PDA

View Full Version : Solar activity

bar shaker
30th Oct 2003, 15:52
I haven't flown for the past few days but have read about the solar activity causing problems with RT, GPS and compasses.

Anyone noticed anything?

BRL
30th Oct 2003, 17:13
Hi T ere. I ha e n t b en up r cent y eithe , but h ve hea d al ab ut the so ar w nd effe t affe ting ot er th ngs............... :confused:

distaff_beancounter
30th Oct 2003, 20:19
On the TV this morning, some expert said that the solar flares could cause errors on aircraft compasses, of between 5 and 10 degrees.

Given my usual gash VRF navigation, would I even notice the difference??? :)

BRL
30th Oct 2003, 20:24
Read all about it HERE (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107178)

Evo
30th Oct 2003, 20:25
It certainly could - the charged particles in a CME compress the Earth's magnetic field - but any effect would be fairly small, few degrees sounds about the maximum. Not enough for me to notice anyway.

<puts on tinfoil hat and heads down to the bunker>

bar shaker
30th Oct 2003, 21:16
LOL at you guys :D

I had to go out and collect some parts so used the 196 in the car. All seems to be working fine, although signal strengths were a bit lower than normal.

A mate is in charge of the comms for the World Rally Champs. The flare wiped out all VHF communication on this weekend's Catalunya Rally and knocked Inmarsat's satelite out of alignment, meaning they couldn't track the competitors. The Inmarsat guy told him 1/1000th of a degree is a enough to lose all signal from it.

Shame its cloudy, I was looking forward to seeing the Basildon Borealis.

redsnail
30th Oct 2003, 23:37
I didn't notice any thing unusual this morning at 3am flying back from Germany. GPS was fine and the compass read normally too. Unfortunately we didn't see any "northern lights" either.

Fly Stimulator
31st Oct 2003, 01:16
The 196 worked fine for me today.

I've been to Hull and back - heard the voice of G-OD on the way too! :)

DB6
31st Oct 2003, 02:18
Well I spent a very pleasant spell in the back garden last night with the wife and a tinny of chilled Scrumpy Jack staring open-mouthed (when it wasn't full of cider you understand) at the Aurora Borealis. Very nice. No idea about radios and all that stuff though. I think I'll crack another couple tonight, or maybe a nice bottle of red. Oh, the agony of choice.....:cool:

M14P
31st Oct 2003, 06:11
Just flown back from Nice - there's a very impressive polar cap style borealis. It's rather greyish and static - not quite the lights but good nonetheless...

Keef
31st Oct 2003, 10:24
Overcast and raining here. The Aurora Essexialis!