PDA

View Full Version : 1000ft key point

dynamite dean
30th Oct 2001, 21:57
I am an Instructor.A student said to me the other day who ever worked this keypoint out and does it take into accoutn the varying wind conditions ? And my next question he was at his keypoint didn't put the flap down and missed the field, he said to me why you little ****** you told me at 1000ft agl we would make the field the wind was very strong 30kt - cherokee I fly.

Am I missing the point? Is wind irrelevent or is there some more mathmatical way that this 1000ft keypoint was ascertained? help I am not an airline pilot yet!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

[ 30 October 2001: Message edited by: dynamite dean ]

wysiwyg
30th Oct 2001, 22:55
You'll probably find the answers you want on the instructors forum.

Oktas8
31st Oct 2001, 02:10
No doubt this will be moved to the Instructor forum shortly. In the mean time, perhaps some comments would be helpful.

The forced landing is one of the most detailed and longest briefings, which I won't attempt to reproduce here. Important points however:

Low key is simply "the end of the downwind leg". It may be 1000'agl or any other height, depending on aircraft type. It exists because it is generally easier to land from the end of the downwind leg than from anywhere else - it is the most familiar point from which to commence the approach. Thus, get the student to navigate to low key, and you maximise his/her chances of successfully landing. Not "guarantee", just "maximise"!

Flap selection: flap should not be used to "make it in". If no flap was used, your aircraft should touch down about halfway down the field. Use of flap simply slows the aircraft to minimise landing roll, and moves the aim point to the beginning of the field to maximise landing distance available. This technique avoids students depending on flap as a replacement for good judgement.

Wind: in nil wind (PA28 only), try getting your student to turn base when the aim point is about oen to two chords behind wing trailing edge. In >20kts, turn when aim point first appears behind trailing edge. >30kts? Don't teach this exercise - it requires too much judgement for the average pre-PPL student!

Whatever the wind, turn at the appropriate time in a wide racetrack pattern - don't turn straight towards the field unless the aim point is moving up in the windscreen (normal aim point adjustment taught from first circuit lesson).

Angle of bank for this racetrack turn is typically 5° to 15°. More than this will commonly result in a too-high overshoot. If the student initially turns too steeply, and is getting too close, stop the turn (or diverge from field) to lose height without getting any closer to the field. If the student is getting low, s/he can always turn directly towards the threshold.

Extend 1st notch of flap when you are certain of landing in the field. Adjust attitude downwards to maintain airspeed, and wait for glide to re-stabilise with new aim point closer to beginning of field. Extend 2nd notch of flap when certain of landing in the field. Adjust attitude downwards to maintain airspeed, and wait for glide to re-stabilise with new aim point closer to beginning of field. Extend 3rd notch of flap... you get the picture.

I hope this helps. Two very good books are the Trevor Thom series (Aust & NZ, maybe SA as well) and RD Campbell Flying Training for the Private Pilot Licence (UK).

Closing note: if any student calls you a "stupid little *****" or similar words, either take him to the CFI for an Attitude Readjustment Program, or tell him to find a new instructor! Do not put up with this kind of :mad: or you'll just end up :( !

Cheers,
O8 :D

Dave Incognito
31st Oct 2001, 14:23
One of the best ways to make sure you get into your field is to establish a defined set of measurements. Here is where high and low key points can really help you to adjust your plan.

In a PA28, the correct spacing occurs when the touchdown point is approx. in line with the 2nd rivet line in from the wing tip (most likely the same method you may be using in the circuit). If you arrive at the high key point and the touchdown point is too close or too far away (identified by looking at the relationship between the rivet line and the touchdown point), a simple correction of either widening the turn to the low key point, or tracking direct to the low key point can be made. Combinations of height and spacing need to be considered.

You can use the same process during the turn from downwind onto finals. By making small heading changes (10-20 deg) then flying wings level and allowing the leading edge of the wing ‘intercept’ the touchdown point, you can make an assessment on your spacing. Basically, make the heading change, fly wings level, then make an assessment, correction (i.e. delay the next turn, or turn towards the field) then make an evaluation. It is a very similar process to flying a DME arc. The whole way throughout the plan you have a way of identifying what corrective action (if any) is required.

Like Oktas8 said, make certain that flap is not selected until you can bet your life that you will still be able to make the field. A habit that people can fall into is selecting 2 stages of flap in one go. If they have only flown circuits previously, then the action of automatically taking 2 stages (eg. turning base) can be instinctive.

It is a bit hard to explain in text, but I hope this helps nonetheless

Achilles
1st Nov 2001, 02:59
High or low key points are points of reference used to 'assess' the approach. Flexibility is required during a FLWOP in order to ascertain how the approach is going in reality, and then to take any corrective action as necessary, including possibly making use of any 'alternative' landing area (if available), which should be part of the plan in the event of a FLWOP. Wind awareness is a very important factor, and should definitely be taken into account, especially when turning base or final. Procedures taught for action in the event of a FLWOP should be used as a guide, but FLEXIBILITY in the face of changing circumstance is the key to a successful landing.

Checkboard
1st Nov 2001, 08:32
Hi dynamite dean, and welcome to the TechLog Forum!

As mentioned above, this topic will receive a better response in the instructor forum, so I am moving it there.

Not "being an airline pilot yet" simply means that you probably know more about instructing and forced landings than those flying the heavy metal, and those in the instructor forum will be able to help :D