PDA

View Full Version : FAA licensing changes - existing licences?

tmmorris
4th Nov 2003, 15:26
I understand the new requirements from the FAA for issuing private pilot certificates on the basis of foreign licences, but I read somewhere recently that even if you already hold an FAA licence issued on the basis of a JAA one, they still need the new paperwork (i.e. the confirmation from the CAA that the licence is valid). Surely not? I was congratulating myself on getting mine before the changes came in!

Tim

Circuit Basher
4th Nov 2003, 15:30
Tim - I'm not an expert (or even halfway knowledgeable) on the subject, but drauk raised the self same question last week in this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106966). The consensus is apparently that you are required to go through the authentication process.

Sorry :)

Charlie Zulu
4th Nov 2003, 16:07
Hi Tim,

If you are going over to the States to pursue a course of training, for say an FAA IR then you will need the letter of authenticity before the Designated Examiner will carry out the checkride, the letter was asked for at the same time as my FAA PPL (61.75 based on my CAA PPL).

However if you're just going to the United States to rent and aeroplane and fly about a bit then you should be fine with your present FAA PPL without the letter. BUT there have been some rumours of some FBO's requesting to see the letter of authenticity with older FAA PPL's issued under 61.75 before renting aircraft to people.

If you are just going to rent, you'll probably be better off asking the Airmen Certification Branch of the FAA at Oklahoma. The contact details can probably be found on the following URL page.

http://registry.faa.gov/airmen.asp

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

tmmorris
5th Nov 2003, 02:00
Thanks both. Looks like what I need to do is ring the FBO at the field where I am planning to fly (they already know me, and are very relaxed, so I don't expect problems) just to check they don't need to see any more paperwork.

Consensus from the other thread is that you only need the paperwork for (a) new licences, (b) adding ratings to existing licences.

Tim

SimJock
5th Nov 2003, 11:19
When you get the authorisation letter from the FAA check the details carefully.. they managed to transpose my DOB from 3rd June to 6th March, and showed me with a Class 2 medical when I have a class 1 :(