PDA

View Full Version : BA flights using Charlie in callsign

Lump Jockey
21st Nov 2003, 05:12
What's the deal with using the phonetic "Charlie" at the end of certain BA callsigns? Eg: 918C, (if that's a flight, ain't sure)!
I also read somewhere which other letters are used, not necessarily BA, but certain letters indicate something apparent with the flight, such as a ferry. Any help plzz?
TIA,
LJ.

chiglet
21st Nov 2003, 05:41
AFAIK, C is Charter
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

mad_jock
21st Nov 2003, 05:54
Some companys use P to indicate positioning.

MJ

duir
21st Nov 2003, 06:04
Slightly off subject I know but was in hold at Newcastle earlier this year when Speedbird **** declared in a voice straight out of a ww2 film that he had "Information Charles". Me and my Flying instructor looked at each other and burst out laughing whilst simultaniously saying a rude word!!!
Maybe thats commonplace for BA but it was mighty strange to a working class North East Lad.

ETOPS
21st Nov 2003, 16:15
The default callsign for BA flights is the flight number unless there is a regular conflict with a similar set of numbers in which case an alphanumeric is used. The addition of "C" in this case is for that reason because it is a 3 digit numeric. Charters always use 4 digits starting with 9... thus the last Concorde to MAN was BAW9020C. For engineering flights "E" is added and "P" for positioning.

PS Many years ago I heard a Danair 1-11 positioning with the callsign Dan 99FA, when asked by ATC to explain he replied "No passengers"!!

Think about it...............

Charley B
21st Nov 2003, 17:48
Another slightly off topic one is a certain GB airways pilot who always says @Willo 3 Charles for Gatwick!It made me laugh when I heard it--------haven't done so for a while so maybe he's left or retired!