PDA

View Full Version : A bit of a cross country

Radar
20th Nov 2003, 04:43
End of September into early October, I spent a couple of weeks doing some intensive cross country flying. It was one of those things that start out as a throw away comment (by my brother-in-law) that, within no time, take on a life of their own. Thus September 25th saw us depart for Toulouse in a Turbo Arrow IV to join the annual Toulouse – Saint Louis de Senegal air rally. This year 17 participating aircraft plus four aircraft from the organizing committee retraced 5000 nautical miles of the French Aeropostale route flown the 1920’s and 30’s. This year’s route was along the east and south coast of Spain, across the Straits of Gibraltar,down the coast of Morocco, Mauritania and, finally, Senegal. 47 hours in 14 days. Absolutely fantastic if exhausting! (I haven’t flown since and, thanks to some typical November wx, tomorrow’s planned outing looks very doubtful indeed.) Those two weeks are so crammed full of events and images it’s almost dreamlike … FL85 on a perfect late summer’s day over central France, crossing the Straits, dinner overlooking the ocean in Casablanca, the circling approach (which, for once, worked out a treat) to the desert strip at Tarfaya, a couple of nights under a desert sky in Berber tents, the Piano Bar in Dakhla ….. without a piano, 3 hours 15 minutes over the Mauritanian desert inbound Nouakchott: total contacts: one railway line, two roads, not one living thing! FL75 through the Atlas mountains (courtesy of a river valley) destination Marrakech … what a city! And then the ……… ooops! Sorry folks, got a bit carried away there.

In addition to the flying experience itself, the educational aspects of the two weeks were (in some ways) equally impressive. While the trip was organized at the level of a package holiday (necessary if you want to move 21 aircraft 5000 miles in two weeks), it still imposes considerable demands both mentally and physically. (At least I found it to be so.) It was a great opportunity to discover just where my personal limits lay. As an exercise in expanding my expertise, it was second to none. A little background. The crew for the trip consisted of yours truly, PPL 400 hours, aircraft commander by virtue of having undergone a check with the local FBO (the guys I rent from on a regular basis). Crew member number 2, ATPL, 10500 hours, currently training captain B737. Getting my head around that experience gulf and finding a way to operate constructively within it was challenge number one! Just watching the guy operate, the operational info he sought as flights progressed and what he did with it, was an education in itself. Twice we were confronted by a minor gear problem and, again, the additional aspects which the professional brings to the analysis of the situation are quite an eye opener. (The italics are in no way meant as derogatory. It’s the approach I like to think I adopt whenever I take to the air.) From my side, having to operate as a crew, on an equal footing with someone of such disparate experience was quite an exercise in CRM. I learned more about myself in those two weeks than in the past decade. Somewhere in amongst all that I had an absolute ball :D :D :D

I spoke with the brother-in-law this evening. We’re already planning next year’s escapade.

Aussie Andy
20th Nov 2003, 06:38
What a fantastic trip! Thanks for sharing the report of your experiences: a dream trip for me I must say, and probably for anyone who has read anything at all by Antoine de Saint-Exupery :ok: I hope I manage to do such a trip one day!

Andy

strafer
20th Nov 2003, 16:32
Excellently written post Radar, the sort of stuff I'd like to see more of on 'Private Flying'. Makes a nice change from the 'I've just passed my skills test!' rubbish.

Evo
20th Nov 2003, 16:39
strafer

Excellently written post Radar, the sort of stuff I'd like to see more of on 'Private Flying'.

I agree, but...

Makes a nice change from the 'I've just passed my skills test!' rubbish.

...is a bit unnecessary! Private Flying is a good place to share the highs and lows of the PPL. I'm always happy to read about someone's first solo, QXC or Skills test pass. Don't like it, ignore it. Don't slag off someone for being happy to have passed and wanting to tell someone about it...

WelshFlyer
20th Nov 2003, 17:03
Makes a nice change from the 'I've just passed my skills test!' rubbish.

Maybe they can build a seperate forum for wannabes?

I would like to hear more of peoples adventures - the skillstest and the like is pretty easy to come accross - in the flying club canteen:)

You should not slag people off for being students - if there is one certain thing, it's that you were one yourself once:ok:

I am a student - but as far as my PPL training goes, I keep it to myself. Now the CPL/IR is another matter;) (only kidding)

WF.

strafer
20th Nov 2003, 17:27
OK, fair enough - I've had more coffee now and realise that my earlier post may have come across as slightly disparaging.

I do remember how excited I was to pass my skills test, mind you I phoned my girlfriend and emailed my mates rather than putting it on a bulletin board.

The reason I liked Radar's post was not necessarily the content but rather the fact that it was well written. But as suggested, one man's diamond is another man's zirconium.

Mind you, there's currently TWO 'I passed my skills tests' threads on the front page of 'Private Flying' - which obviously relegates important threads about the terrible design of the PPL license, for example, to page two:)

I shall now go back to being my normal jovial, affable self until tomorrow morning when I'll be a grumpy bastard again.

GroundBound
20th Nov 2003, 17:59
Radar,

I'm GREEN with envy.

Sounds fantastic - I'm sure you could expand on some of the flying bits - maybe a sequel with a new bit each week, just to keep us hanging on with bated breath?

Good on yer.

Radar
21st Nov 2003, 03:50
Folks,
Glad you liked the brief description of two weeks fun ‘n’ frolics :D Thanks for the appreciation strafer, all the more so since it was written coming off the back of a double night shift, half my brain had taken a holiday.

As far as the ‘skills test’ debate is concerned, just prior to the trip that’s exactly what I felt like, I’d just passed my skills test. This in a way was true. I had a grand total of 9 hours on type with one cross country; to Popham in July. If someone had thrown a circling approach at me at that stage the resultant arrival would have been somewhat different to the one 20 hours into the rally, of that I’m certain. Ties in a bit with the thread going at the moment, When is a pilot no longer considered "low-time"? The consensus there seems to be currency is the key. I couldn’t agree more.

Andy, if you’re a fan of St. Ex. Then the rally would probably be a bit of a disappointment. The level of organization required to make the rally work takes a lot of the adventure out of the trip. With the exception of the overnight in Tarfaya ( Cap Juby in St. Ex’s. writings.) It’s 700m of (abandoned) crushed shell and compacted sand, which the organizers dust off in the week prior to the rally’s arrival, with a rather large mast a mile and a half off the approach end of the westerly runway, pretty much on centreline. The mast itself isn’t so much the problem as the substantial guy wires used to secure it. The whole concoction tends to concentrate the mind somewhat !!! To cap it all, the evening is spent with the rest of the participants under a Berber tent not far from the beach. The following morning, you get to do it all in reverse …. Back out the way you came in. With, in our case, the second and thankfully last ‘gear unsafe’ indication. If you are contemplating this particular trip, a word of advice ….. brush up on your French!

Groundbound, this is about as far as I’d venture with episodes / sequels, call it what you will. The trip is still very fresh for me and I’m still enjoying the buzzzzzzzz. As strafer says ‘one man's diamond is another man's zirconium’. It’d be too easy, in my enthusiasm, to bore the pants off all and sundry. BTW, have you ventured skyward with our mutual friend, Mr. A., recently …. Or was your last trip just one wx diversion too many?
:D :D :D