PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Monoxide detectors

Stampe
17th Nov 2003, 03:46
Any one know where I can purchase a battery powered carbon monoxide detector.Seem to remember seeing an ad for one about a year ago price about £40 can,t remember where!! ?.Don,t find the cheap card ones very good!!. Thanks:D

down&out
17th Nov 2003, 05:08
I bought a "Nighthawk 900-0089". I think it was from B&Q.

It has an LCD display that shows the actual and max CO ppm count as well as an alarm. That way you can tell if there is even a small leak, something the cards won't show. I'm very pleased with it, except for its size. So it just goes in the a/c somewhere & I look at it say every 1/2 hour for trend checks - or if I am familar with the a/c, for a "max reading" during the post flight review.

Keef
17th Nov 2003, 08:42
There was a thread on this a year or two ago, and a lot of research was done. I don't remember all the details at this distance, but the conclusion was that "domestic" CO detectors are not worth it in an aircraft - by the time they "trigger" and you notice,it's too late.

There was a model recommended by one of the US organisations (Aeromedix IIRC), which I arranged to buy in bulk for a bunch of us. That turned out to be too sensitive: it would go off if someone taxied past and the wind was blowing towards it. As far as I know, none of those units lasted the "lifetime" of two years. The one in our aircraft died after a few months.

There's a more recent recommendation for an aviation one, made in the UK I believe, and available for around £50. Memory says it's Senco but that might be the haze. Anyway, lots more info here:

http://www.avweb.com/news/aeromed/186016-1.html

Davidt
17th Nov 2003, 20:07
I got a thing called CO Guardian from ;
WWW.Aircraftspruce.com
cost @ £100 plugs into the cigarette lighter, has a visible and audible warning.

Read a review in a pilot mag some time ago so far I'm still alive!

Stampe
18th Nov 2003, 02:57
Thanks for the replies guys what a lot to read on the subject especially Keef,s reply !!.What a great resource Pprune can be on sensible subjects.All I,ve got to decide is which one to buy now!!.:ok:

IO540
18th Nov 2003, 04:39
Another one, which I have had for about a year, is the BW Gasalert, details at

http://www.gasmonitors.com/main.cfm?page=prodpage1&pid=5&cat=23&sub1=19&sub2=11

The battery in it lasts a very long time, so you leave it on and forget about it. It is very good - often detecting CO left on the runway from the previous aircraft that landed before me.