PDA

View Full Version : Living the dream - commercial pilot info

Chainy
3rd Nov 2003, 02:32
Hi there,
im 19 and have lived in Englad most of my life - despite being born in Canada. I'm migrating back to Vancouver soon and want to get my career sorted (pilot).

Does anyone know how much 'money' i'll need to get a commercial pilots license? I heard the figure was around $60,000 - is this correct? Determination and commitment isn't a problem as theres a hell of a lot of that!! Money however... i'm going to have to plan well ahead ;-)

Thanks

Chainy

pitotman
4th Nov 2003, 04:48
Hi Chainy,

I am a Air Canada B744 pilot based in Vancouver. I did my flight training in CYXX @ the University College of The Fraser Valley in conjunction with Coastal Pacific Aviation. I graduated in 96' and 60K was a good marker back then for what I paid. Here is a link to Coastal's site: http://www.coastalpacific.com/cpa/index.html

I am sure they will send you a quote on what you can expect! If you have any other questions drop me an email at: [email protected]

Best of luck,

Cormac

Chainy
5th Nov 2003, 04:58
great, ok.. thanks for that - i'll check out the site..

if you dont mind me asking, what qualifications did you start out with before you studied specifically to fly as a career?

I have 11 GCSE's, incl. B in maths, C in science, A/b in english -
and 3 A-levels in biology, drama and geography. I'm hoping i wont need to study for further education in maths / physics but i really dont know what an aviation college would expect..
i'll enquire through that web site you said about.

themulleye
12th Nov 2003, 12:56
Chainy

I attented the same school as pilotman a few years ago and I highly recomend it. As for qulications it look like you will have no problem I was just an avg high school student when I started and I had no major problems. As for Math And Physics there is a course in each. Both of them are very basic (I was a C student in each in high school).

THEMULLEYE

Chainy
18th Nov 2003, 00:58
wow really, thats great news, thanks for taking the time to reply -
especially with info like that, my day just got a whole lot better.

Feels like everyday i get a little bit closer to 'Living the Dream'

Stunty
19th Nov 2003, 04:18
I heard that costal is up for sale? Any thoughts on this- any one know the price? They are a highly pro operation.....slightly too pro for my liking. I find they are taught to fly their C172's like B747's. Good for students.

Stunty

donder10
4th Dec 2003, 07:56
Interesting info so far.
How long does the course at Coastal take to complete?
Regards,Alex

Stunty
5th Dec 2003, 11:01
Sorry to start stories - spoke to the coastal guys the other day. It never was for sale, just a private deal with one owner buying out the other.

The Coastal course is integrated with a university degree - i haven't done it but I am pretty sure it is 3 or 4 years depending on the degree you come out with or they flying expereince that you start with. Someone who has done the course can comment I am sure.

Stunty

themulleye
7th Dec 2003, 05:48
The course takes anywhere from 18 months to 4 years to complete depending what options you want.

18 month course is 18 month straight you must enter with a PPL and you will come out with a CPL, IFR & Business Diploma

2 Year course, You enter with a PPL and come out with a CPL IFR & Business Diploma

4 Year course you can enter with nothing and come out with a PPL CPL IFR and a University Degree.

THE MULLEYE

skyze
23rd Dec 2003, 02:40
Theres also a program at BCIT if you want to become a pilot.

http://programs.bcit.ca/1055DIPTS