PDA

View Full Version : SEP Engine Failure

VORTIME
23rd Nov 2003, 06:31
Hi folks,

Does anyone have statistics of engine failures in SEPs, namely C172? I am looking to do more over-water flying but want to figure how safe/un-safe it is first!

Tx
VT

tomcs
23rd Nov 2003, 06:39
I can understand your concern but i doubt you'll find any reliable statistics because it has too many variable involved...like atmospheric conditions...Aircraft condition and pilot ability.

Tom

redsnail
23rd Nov 2003, 06:49
Most engines tend to fail when under stress or a change in load. They usually fail inflight because of fuel starvation or exhaustion. That's something you can ensure doesn't happen. Remember, the engine doesn't know that it's night or you're over water. Ignore the "auto-rough" option. :D

Final 3 Greens
23rd Nov 2003, 13:41
VORTIME

There was a debate about engine failure rates a few months ago, resulting in a couple or more threads.

As Tomcs says, it is very difficult to derive any meaningful stats.

Other variables include QA/QC standards of manufacturing and maintenance.

The basic equation you have to consider is probability (difficult to define) versus severity (calculate for your self) versus the proximity window (i.e. how long are you exposed to the risk for.)

Ultimately it all comes down to your perception/tolerance of risk and there are 3 classic strategies for dealing with risks:

1 - avoid (decide it's too dangerous)

2 - mitigate (buy ELT, dinghy, wear lifevest, file flight plan) etc

3 - accept (take a view that it's unlikely to happen to you)

You might wish to search the subject on PPrune, as there were a number of anecdotal comments from those who have and have not experienced engine problems, that may help you to take this view.

Rod1
24th Nov 2003, 19:43
The chances of a well maintained and operated engine failing, is remote. If you plan to survive a ditching by carrying the right equipment and knowing how to use it, your chances of survival are very good.

I regularly fly the short channel crossing. In my aircraft in normal conditions there is about a 2 min window where I am marginal for swimming distance to the beach.

Rod1

Flyin'Dutch'
24th Nov 2003, 20:11
I am a coward so avoid long water crossings.

When unavoidable try to take belts and braces as I dont like the scenario: 'I wish I had taken a dinghy/lifevest/ELT'

Statistics are interesting to ponder over while in your armchair but less than useless when bobbing in the salty stuff. So you have to make up your own mind and live with the consequences.

It does not happen very often but if it happens to you it does.

If you don't buy a lottery ticket as the odds are too small you should not contemplate flying in a SEP over water as the odds are a lot better (worse really) that it will happen to you!

Have fun.

FD

Aussie Andy
24th Nov 2003, 22:09
2 - mitigate (buy ELT, dinghy, wear lifevest, file flight plan) etcThis is definitely the most pragmatic approach - again you will have to make your own decisions about this as its your life!

For example, I generally don't hesitate to make the short channel crossing (say DVR - LFAC or LFAT area) as long as we have vests and wx etc. is reasonable.

I have made longer crossings a few times too, e.g. SFD - DPE or the designated VFR route from SAM to MP, but these are longer crossings so generally speaking I prefer to have a raft and ELT as well - these can be easily hired from SEMS Aerosafe (Tel: 01268 534427) at reasonable rates if your club doesn't have these. I have so far baulked at longer water crossings.

Hope this helps,

Andy

owenlars
24th Nov 2003, 23:41
Fly high, have the kit (dinghy, lifejacket, ELT, radio/gps in waterproof holder and from about November to June an immersion suit), know how to ditch and how to get out of the plane. Above all get taught how to survive in water. Without protection you have about half an hour in the water in March in the Channel (when the wter is coldest)

The following link may be useful

http://www.equipped.com/ditchingmyths.htm