PDA

View Full Version : Concorde Frenzy Vol 97

FNG
24th Oct 2003, 18:38
It is of course a tradition on PPrune to make snidey comments about journalists getting aviation stuff wrong. In keeping with tradition, I notice that this morning 's Times tells us that because of the shape of Concorde's nose "it prefers to land against the wind". Blimey! What a rubbish crate, no wonder they're binning it. Not like those little tailwheelies I fly which can of course land in any direction and in a raging gale. The Times goes on to mention that one of the pointy machines will be executing "a loop over the Atlantic". Hope they've told David Frost and Joan Collins....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-866212,00.html

big.al
24th Oct 2003, 18:44
a loop over the Atlantic
Surely that will cause more than a little spillage of champagne....

FNG
24th Oct 2003, 18:46
If they barrel rolled instead they could maintain positive g and not spill the celebs' drinks (or the pilots' drinks, more importantly)

charlie-india-mike
24th Oct 2003, 18:56
According to the BBC it is going to be a supersonic loop. Now that is going to be somethig to see.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3209837.stm

C-I-M

Circuit Basher
24th Oct 2003, 19:45
With all this Concorde frenzy, you need something to calm you all down.

Have a go at this little exercise! (http://www.bbc.co.uk/bristol/content/concorde/2003/10/15/origami/concorde_origami.shtml) ;):D

[edited to correct link]

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Oct 2003, 20:14
Loops are positive 'G' manouvres as well. Even supersonic ones:O

SSD

pulse1
24th Oct 2003, 20:22
I heard a news headline on Radio 4 that one of Concorde's pilots said his farewell yesterday - Prince Philip? :confused: :sad: :( :yuk:

FNG
24th Oct 2003, 20:48
Correct Shaggy, subject to a bit of zero G at the very top (more than a bit if you stuff it up slightly, which can be fun in its own right: I still remember the delight of floating off the seat-parachute whilst some retired Air Marshall/VR Flying Officer looped us in an AEF Chipmunk on a hot afternoon in 1976, the first time I'd ever been in an aeroplane. We may have spilled our drinks, but it was worth it).

poetpilot
25th Oct 2003, 01:48
Another daft comment was on Radio 5 around lunchtime.

I was driving so I cant quote what was said verbatim, but a lady newsreader commented that "it might be quite difficult to catch a glimpse of Concorde as it flies over London because it flies at supersonic speed".

Always did wonder why it had such good brakes.

FNG
25th Oct 2003, 02:19
Well, after all that, they made a fine sight flying alomng the river with their wheels down seen from the roof of my office. I was once lucky enough to fly to NYC and back on Concorde, (clients paying) and it really was the only way to fly. Loved the dymo tape on the "do not press this button" buttons in the fabulously old-tech cockpit.

Evo
25th Oct 2003, 02:52
Well I guess one good thing came of a sad day - after watching the first landing, I can now say I land like a Concorde pilot.... ;) :) :ok:

"it was a gust of wind", I'll have to remember that one... :) :)

Circuit Basher
28th Oct 2003, 20:10
Just to keep this one alive a bit longer, I spotted the attached on EBay - you have 4 days left to bid on this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2960428526&category=2983) unique opportunity to own a souvenir of Concorde!

Seems like a memorable piece of aviation history! :) :D

BigEndBob
29th Oct 2003, 02:50
Blimey circuit basher!...i'm on my fifth attempt to make that paper aeroplane...no wonder Concorde cost so much!:D

DeepC
29th Oct 2003, 18:35
It's all in the accuracy of the folds. If you make some minor errors early on, the later folds are difficult to create. Especially the nose. Mine looks great apart from the nose now that we have ascertained that the plane's centre of gravity is a little too far forward, which means that it lands like a dart.

DeepC

cessna l plate
1st Nov 2003, 18:17
AS Alpha Charlie arrived at Manchester for the last time yesterday, I watched the local news on BBC 1 last night to see "an expert on aviation" (ha ha ha) telling us that she thought she would never get to sit in concorde, and yet here she was, and sat in the captains seat as well!!!

You guessed it, she was sat on the right.

Where do these hacks come from?
Maybee a little research wouldn't have gone amiss.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
1st Nov 2003, 18:30
Cessna I plate - I noticed both Beeb and Granada presenters sat in RH seat for a piece to camera. Probably done that way becuase if they'd been in LH seat, the FE's station would have prevented the cameraman from getting a good angle onto the presenter. But I agree - calling it the Captain's seat is just sloppy reporting.

I was driving so I cant quote what was said verbatim, but a lady newsreader commented that "it might be quite difficult to catch a glimpse of Concorde as it flies over London because it flies at supersonic speed".

Poet - serves you right for listening to R5:)

You're old enough, like me, to be a R4 man:ok:

SSD