PDA

View Full Version : Cheap MEP Rating

Dude~
11th Nov 2003, 23:08
I need to get a MEP rating soon and was wondering where is the cheapest place to get one? I already know the basics since I have flown twins solo in Australia, but the CAA are making me do the whole JAR course again because the Aussies don't have a MEP Class rating, out there its just individual type ratings which are harder to transfer to my UK CAA PPL. So, I just want to go throught the motions of a UK MEP Course as cheaply as possible.

Would it be worth my while going to Ormond Beach or somewhere cheap in the US where they do JAA MEPs (Cheap flight over and lets ignore living costs becuase its a holiday isn't it!)? I shan't be needing to hire a club twin in the uk so where I do it bears no significance what so ever.

So far the cheapest I've found is somewhere in the Midlands where I think it is £204/dual for a PA34, so I am looking at 7 hrs dual plus examiner fee and license issue... circa £1500...

Thanks in advance.

Dude

Timothy
11th Nov 2003, 23:20
Dude,

Wherever you do it, don't cut corners. Your life and others' may depend it.

W

Irv
11th Nov 2003, 23:39
BCFT (Bournemouth) had a great special offer on MEP training at the Flyer Exhibition in London on saturday - might be worth giving them a call and seeing if they have filled their boots or want one more
(amended for spelling reasons!)

Dude~
11th Nov 2003, 23:46
W, indeed I will not cut corners, and I suspected I would get replies advising against searching for the 'cheapest' twin training, in favour of more thorough training. However, I underwent excellent initial training on twins last year and am current on singles, so in effect I only need refresher training to get me current again, not to teach me the basics of engine failures.

englishal
11th Nov 2003, 23:54
As a comparison, you can rent a PA34-200 in the US for around $125 / hr, a PA34-200T for $170, a PA44-180 for $145. Add to that $35 per hour instruction and of course the JAA examiners fees.

Out of interest are you doing this for the Commercial or some other reason? An ICAO ME rating allows you full privileges in a G registered aircraft without formaility.

Cheers
EA

Dude~
12th Nov 2003, 16:48
Englishal, I want to get a Multi Engine Piston Class Rating because I haven't got one, and I want one so that I can hire a very nice twin that has become available privately. Its got nothing to do with comercial etc. Unfortunately training cannot be conducted on this particular twin fior various reasons.

My problem is that Australia don't have a Multi Engine Piston Class Rating, so when I flew a Duchess and a Partenavia out there, I was given an individual type rating authorisation for each type separately. Unfortnately, according to the CAA and LASORS, this is not nearly as useful as say doing an MEP rating in the US, where you can convert it easily to UK licences. Had I known, I probably wouldn't have spent all my money out in Oz, because its annoying knowing how to fly twins, but not being licenced to do so in this country, ... unless anyone knows of a VH-xxx twin for hire...!

englishal
12th Nov 2003, 18:04
Ah I see. The reason I asked is that the Private FAA ME rating is 'training as required' rather than a full course. It normally takes about 10 hrs to get, but if you already have ME experience it should be possible to gain this rating in a short time. Once you have the FAA rating you can fly a G reg multi on it. Also you would be excempt from the '10 route sectors' per year or whatever it is and all the other c*ap to maintain a JAA ME rating. You just need the standard BFR every two years.

Cheers

Brooklands
12th Nov 2003, 20:43
Dude~,

Since you've already flown the Duchess, if you're near London, you might want to have a look at Wycombe Air Centre (http://www.wycombeaircentre.co.uk/) who have a pair of Duchesses, and offer a multi rating package (look in the training courses section of the web site).

I've been a satisified customer of theirs for 11 years now. I did my multi rating with them in 1999, and IIRC it only took a couple of days.

Brooklands

Send Clowns
13th Nov 2003, 03:00
Or if you are near Bournemouth three of the four commercial schools use the Duchess too.