PDA

View Full Version : BFR renewals

FlyingForFun
20th Oct 2003, 20:31
Can someone please remind me when you can renew your FAA BFR? How far in advance of the expiry of the previous BFR can you do it? (Tried searching, but there are a million and one threads about BFRs, and they all seem to be about getting the initial one, or where to get one in the UK.)

To put the question into context, I have a BFR dated (I think) 8th December 2001. I'll be in the States between 8th and 29th November this year, so although I won't actually need a BFR to fly there, because my old one won't have expired, I was wondering if I can/should renew it while I'm there.

Thanks!

FFF
----------------

2Donkeys
20th Oct 2003, 20:36
You can renew your BFR when you are there if you wish, and you will then have another 2 years from the date of the renewal.

2D

Fly Stimulator
20th Oct 2003, 21:01
Was the great debate as to whether one needs a BFR for an FAA Airman's Certificate based upon one's JAR licence ever finally resolved?

FlyingForFun
20th Oct 2003, 21:04
Thanks 2Ds.

Fly - I wasn't aware there ever was any debate. Yes, you do need one, that is quite explicit in the FARs I think.

FFF
--------------

2Donkeys
20th Oct 2003, 21:07
Indeed FS. There is no question, despite a rather misleading note issued by NY Flight Standards a little while ago, a "restricted" FAA licence issued on the back of your PPL still requires a BFR.

The only exception to this occurs if the licence on which it is based is itself subject to a BFR which the US finds to be equivalent to its own.

Since JAA licences do not have a BFR as such, this is not an option for us.

2D

Fly Stimulator
20th Oct 2003, 21:17
Thanks for the confirmation chaps!

Later...

Just been searching around to see if I had imagined that there was ever any confusion and found the following from no less a figure than BEagle in this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48875) :
I'm not sure why you bothered with a BFR if you held a Temporary Airman Certificate - the FAA told me that a BFR is NOT needed if your UK licence is kept valid..... Which was followed by a response from FFF as per the one above.

Now happy that I'm not going mad, and no longer in doubt about the need for BFRs!

dublinpilot
20th Oct 2003, 22:26
Following on then, if I let my FAA licence (based on my jaa one) go over the two years with out a bfr, is it just a case of taking a bfr to reactivate the privilages?

2Donkeys
20th Oct 2003, 22:36
Dublinpilot

That is correct - UNLESS your underlying licence also lapses or becomes void in the same interval. That licence must be valid under all circumstances.

2D

PS: Spent a very nice weekend in your fair city last weekend. A great time had by all.

dublinpilot
20th Oct 2003, 23:58
Thanks 2d.

Glad you enjoyed Dublin. Did you fly yourself?

2Donkeys
21st Oct 2003, 00:08
I did. I needed to be able to arrive at night, and in whatever weather, so went for Dublin International, and got handled by the imaginatively-named "FBO". Great service there and whilst the cost was high, you couldn't fault the welcome.

This time, the stay was far too short, but with family in Rathfarnham, we'll be back soon. It would be good to have a beer together :D

dublinpilot
21st Oct 2003, 16:36
Sure, that would be nice.

Let me know when you are back over here!

dp