PDA

View Full Version : Is an IMC essential ?

buzzc152
6th Nov 2003, 23:20
I've been reading with interest an old thread on the merits of getting an IR before FI.

I plan to get my FI ticket early in the new year but don't think my funds are going to strech as far as IR with-out a loan.

What I can afford though is an IMC rating. Would having the IMC make a difference when looking for an FI job ? How do you get to teach IMC.... is it a matter of hours building or do you need an IR ?

Also, does having an IMC bring the required hours down for the IR course ?

Basically, is it worth me diverting funds into an IMC or should I save the cash and try & put it toward an IR later?

RodgerF
6th Nov 2003, 23:35
To teach the IMC you need either an IR(A) for SPA or an IMC rating. You need to be an FI not an FI(R). There is an IFR flight time experience requirement. There is a skill test as well.

Its all here http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Lasors_Section_H.pdf

Time on the IMC doesn't shorten the JAA IR course although it does count towards the FAA IR

Having an IMC rating will give you a greater weather margin when flying with students, and this might swing a job in your favour.

StrateandLevel
8th Nov 2003, 03:07
If you have passed the ATPL or IR written exams they only have 36 months validity to complete the IR!

If cost is an issue, surely you have to get the IR completed or the exams will run out.