PDA

View Full Version : Overflight of CAMBRAI/EPINOY AB (MIL)

Aussie Andy
24th Nov 2003, 02:18
Does anyone have experience of flying overhead Cambrai / Epinoy AB (northern France)?

Seeing as its a rainy Sunday afternoon, I thought I'd do the next best thing to actually flying by doing a bit of planning for a trip we hope to fly next Spring! So, I am looking at the maps to plan route back to the UK from Luxembourg, VFR - this is planned to take place on a weekday, so I'm assuming MIL will be active.

I am planning to track back via Cambrai VORTAC "CMB" I think it should be OK. Referring to my 2001 edition COMPLEMENT AUX CARTES AERONAUTIQUES I see that: the airfield is surrounded by LF-R102 (H24), but I should simply be able to call Cambrai APP 118.52 to get authorisation to cross this airspace.
Overflight Prohibited - Camrai-Epinoy is listed amongst AERODROMES INTERDITS DE SURVOL AU-DESSOUS DE 1000 ASFCThe latter of these is new to me. On the surface of it, it would appear that I should be able to route via the VORTAC - slightly north of the airfield - as long as above 1000' ASFC (~1300 AMSL): but never having noticed this type of restriction before, I was wondering if there's more to know: could it indicate that this particular set of MIL / Restricted airspace is generally busy and difficult to get a crossing service? Should I plan a different route?

Many thanks to anyone who can help with my (dumb!) question ;)

Andy

Radar
24th Nov 2003, 12:08
Andy,
As they say, there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers .... so here's mine. Transiting Cambrai's airspace isn't a problem, you just may have to avoid the overhead. I transited through about two years ago from Beauvais to Maastricht at 3500 if memory serves me right. What routing are you planning to follow? I would have thought a route Lille Florennes Luxembourg would be more direct. As for Luxembourg itself, great city for a break but the airport was a bit of a bind the last time I was there. In any case, enjoy your self and let me know if there's anything other info you require.

Aussie Andy
24th Nov 2003, 13:42
Thanks Radar Luxembourg will be the last stop - just for lunch - on the way home: just for something different. I have been there before by scheduled service, and my wife lived there in the past. Very pleasantly surprised at the Euro 6.50 landing fee quoted, and free parking for first 2 hrs... We plan to arrive in LUX from Laon in the morning.

The routing you suggest Lux - Florennes - Lille - LAM is about 262NM, versus Lux - Cambrai - LAM which is about 265NM - so there's not much in it, but it looks a little bit simpler - thanks for the suggestion! I take it there are no issues getting across Florennes MIL or routing overhead Lille/LEQ then?

With thanks,

Andy

Thrifty van Rental
24th Nov 2003, 14:55
Your likelihood of being allowed to transit the airspace around Cambrai varies by day of the week. It is frequently active during weekdays, and usually dormant during weekends. When active, VFR transits will occasionally be approved on specific routings only.

Lille can advise. CMB lies at the southern extremity of their SIV airspace.

2D and I were discussing this very subject on another forum a couple of weeks ago. It is funny how these subjects come up so often.

GroundBound
24th Nov 2003, 15:52
Aussie

Oveflying Florennes is straightforward. Its a class B TMA - just call before entering (freq 122.5, I think). Its a common VHF freq used by all military in Belgium, so you should always prefix with "Florennes". You may of course hear others calling other mil units.

You will require a 4096 transponder, they are unlikely to let you through without. English is good, and well spoken/understood.

Have fun :-)

BTW a great game on Saturday, shame one side had to loose, but I confess a certain satisfaction to the winners :-))

GB

Aussie Andy
24th Nov 2003, 16:11
Thrifty, GroundBound, thanks: much appreciated, so sounds like Florennes / Lille is the way to go!

Gee I love PPRuNe :O

Thanks guys,

Andy

GroundBound
25th Nov 2003, 15:58
Aussi A

Don't know what access you have to information about Belgium, but here's some, in case it may help.

Florennes opening hours
Mon, Thu. Fri. 0730-1630 UTC,
Tue. Wed 0730-2000 UTC,
Sat. Sun. Pub Hols closed.

Common Approach 122.5, common Tower 122.1
If they don't answer, you can get en-route information about them from Brussels Info (126.9), or from Charleroi Tower (121.3).
When they are closed, airspace reverts to class G. Even when closed, there is an exclusion zone around Florennes, radius 5 nm and 2500ft (I think - there should be a Notam on it).

TRA26 is often open, but is usually FL95 and above.

Transition Altitude in Belgium is 4500ft, everywhere.
VFR cruising levels above 3000ft, Westbound <- 4500, Eastbound -> 3500.

Above 4500ft all airspace is class B, except within TMAs and airways. Contact Belga Radar 129.325 for clearance (4096 code transponder required). Outside military hours (more or less office hours) and between sunset and sunrise it becomes class D, contact Brussels Information 126.9 for clearance.

Below 4500ft and outside the TMAs and CTRs its class G, Brussels Information available on 126.9 (its almost like a RIS, depending on workload).

Be careful of restricted area EBR02 (5nm SE of CIV, Chievres) its radius has been extended from 2nm to 5 nm, but isn't shown on most maps. It protects SHAPE (Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers, Europe) and is radar monitored by Chievres (EBCV) - in the present terrorist-threat climate they get shirty about penetrations and may send up the F16s. Its likely to be "just" left of your track from LEQ to BFS, but I thought you might like to know, just in case.

If you want/need more, just ask :) :)

GB

Aussie Andy
26th Nov 2003, 06:19
GroundBound: further to PM, thanks very much for the above... a question though: what is TRA26? I am waiting for JEPP VFR map, so at present just looking on NavBox QuickPlan 5 and couldn't find this. The bit about all above 4500' - in the whole FIR!? - being Class B also escaped me!!! Important to know! :uhoh: Is there an online AIP/VFR guide I should have?

Cheers mate,

Andy

GroundBound
26th Nov 2003, 16:06
Andy,

check your PMs.

GB