PDA

View Full Version : Long term effects of California fires

BayAreaLondoner
8th Nov 2003, 00:59
Not sure if this is entirely the right place for this post seeing as there was a related thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106897&highlight=california+fire) in ATC Issues a little while ago.
Anyway, in the latest AOPA newsletter I received this morning, it appears that a VOR has been lost to the fires:

VITAL CALIFORNIA VOR LOST IN FIRE
When the Southern California Consolidated Terminal Radar Control
(SoCal Tracon) was forced to shut down two weeks ago by wildfires
raging dangerously close by, it caused massive but relatively short-
term disruptions. Now the FAA is dealing with potentially much longer
disruptions caused when a heavily used radio navigation aid burned
to the ground in one of the fires. The Fillmore VOR (FIM), located
northwest of the Los Angeles basin, is the primary navaid for traffic
from northern California and the Pacific Northwest heading into
Southern California. It defines portions of two high-altitude jet
airways and seven low-altitude airways. Its loss affects nine departure
procedures at six airports, 10 standard arrival routes (STARs) at six
airports, and 30 approach procedures at eight airports.

I was flying a couple of weekends ago down to Monterey from the Bay Area and the ATIS at Monterey notified us of a ground stop in effect for what sounded like all Southern California destinations owing to the evacuation of the tracon. My wife was flying commercially down to San Diego that same day and they were diverted to Palm Springs due to the ground stop. When they finally got to San Diego, she said it looked like the world was on fire, and when she was on the ground she described it as "snowing ash". Amazing. While I've seen the pictures on TV, that description really brings it home to me.

englishal
8th Nov 2003, 02:26
I was (am) in California during the fires, and it was "interesting". It initially started with very bad vis up in the LA area, I went from Long Beach to Catalina via an IFR to VFR ontop through the marine layer, but we never made VFR ontop due to smoke. It was strange, you couldn't see s*it even though Catalina was reporting 10miles vis, until the airfield loomed out of the smoke at about 3 miles while on the VOR approach. Was a bit scary actually, it was the first time I had taken a twin to Catalina, I was expecting to fly VFR and to have pleanty of time to get myself sorted before the landing. Came back IFR.

The next day it was snowing ash in Long Beach, so I went down to stay with my family-in-laws in San Diego, and driving down the 405/5 it just got worse and worse, like a think pea-souper. Luckily I like to partake in the odd smoke, so my lungs were well trained :D

The next day, the day SOCAL were evacuated, it was really ****e, ash everywhere, think smokey air, horrible. My wife and I were planning to fly to Chandler to stay with friends, but there was no way we could leave the basin. IFR flights were practically stopped, VFR was not possible, many of the airports were closed, including LGB, so it was a no go...One light aircraft crashed while trying to get into Montgomery field, not sure why, but I believe it was trying to land on the freeway for some reason.

Something I'll never forget thats for sure...

Cheers
EA:D

West Coast
8th Nov 2003, 07:44
FIM isn't the first NAVAID to burn in Socal. Ventura (VTU) burned a few years ago. Was in and out of LAX a lot the past few days. No problems noted on arrivals from the North as far as traffic flows.

niknak
8th Nov 2003, 17:44
It will be interesting to see if they replace the nav' aid, if the same happened in the UK I suspect that they would not.

The use of ground based en route nav - aid's (as opposed to ones on and operated by an airfield for instrument approach purposes), by commercial air transport, is becoming less frequent with the advancement in satallite based technology in both aircraft and atc.
This, supported by atc radar systems, virtually negates the requirement for en route navaids for commercial operators, and I suspect the same will apply to G/A once the necessary "fail safe" back up systems are in place for this new technology.

BayAreaLondoner
15th Nov 2003, 02:20
Update on this from this morning's email from AOPA:

FAA ACTS QUICKLY TO FIX FIRE-DAMAGED VORTAC
No, we didn't exaggerate last week when we reported on the fire damage
to the Fillmore vortac, located northwest of the Los Angeles basin.
The FAA acted quickly and replaced the vortac with temporary equipment.
But it will be a few weeks before the popular navaid is once again
operational following a testing procedure. Once the temporary VOR is
functional, the FAA plans to rebuild the permanent one. AOPA member
Ron Lebel alerted us to the new navaid after flying over it.