PDA

View Full Version : Approach Briefings

shon7
16th Nov 2003, 09:45
Are approach briefings standard for all International Airlines?

What is the main purpose of a briefing (I believed this was to determine what emergency procedures are to be followed in case of a go around but my instructor argues otherwise).

Jetdriver
16th Nov 2003, 21:18
Your instructor is right.

A missed approach or go around is a normal procedure not an emergency. Although you would hope it to be a relatively infrequent occurance it does not normally of itself generate any emergency procedures.

There are usually 2 times when the flight deck crew give briefings. One is for the take off and this is normally given by the Pilot flying (PF) at some quiet moment before engine start. The other is the approach and landing brief usually given before the start of descent.

the purpose of the brief is for the PF to explain to the Pilot not flying (PNF) and any other flightdeck crewmembers how he wishes to conduct the arrival so that the other crewmembers are fully conversant with the PF's intentions. Although there are many permutations to any arrival a brief is normally very succinct and to the point rather than over complicated. The main points that are normally covered include :
The point where the descent should commence; the expected weather; the terrain elevations (safety altitudes); the type of approach expected and nav aid set up; minima; notams; runway conditions; landing configuration (flap setting); missed approach procedure; alternate airport and any other points they may wish to highlight.

The brief may be more expansive or curtailed depending on the type of operation and the carriers own standard operating procedures.

Briefings are not usually rigid as they reflect the individuals own style of delivery and they may contain much more or less than indicated above. They may also modify to reflect an already briefed situation between the same individuals. For example if it your 2nd arrival that day into the same airport with by and large the same conditions it may not be felt necessary to repeat the whole of the previous briefing. In summary briefings will take many styles but most will be similar in overall content.

Briefings are as far as I am aware a requirement of all airlines , International and domestic.

Johnman
18th Nov 2003, 03:37
The approach briefing is required and almost standard in its content, covers WX at destination and alternate, safe altitudes, minimum sector altitudes, transition level, STAR, type of approach, xcheck date of charts, Radio navigation set up, APPR and missed approach, MINIMA, Alternate route and fuel required for holding and diversion, landing configuration, R/w conditions, length width lighting and Taxi briefing to parking

West Coast
20th Nov 2003, 12:26
If it hasn't been covered enroute, any applicable NOTAMS also.
Going into a new airport I also brief the direction of turnoff from the landing runway so I am aware of any potential incursion hot spots that I may encounter immediately after exiting. Years ago before incursions became all the rage I exited one runway in a hurry because of trailing traffic on short final and went past the hold short markings for another in my haste. No traffic thankfully and the controller cleared me across at the same time that instant heat flash hit me that I screwed up.