PDA

View Full Version : Bombardier Regional Jet

İhris
12th Nov 2003, 04:46
I am working on a major report on the Bombardier Regional Jet.

If you have any links to technical documents, interesting articles, or anything unique and interesting, please let me know!!

I would love to hear about anything, even if its just an experience you had!

I'm looking for thoughts from both Pilots & AME's

Thanks in advance,

Chris

rotornut
13th Nov 2003, 00:44
My friend is an apprentice avionics engineer at Air Canada. He says the RJ is a pretty good airplane but mentioned one weak spot - the passenger door. I understand it's a two piece folding type and the internal electrical wiring wears excessively because of the bending every time the door is opend and closed. He says it takes a couple of hours to take it apart as there are lots of screws. Hope this is of interest and I'll try and get more info next time I see him.

Mad (Flt) Scientist
13th Nov 2003, 01:24
Assuming you mean the 'Canadair Regional Jet' or 'CRJ' - are you only interested in the 50 seat series 100/200 planes, or the CRJ700/900 stretches? If you call it "Bombardier RJ" you'll get confusion with the (not developed) BRJ-X ~100 seater, so it's best to call it a CRJ.

Not a pilot or AME so can't help you there. But I do work for the OEM, so if there's something (open) I can help you with let me know. (Either here or PM). What sort of thing are you looking for? (And also what sort of audience - is this a thesis of some kind, or paper?)

WEBLUEIT
13th Nov 2003, 01:33
Hey up !

Im a pilot working for a Midlands based airline - Duo Airways and fly CRJ-200 & 700's. What specifically would you like to know. I also have some pics if you are interested ??

cheers
graham

LGW Vulture
13th Nov 2003, 01:38
Does the CRJ suffer with windscreen cracking problems like the sister ship Challenger series?

Interested to know as a lot seem to "ping " rather easily.

Cheers LGW

WEBLUEIT
13th Nov 2003, 06:19
We suffered alot of cracked windows in our RJ's, still get the odd one every now and then. In fact I think we had one about a month ago.

SOP now is to leave the windshield heat on the low setting all the time just to make them abit more flexiblish......

j3cubcapt
13th Nov 2003, 10:13
I flew the -200 for Midway Airlines out of KRDU. I really liked flying the plane, but we had a number of problems with the flaps. I quess that they were really designed for the coprorate market and not the high freq. of airline flying.

The aircraft always seemed to me to have an unusually nose low attitude on final approach at the proper Vref speed. I hear that the 700 is alot better.

If you have any specific questions just ask...

Thanks

Will

Red Mud
13th Nov 2003, 10:48
The CRJ doesn't have a two piece door so wear issues aren't really a problem. Also, the latest version of the door is a well-damped device that has had no in-service problems to speak of. Flap issues likewise have been worked through from their earlier annoying failures. The nose down approach attitude which made for a pretty flat flare on the 200 has been corrected by the addition of slats on the 700 which now flies more like the big boys. Overall, nice performers that make money for the operators. Send me a direct message if your questions get deeper in the technical aspects.

Flap Sup
13th Nov 2003, 16:02
My humble observations are there (from despatch view):

- The despatch reliability of the CRJ is better than teh ERJ, although the ERJ is improving.

- One of the most often occuring problems on the CRJ is the APU door not opening. Although not a NoGo issue, still a bother.

- The CRJ and ERJ seems to share a checklistpoint: "When inop, reset the systems, shut it all down and restart. If it works after restart, prob solved" - to me it seems like Bombardier and Embraer use to much microf***ingsift.

/FS

Red Mud
14th Nov 2003, 01:35
Perhaps they should install a big "jet reboot" button on the console. Take it a step or two further and you could have internet downlinks of software updates. A big FMS message pops up stating that updates are available - would you like to download and install?:8

İhris
14th Nov 2003, 10:36
Hey Guys,

Thanks to everyone who is interested in helping.

This is a 30-40 page Technical Report on the CRJ. (Really, any type of plane I want) I chose the CRJ.
The Prof would like to learn something new about the plane and is not interested in stuff like whathas been written up on the website.

I have a Digital Version of the AOM, and a little bit of info on the HGS system. Is there anything unique about the CRJ? Anything that condradicts 'the norm'? Where can I find the info? Anything I should be looking for in the AOM?

Unfortunately I don't really know what is expected from this report, so I am pretty much looking to write anything interesting and different. Anything you have.....I'll take!!

Thanks again,

I can be contact via PM, this thread or [email protected]

Cheers

Chris

------------
Unemployed Commercial Pilot

Captain Stable
14th Nov 2003, 16:34
Red Mud:-A big FMS message pops up stating that updates are available - would you like to download and install?That wouldn't bother me. What would is the message saying "To complete this installation we need to reboot your aircraft. Close all other applications and click on the OK button.":uhoh: :eek: