PDA

View Full Version : Captain right handed flying the Airbus?.?.?

LETS FLY
19th Oct 2001, 20:09
ALLOA,

I got another question for you :p :
When a Captain on a Airbus is right handed, isn't it difficult for him to fly the aircraft manual? Isn't it like writing with your left hand wenn you are right handed?

THANXXXXXXXX a lot

Pielander
21st Oct 2001, 23:11
Just as the 'captain' of a single engine Piper or Cessna training aircraft does. I should think the vast majority of airline pilots (possibly excluding military) would have done all their training right up to CPL/IR flying left handed in this way.

Pengintai
22nd Oct 2001, 10:48
Just a personal note. I fly the A330 from either seat performing instructional duties. I don't notice any difference; flying with the sidestick in the left or right hand does not seem to matter.

SLT
22nd Oct 2001, 13:12
Don't forget though - if you use your other hand, it feels like somebody else!!!! (Allegedly!!) :D :D ;)

KIFIS
22nd Oct 2001, 15:01
Pengintai:

As an aside and just for the fun of it I tried to decode your nom de plume. Pengintai is not listed in Charles Huckers “ Dictionary of Official Titles in Imperial China ” , not in any of my English to Chinese dictionaries, not listed in Pinyin and not in my PC translator. Therefore I must assume it is not a real word or a phrase. The secret is yours alone.
However, had you called yourself Ping An then I would have understood. You more than likely know there is nothing, absolutely nothing more important to an aviator than Ping An.

KIFIS

PorcoRosso
22nd Oct 2001, 16:30
Got it , KIFIS

;)

rr892igw
23rd Oct 2001, 07:53
THE NEUTRAL POSITION OF THE STICK IS SO WELL
DEFINED, ONE WOULD HARDLY INADVERTANTLY PUT IN ANY UNWANTED COMMAND LIKE THE CONVENTIONAL CONTROL COLUMN AND YOKE(EG.PULLING NOSE UP WITH A BIT LEFT WING DOWN).THUS,IT IS BEST FLOWN WITH TWO FINGERS.
THE METHOD TO REMEMBER IS INPUT, HOLD 1 SEC, LET GO.

KIFIS,
SEND ME A MAIL AND I'LL TELL YOU. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

reverserdeployed
23rd Oct 2001, 13:13
Before embarking on my PPL I wondered the same thing, being left-handed.

In my flight simmming days (now the real thing has no substitute!) I bought one of those groovy force feedback joysticks, but was a bit alarmed that the grip was for a right hander, not a left hander.

My old joystick you could use from either side.

But I found that swapping hands, as it were, made no difference and now I can use either hand to manipulate the controls.

When I fly for real now I find that sitting in the other seat poses more of a challenge in terms of the spatial 'positioning' of the aircraft, rather than any real difficulty swapping hands on the controls.

Question - would a veteran Captain find it a bit weird flying from the F/O's seat after many years on the other side of the flight deck?