PDA

View Full Version : A sad week for British aviation

bar shaker
19th Oct 2003, 23:21
I've just read Jeremy Clarkson's excellent epitaph, in the Sunday Times, to something that I will sadly miss.

I have never made enough money to fly on her and whilst this has always been in the back of my mind, today it really has got me down. Friday, this week, will see the last ever passenger flight of Concorde.

Whilst I have seen Concorde many times, I have only ever truly seen her once. A holiday on Nantuket involved a return flight from JFK. It was around 6pm and the sun was a massive golden ball, sillouetting the towers of Manhatten. And then she appeared. I did not see her at first, but the sudden silence amongst the thousands in JFK's departure lounge alerted me to something important. I cast my eyes in the direction of the masses and there she was. Nose drooped to the horizontal, standing on her engines, turning base over New York's cathedral's of commerce, the golden sun behind her. Never has anything looked so beautiful.

As she turned final, you could hear a pin drop. What had been a gathering of the loud, the precocious, the delayed and the weary suddenly turned into a collection of people sharing the same feeling. A recognition of something so good and so different that whether you were eight or eighty, it commanded the same respect.

As she touched her wheels down, I felt a tear in my eye. I have never been so proud to be British. In a country that, often rightly, claims to have the best of everything, several thousand people had been silenced by something so beautiful and so timeless that they could only look on in homage. In homage to something so profoundly British.

I will feel the same tear in my eye on Friday, for a different reason.

Concorde, RIP.

Evo
19th Oct 2003, 23:33
My Concorde memory is 2200 ft east of Reading, en-route to Sywell for the fly-in last year with sennadog. It was a beautiful day with a cloudless blue sky and as we were flying north Concorde climbed out westbound from Heathrow directly over us and a couple of thousand feet above. Wish I had a camera handy, but I'll never forget it. Wonderful. :D :(

fireflybob
20th Oct 2003, 01:17
My greatest memory of Concorde will be watching from one of the hills around Bristol (Filton) when the British prototype took off on its first flight.

The fields around Filton were filled by what must have been thousands of people to watch this historic event. The skies were blue with some faior weather Cu.

We were not sure whether it was going to he a high speed taxi run or if it would get airborne but as it lifted off there was a huge cheer from everyone around. It was a very special moment and as has been stated above one felt very proud of what had been achieved.

That day was, I believe, April 9th 1969.

Air travel has, to an extent, always been about going faster. Anyone who has travelled from, say, London to Sydney knows only too well what "long haul" means!

What is now needed is a bigger and better Concorde which can carry 250 passengers with some freight over at least 6,000 nm and which is much quieter in the airport environment. Whether this can ever be achieved economically is debatable but there again the sceptics said that Concorde would never work.

Charlie Zulu
20th Oct 2003, 01:48
Another concorde memory.

A few years ago I was training for my IMC and whilst in the hold at a few thousand feet above the runway my instructor asked me to remove my hood and he had control.

I thought I had done something a little wrong, I mean we were on approach frequency but I was concentrating so hard that I really didn't take any notice of the speedbird callsign.

When the hood was removed my instructor asked to look down at the approach and there she was. The sun glistening off her white skin, beautifully gliding down the glideslope of the ILS to a nice touchdown rollout.

After which I couldn't really concentrate so we left the hold and flew a Procedural ILS approach to the runway.

Later in the day after she had returned once again from her Bay of Biscay trip, we all stood at the "playpen" an area of apron that private general aviation aircraft are parked up on. This is conveniently the closest we could stand to the runway, about the same distance as a holding point line. She rotated a little bit past us with the unbelievable noise of her avtur guzzling Rolls-Royce Olympus engines.

This day was a year or so before the tragic accident in France which I believe started the ball rolling to the end of the supersonic era.

Once again on Thursday, I, together with many friends, will be standing on the same "play pen" to once again witness her arrival and departure. It shall be a very tearful occassion when we see her dissapear into the airways for the last time from our home base.

"She" will be sorely missed by not only those who built her, the nations who built and flew her, but everyone else around the world who admired the amazing grace that she still has thirty years on.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

WorkingHard
20th Oct 2003, 02:44
Agreed with all the above. What a sad day for Great Britain that we had to let the beancounters kill something so beautiful and inspiring. Like very few other icons, the world recognised the best of Britain. Of course France had a little to do with this but the world over thought it British. I do not want to start any kind of conspiracy theory BUT is there more to this than meets the eye. i well remember when Harold Wilson killed TSR2. not only was the programme abandoned but it was made certain that it could never be resurrected. Is the same happening with Concorde and if so why?

Whipping Boy's SATCO
20th Oct 2003, 02:54
My memory: Concorde bashing the cct at Brize Norton every so often. Could keep it tighter than a VC10/L1011 and would always draw a crowd.

British or French, a truly INSPIRING milestone in aviation.

BEagle
20th Oct 2003, 03:19
There were always more complaints at Brize when Concorde was due to be flying some training and didn;t make it than ever there were noise complaints when she did.

Taxiing out in a VC10 with an American exchange co-pilot in the right hand seat once, I remarked "Got many of those in the States?" as Concorde was in the circuit. Upon reaching the holding position we were asked "Are you ready for departure immediate, Concorde is at 10 miles".

All together "NO! We'll sit and watch!"

It won't be a sad day on the 24th, it'll be an utterly tragic one. For not only will the 9/11 terrorists have won another victory, but Britain will no longer be Great.

To hell with the spineless bean counters at ba - and to hell with the French assassins who brought about her premature death. For after their totally avoidable accident, they never recovered their seat occupancy rates. So it was hardly suprising that it was a French company who decided that it could no longer support her economically. Convenient that......

fireflybob
20th Oct 2003, 03:22
Another memory of Concorde was when I was flying for a "leading" leisure airline on the A320. We often flew to Funchal (Madeira) from Manchester and the flight times were such that very often on climb out past Brecon we would hear "Speedbird Concorde" on climb out from LHR on its way to JFK.

Not a lot thats too notable about that you might say except that we then often heard it on descent on its way back into LHR. The only difference is that we had flown to Funchal and back (Flight Time approx 3.45 each way) but in the same time Concorde had been to JFK and back! You could almost set your watch by it.

Tributes must also go to everyone who has been involved in Concorde's operation from manufacture through to airline service. I guess that flying a supersonic airliner can be quite challenging and all credit to the crews who have flown her so successfully over the years. This must of course include the crews of Air France and our condolences still go to families and friends of those lost in the Paris accident. Sometimes pioneers have to take the arrows - lets hopes its not too long before another SST appears in our skies again.

BEagle
20th Oct 2003, 03:37
I can't help thinking that, for all her faults, if that old bat with the handbag was still in No. 10, Skippy would have been invited round for a 'no tea, no biscuits' chat.......

fireflybob
20th Oct 2003, 03:48
Beagle - could not agree with you more!

Why not give them to Branson and let him get on with it?

Wee Jock
20th Oct 2003, 03:58
My memory is watching the mach meter going through 2.0, looking out of the tiny window at the navy blue sky, seeing the curve of the earth we were so high up, and nobody wanting to get off when we were on the chocs. I'll miss her flying over my house every day, too. Been there, done that, got the certificate, and it was worth every bLoody penny. Thank you, Conc. XXX:ok:

PA38
20th Oct 2003, 04:34
I did my GFT (PPL) out of Manchester when Concorde was doing one of her jollies, I had thousands of faces in every gap in the fence all watching me in my tomahawk:ok:

down&out
20th Oct 2003, 05:02
I've just watched the BBC2 'love' documentry and although it glossed over alot of the isseus, was still enjoyable.

My lasting memory from my trip back from JFK in her is of feeling the heat come in through the windows whilst at Mach 2, 55,000' and with an OAT -56 C. The closest thing to space & re-entry I'm sure I'll ever get.:rolleyes:

Something to tell the kids.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
20th Oct 2003, 05:15
I certainly treasure my Concorde experience. PA38's post makes me wonder if that might have been 'my' flight - I waved back from the cockpit side-window to all those frantically waving enthusiasts in the garden of the Airport Hotel at Manch that fine August morning. And seeing the whole operation first hand from push back, to mach 2.02 at 60,000 feet, to landing in Paris from the jump seat I regard as as a fabulous privaledge and a true highlight in my life.

I shall raise a glass on Friday, and perhaps shed a tear when the last Concorde landing has taken place, which will presumably be the at the termination of the last 'final resting place' delivery flight.

SSD

The Phoenix Rises
20th Oct 2003, 16:38
Hi bar shaker:

Beautifully written. Thank you.

TP

ozplane
20th Oct 2003, 19:05
My best Concorde moment happened when I was playing hockey in Marlow. Ironically we were playing a BA-related team (Silver Wings social club?) and we had just equalised to make the score 1-1 when the ref blew up for no apparent reason. Naturally we all yelled "What was that for ?" and the ref simply pointed up and said "Look, it's Concorde" Amazingly there wasn't a single complaint and all 22 players stood and watched it climb out of sight. Doesn't happen a lot with Boeings.
(By the way we won 2-1 in extra time!)

strafer
20th Oct 2003, 19:59
I spent a couple of years at primary school in Brize in the 70's and at lunchtimes we used to run down to the perimeter fench and watch Concorde's touch & gos. Even then, we knew it was cool. And yesterday evening, I flew an approach to 07 at White Waltham as Concorde approached 09 at LHR just over my right shoulder. We were the only aircraft in the sky that I could see. Sad to think it'll never happen again.

Spikeee
20th Oct 2003, 20:54
I've been watching every program that has come on TV about it but never seen it 1st hand.

After reading these post i've just had to book the day off work and go to Manchester to see it!

Wonder what the chances of flying into Manc are on wed! I'll easily get in before it with a 70kt app' :/

Speedbird252
20th Oct 2003, 22:49
Absolutley cracking photo of her coming into Heathrow this month on airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=441886)

Speaks a thousand words.

:{

Evanelpus
20th Oct 2003, 23:25
Speedbird 252

That picture is my screensaver now, absolutely awesome.

Having been a spotter, some years lapsed now, I can honestly say that even the hardened LHR spotters stopped what they were doing in the park at Mrytle Road to watch Concorde land on 27L.

Will indeed be another nail in the coffin of British industry and technology.

Blind lemon
21st Oct 2003, 00:13
Its the 'British' Apollo. Let Branson get his mitts on them I say.
They are too good to retire just yet.

:D

Jerricho
21st Oct 2003, 01:02
There have been quite a few times when 09 has been in use and on the radaI have seen circuit bashing at Walthan with the pointy one turning on overhead. Must be bloody impressive to see!

Eddie_Crane
21st Oct 2003, 01:07
There is a very complete BBC coverage here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/uk/2003/concorde_retirement/

and the "virtual tour" is a quick but powerful explanation of this flying wonder from people who have flown it.
I think Capt Bannister's description and Sir Frost's commentary are a great testimony to the technical advances and beauty of this flying machine.
Saw it myself taking off 09R @EGLL in the rain a few years back, kept the pictures in frames ever since.

BeauMan
21st Oct 2003, 01:45
Some beautiful memories of a beautiful aeroplane. Thanks all. :ok:

I've got a few, mainly of her few appearances at RIAT, or the old Clophill Village Fete in Bedfordshire (anyone else remember those?). I'd love to be able to remember her first flight from Filton, but I was only one day old. Maybe that's why I feel such an affinity for the old girl; we're almost twins.

Certainly I felt as though a piece of me had died on the day of the Paris crash, and although I don't want to witness the end, I'll be at LHR on Friday. I owe it to Concorde.

But the one image of Concorde that I'll never forget was from earlier this year, early April I think. I'd just returned from Brussels with work, and while my colleague unlocked his car I suddenly heard that unmistakable roar. We both looked up and there she was, climbing out over us in the car park at the end of 09L, and roaring away in a climbing turn into the murky twilight, burners glowing. We were rooted to the spot, even after she'd gone. That graceful old lady was defiantly making her point; "Look at me! I might be thirty-something, I might have had my problems, but I'm not finished yet. I'm STILL the most impressive aeroplane the world has ever seen!".

A week later, the end was announced.... :(

jrbt
21st Oct 2003, 01:48
Bragging: on 28 October 1986 I flew Concorde JFK to Heathrow in 3h16m for price of...$250! As a courier, while that was still possible.

One week ago, 13 October 2003, I finally saw it fly from the outside, standing next to the water in Howard Beach, Queens, for JFK takeoff.

Concorde is a *hot rod*.

Watching regular jets take off, followed by Concorde, is like watching government bureaucrats drive by in their Plymouths, followed by James Bond in his Ferrari. :)

Funkie
21st Oct 2003, 01:50
I could not have been much older than 11, now 25, when my father had taken both myself and my sister to South Queensferry just North of EDI, to do the divorced parents thing!!

As we walked along the car park towards the Forth Rail bridge, I heard this almighty roar from behind me, being a young and keen enthusiast of aviation, I assumed that it was a number of F4’s ripping up the Forth on their way home to Leuchars….

Oh, how wrong was I.:eek:

There, before my very eye’s was the most awesome sight I have ever seen in aviation, Concorde at lowish level heading to the mouth of the Forth.

As soon as I was home with my Mother, I told her all about it. I must have relived the experience with so much enthusiasm, as before I could even ask if we could go down to the airport for a look, she grabbed the car keys we were heading out the front door.

We arrived at the old Turnhouse entrance on the North East side of the airport, and there she was on the other side of some chain link fence. There were some BA reps at the gate and I asked if I could have a look inside, but due to a quick turnaround, all I could get was a picture of me at the undercarriage of this awe inspiring aircraft.

