PDA

View Full Version : JAA FCL 1.080 Logbook

skyfarmer
2nd Nov 2003, 02:15
Regarding the JAA FCL 1.080 logbook format.

Is it (either now or in the future) a requirement that all flight times be record in the new FCL 1.080 format. Or is it acceptable to record flight times in your own prefered format as long as all the recording requirements are met?

I believe the latter is true, but recently I have heard talk that ONLY the new 1.080 format is acceptable once your current logbook is full and needs replacing.

Having looked at the FCL 1.080 style layout there is no way I would start to use it unless it was a requirement.

For those who have not seen it, I have put a copy at
http://hades.itl.net/~npaisnel/temp

It will be there till I think to remove it or get told I am breaking some copyright or other

Cheers

Neil

3rd Nov 2003, 02:50
I bought a copy of the Pooleys JAR-FCL logbook from Transair the other day. Once it arrived here, I opened it, wrote my name and address in the space provided, and then turned the page. To my suprise, I found that anyone with 100 or more hours to his name could have no use for this ill-thought-out piece of trash.

The collumns for writing your hours in are ALL too narrow. The column for entering your aircraft type in is wide enough to park a 747 in, and the comments column allows full biographys to be completed in that. There is no way to seperate single engine time from multi engine time and the simulator section is in the front. Gimme a break. Who are these idiots at Pooleys? Has any of them ever been near an aircraft?

After complaining to Transair and Pooley, I was given the usual bullsh!t that one can expect from those theiving swines. That was; you've written in it, so we can't refund your money.

I have since checked out the Jep version of the JAR-FCL logbook, and I'm afraid to say; it is equally bad!

Thanks, but no thanks. If I remember correctly, that law states that you need to log your time in a JAR-FCL format, or any other format acceptable to the authority. Since nobody's complained about my South African logbooks so far (all 5 of them) I'll stick to that thanks. :yuk:

Meeb
3rd Nov 2003, 05:30
Same here, bought the Pooleys book, started using it and after 2 pages gave up! Ordered another Aussie log book and I am back to normal now...

Any format is OK with the UK CAA providing it includes the legal minimum, maybe not other JAR states though.

DB6
4th Nov 2003, 01:40
Hmmm, there's a pattern emerging here. I bought mine from Pilot Warehouse, filled a page and a half, and went back to an AFE one I'd bought in 1992 and never used.
To those who design these things: THINK WHAT HAS TO BE WRITTEN IN THE COLUMNS BEFORE YOU DRAW THE LINES ON THE PAPER! :hmm:

Daysleeper
4th Nov 2003, 03:54
I would recommend Skylog Pro for those with access to a windows computer: prints in various formats inc. JAR
Simple data entry and you can produce all sorts of reports.
Pity they don't do a mac version.

Crossunder
4th Nov 2003, 04:34
I think logging procedures are described in Section 2 of the JARs, meaning it's advisory material only. Do as you please...

skyfarmer
5th Nov 2003, 05:00
I had the same problem when I bought the JAR logbook, but did not even put pen to page. Realised what crap it was very quickly.

If anyone wants to see the JAR FCL regs for it, http://hades.itl.net/~npaisnel/temp
and look at the pdf file.

I am looking for logbook software but I want to run it on a PDA as well as the PC. At the moment Skylog Pro can't do this, but another program http://www.logbookpro.com can.
It is designed for FAA 121 regs, but they are developing version 2 which will (hopefully) be JAA compliant.

They are looking for feedback as to what European pilots want in logbook software.

They have a forum on
http://www.logbookpro.com/Forums/?f=7
and there is a thread running regarding JAA logbooks.

I am in no way connected with them just trying to find some good loogbook software that I can run on a PDA. This program seems very good but the current version not ideal for us in europe, they are trying to make version 2 work for us in europe, so if you have any comments on what you would like to see, I am sure they would appreciate feedback.

Manual Reversion
7th Nov 2003, 14:04
For what it's worth, I have skylog pro running on my PDA (Palm 515)
I input the flights as I do them (sector by sector), duty hours etc. On returning home, a hotsynch downloads it all to the desktop and returns the new 'updates' to the PDA. i.e you have the current duty hours/flying hours totals, and 'hours remaining' for whatever parameter you set i.e 7/14/28 days duty, 28 days flying.
I find the duty hours calculator useful on the palm for working out how close to discretion I am being pushed.
The company I work for is getting us all to get JAR licences and the CAA were quite happy with my Skylog printout (can't remember what format I aimed at them). I haven't looked at the Skylog website for ages but I believe the actual version is considerably updated from the one 'on display'. Just my thoughts, but I am very happy with it having used it for five or six years.

skyfarmer
8th Nov 2003, 00:09
Oh thanks,

Will have to have another look at it, I did not think it was available to run on PPC2002 machine though. But if it is available for Palm OS then maybe for Win CE/PPC 2002 as well

Cheers

14th Nov 2003, 18:44
I have tried SkyLog Pro; and to be quite honest I find it to be a load of rubbish. It might be okay for someone that is just starting out in aviation, but heaven help you if have a few thousand hours behind your name!

There is absolutely no way of entering a career summary for the logbook to commence from. That is; you have to either enter your time in flight by flight (I have over 10,000 hours), or month by month, or year by year.

You can enter it by aircraft type, but then there is no way of splitting it into different areas like: instruction time on B747 is xxx hours, total time on B646 is xxxxx and so on...

I have looked around and in my honest opinion, there simply isn't a good, simple JAR-FCL logbook on the market, software or otherwise. :confused: