are really no better, that extra engine will only take you to the crash site... If you want to really know how dangerous the business is stop by at the flight service station in Sondre Stromfjord in Greenland (BGSF) have a look at a big map with red and black pins on. These are last known positions and crash sites, map's cluttered with those.

Being young and inexperienced is actually an asset as one does not really have a good idea of the risks involved. Companies know how keen low time pilots are for hours and experience, some even willing to fly for free.

Should one need any advice for these flights, I'll be more and happy to help.

Cheers

JJ

Ang737
19th Jan 2004, 12:32
Does anyone have info on Ferry Flights from Germany/Europe to Oz... If so PM me

Daysleeper
19th Jan 2004, 17:05
Does anyone have info on Ferry Flights from Germany/Europe to Oz... If so PM me

Yup , fly to Hamburg airport,
Have wings removed and place in 20foot container,
Pay €4500,
Get on Lufthansa and sip champagne for 24 hours.
Collect container 6 - 10 weeks later in Perth.
Bolt wings back on.
Go flying.
Simple really n only safe way.

(same deal goes for N. Atlantic)

whitingiom
20th Jan 2004, 03:15
...would it cost to ship a small single (172, Cherokee etc). from the US to Blighty?

Just a thought with the exchange rate so favourable at the mo?

stiknruda
20th Jan 2004, 06:23
To ship a light single from the US to the UK in a 40' container, as it was too long for a 20 footer, last month cost me:

£2600 for the box to go from mid west to East Anglia
$1200 to have the wings unbolted and cradles made for wings and sundry bits.

You will need to factor in VAT and insurance,

Stik

Soddit
20th Jan 2004, 20:01
On a practical note ( and hopefully not contravening the advertising rule) for those contemplating the North Atlantic this summer : good quarter mil and ( later this year) half mil charts of Greenland from <www.sagamaps.com>.As used by the Greenlandair helicopters. Easier and more up to date than TPC/ONC.

Argentomagus
1st Feb 2004, 16:45
I am looking for a company that could put a Piper 23 Apache (light twin) in a box in Europe to have it transported on the other side of the Atlantic. Any sugestions ?

Thanks for your help.

skywatcher
2nd Feb 2004, 02:40
Argentomagus. Check your PM.:ok: