PDA

View Full Version : Going Visual

Massey058
23rd Nov 2003, 15:43
I'm a pretty green PPL going into the CPL phase of training and I was wondering what sort of rules pilots are required to operate under when they say they are going visual or request visual. Do they still operate under IFR but now with visual references or do they now have to fly VFR meaning the need to maintain particular cloud ceiling and visibilty?

Thanks

Man Flex
23rd Nov 2003, 18:23
There's quite a difference between requesting a visual approach and cancelling IFR. When we call "visual" we are saying to the controller that we can continue the approach without vectors (controlling) although it does seem to suggest that we are then responsible for our own terrain clearance (aren't we always?). But it is still IFR. The controller will continue to keep other IFR traffic out of the way.

If we wish to "cancel IFR" (which does happen in the commercial sector perhaps in less congested parts of the world) then we are resorting to visual flight rules. We must then avoid coming into contact with terrain, cloud and all other traffic. I flew for many years under VFR but could never find a ruler long enough to measure 5km from cloud!

This is a crisis
24th Nov 2003, 04:32
Man Flex is quite right....controllers are still required to provide standard separation (i.e.3 miles or 1000') for aircraft on a visual approach. This is why sometimes you wont get one if there is other trafic around. Some pilots still dont seem to grasp this concept - some seem to think calling visual solves all the problems. Not the case I can assure you.

And yes..you then become responsible for your own terrain clearance whereas while vectoring the controller is responsible. If there is other trafic that you can see, and you want to go visual, you will probably be asked something like' are you happy to position number 2 maintaining your own separation' and if you say yes then that also becomes your responsibility. Oh, and did I mention vortex wake spacing? If you accept the responsibility for your own separation then you also accept responsibility for vortex wake spacing!!

Has that confused things even more ?:O

Massey058
24th Nov 2003, 09:58
Nah thats great thanks guys, I sort of suspected thats what it might be like.

Cheers