PDA

View Full Version : Powerbacks

eal401
24th Nov 2003, 18:23
Just a quick question! :O

Are the following aircraft capable of powerbacks?

ATR 42/72
Beech 1900

Thanks in advance!

Miserlou
26th Nov 2003, 23:08
Just a quick answer. The ATR can and I don't know for sure but suspect that the Beech is can too.

2FLYEU
26th Nov 2003, 23:34
We've tried ourselves on a test flight on a 737/200.
and It was possible of course.

On the Mid 80's a well known Central American Airline
approaching the US over the Gulf of Mexico Had both cfm56 flamed out due to a water ingestion (boeing said it was a nacelle design problem)
They glided the 737-300 and they were lucky to find a grass field
close to the Leville VORTAC MSY area.

Landed power off....no injuries, and very proud crew.

;)

I will try to find Any web sites.

The Capt. use to be A chief pilot for the airline I was flying for.

eal401
26th Nov 2003, 23:59
Ta for the info.

2FLYEU, would be interested to learn more about that story!

TR4A
27th Nov 2003, 01:44
TACA B737 (http://aviation-safety.net/database/1988/880524-0.htm)

lomapaseo
27th Nov 2003, 06:00
(boeing said it was a nacelle design problem)

Absolutely not true.

TR4A
27th Nov 2003, 12:36
boeing said it was a nacelle design problem)

The original spinners on the fan was more pointed and are refereed to as the "Madonna Spinners" they funneled water right into the burner cans,. They were replaced with more rounder spinners refereed as the "Dolly Parton Spinners".

2FLYEU
27th Nov 2003, 15:24
Hello Fellows,
thanks for all the info.
I really learned a lot....
It's nice to have great feeback from people like you.

:ok:

ROB-x38
27th Nov 2003, 19:13
I saw a Saab340 powerback the other day - looked good! :p He swung it in, backed it up in reverse pitch and shutdown. The perfect reverse park! ;)

Avman
30th Nov 2003, 04:01
I remember watching a BEA Vanguard reversing at BHX many years ago when work in progress severely restricted parking space. T'was almost a perfect three-point-turn!

Sheep Guts
30th Nov 2003, 10:27
Powerback what do you actually mean by Powerback eal401?

Because there have been 2 differeing answers allready described here. Power Off Landing and Reversing Engines on the Ground to manuovre and taxi. Which is it?

I can assume a ATR can be reversed also a Dash8 but one needs to carefull due to the Nosewheel Wiring being affected if the Dash Nosewheel goes thru the 180DEG mark rapidly.

As for B1900 well I have seen people do it in King Airs but its highly not recommended due to F.O.D. Foreign Object Damage of the Engines and Props and high I.T.T.s . In general a High Wing mount Turbo Prop shouldnt have a Problem, but I would never myself attempt it in a B1900. Twin otter is ok. Must have good ground Marshallers or know whats behind you.

Sheep

GearDoor
30th Nov 2003, 10:38
You can back up in a B-1900, but there is a time limitation for being in reverse (or beta for that matter) to prevent overheating of the oil cooler. It must be designed to have some airflow though it on the ground.

I've also seen Northwest powerback DC-9's from the gate in MSP. (Been on one three times in fact). Kind of neat. First they check if they have normal above idle forward thrust (stopping with brakes while backing is not recommended!) Then they open the clamshells and giver!

(added a paragraph)

PAXboy
30th Nov 2003, 19:45
The question about 'Power Back', meaning to 'reverse' the a/c has been asked several times in PPRuNe and a search will show them. The answers are expanded on the ones above. That is, high mounted engines are less likely to FOD and props with negative pitch will do the job. Most jets do not do this even if they technically can, due to risk of FOD.

The other key point already mentioned, when moving backwards - keep your feet off the brakes! Close the throttles/pitch to neutral and let her cost to a stop, then brakes, set pitch/throttles and move. If you touch the brakes, she will sit on her @rse and everyone will suggest that you had something to do with it.

In an emergency? In one of the earlier threads, there was a story from a ramp operative in the 1960/70s at LHR. Winter conditions with ice on the apron and a VC-10 arrives. As it closes on terminal and the air bridge - it started to slide forward on the ice. "Big noise from back of VC-10 and it stopped moving forward!"