PDA

View Full Version : Bearing + Distance table from Lat/Long input

Vx
8th Sep 2000, 15:03
Go to:

http://www.best.com/~williams/index.htm

about half way down the page and look at a file called 'Areanav'.
This uses a MicroSoft XL spreadsheet to convert an array of lat/longs into a 2 dimensional matrix of bearings and distances.
Its especially useful were you are working away from IFR routes, in an regular area that contains airfields, naviads, visual checkpoints, etc.
You can use the program to print up a A4 sheet that you can use for fairly rapid ad hoc flight planning in the air.

Points to note are:
1. You need to be able to use XL. Yes I know its MicroSoft Office but it does work. Allow for a 5 hour learning time before giving up. If anyone wants to make a GUI then feel free.
2. Read the instructions in the lower half of the first spreadsheet.
3. Although its been tested, if you find something you don't like or would like, my email address is on the sheet so let me know.

compressor stall
9th Sep 2000, 05:21
As one of the guinea pigs, I have been using this program for the last 5 months. I operate out of an airport which has ALAs to the east and west...much of my work is pop up charter and it has saved me a lot of time and effort in flight planning, quoting and having the heading and range to your next destination (which you only found out about 5 mins ago when the pax rocked up). Having a printout of 25 ALAs to the east, and 25 ALAs to the west amonst the maps is great.

A great tool! THanks for the work Vx...

------------------
Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
William Blake

Max Torque
9th Sep 2000, 14:26
Very nice!
I have been looking for a great circle calculator for a long time (never having got around to doing it myself), and this is very neat!
Many thansk, Vx.