I’ll be back at EDI on Friday for only my second encounter, this time, I'll see her final flight.

:(

IO540
21st Oct 2003, 02:44
I've spoken to a few people at BA over the last few months. The story about Airbus not wanting to maintain Concorde is bunk; they are very happy to do it (and get paid for it). But BA will never let Branson have the plane because Virgin would be seen as Britain's #1 carrier if they got it.

rotorcraig
21st Oct 2003, 07:07
Sat in a meeting at work today, heard a loud noise, looked out of the window and saw Concorde climbing out of Birmingham (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3206788.stm)

Fantastic sight :cool: - last saw her leaving LHR whilst on a tower visit earlier in the year.

RC

RatherBeFlying
21st Oct 2003, 08:57
Was visiting Oshkosh back in '84 or so when Concorde came in for barnstorming.

All of EAA were watching the approach 50 yards or so from the runway and I managed to position myself not too far from the touchdown spot and was treated to a go-around with burner.

You felt the noise more than heard it.

bar shaker
21st Oct 2003, 16:40
I've just heard that Police are expecting between between 500,000 and 1m people to be in the LHR area on Friday for the final flight. Signs on the M25 are already warning of serous delays.

I'll be there.

EEJay
22nd Oct 2003, 15:45
El european president (in waiting) Blair clearly does not dare to upset the French by continuing to operate Concorde while they clearly cannot. Could it be that Airbus have a secret set of instructions, they are after all a French company?

Not much longer now before Great Britain becomes Britain and then 'that little island off the coast of France'.

Please lets have someone incharge with some b@lls.

EKKL
22nd Oct 2003, 17:12
[rantON]I think it takes balls to invade a foreign country while the entire population of the planet are against it. Get real moron.[rantOFF/]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My best Concorde moment came whilst in a traffic jam on the m25, it took off and flew directly overhead my car. The wife was asleep and as soon as I noticed her taking off I tried waking her up. Didn't take long though as soon as she went over she certainly woke up then. :) Fantastic view and equally fantastic noise. :ok:

Viggen
22nd Oct 2003, 20:57
well i've just spent a couple of hours freezing my nuts off at the end of Manchester's 06L, but it was worth it to see the graceful arrival - for the last time - of Speedbird Concorde.

Having seen the thousands of people who had turned out to see her (some appeared to have been camped there overnight!) I have to question why we are letting this happen...

:(

Aussie Andy
22nd Oct 2003, 22:06
question why we are letting this happen Um, isn't it because the service can no longer be operated as profitably as with competing aircraft?

I too share the sense of loss with Concorde's passing from active service, but sadly airlines have to make a profit to keep pilots employed (surely we all agree with that?) and so romantic notions alone can't keep aircraft flying beyond their useful economic lives. The same is true for many lovely old airplanes...

Sorry if this seems harsh, but its life. If Branson can run them safely AND profitably, without subsidy, then well and good.

And as for blaming Blair... huh?

Andy

Shaggy Sheep Driver
22nd Oct 2003, 22:09
06L? If she came in on time (11:30), why didn't she land on 06R, which is usually the duty runway until 12:00?

If I'd been able to get down I'd probably have gone for a field overlooking 06R (near Bollin House Farm, if anyone knows it - footpath through the field there).

SSD

Holdposition
22nd Oct 2003, 23:24
SSD

Yes it was 06L and I took a walk along said footpath, superb sight as I sat on one of the posts next to the ILS equipment!. Saw an old lady walk the path who I swear could hardly see let alone walk!! just goes to show the pull the old girl has, when i get chance will try put couple pics on here, cheers

chrisN
23rd Oct 2003, 01:55
Some news from FAI:

"World Record Claim related to the imminent last flight of Concorde.

Since its first flight in 1969, Concorde has already set more than 170 World Records. A few days before its last flight next 24 October, Concorde claimed the following new World Record :

Class C (Aeroplanes) / Claim number 7910 :
Sub-class : C-1 (Landplanes)
Group 3 : turbo-jet
Type of record : Speed over a commercial air route
Course/location : London (UK) - Boston, MA (USA)
Performance : 1'692.47 km/h
Pilot : Mike BANNISTER (UK)
Aircraft : Aérospatiale/BAC Concorde
Date 08.10.2003
Current record : new"

Chris N.

rotorcraig
23rd Oct 2003, 02:30
I was at LHR for a tower visit a few months ago, 09R was in use for departures.

Concorde however departed 09L as the surface was better (due to resurfacing works on 09R) and tollerance is apparently much lower than other aircraft.

Could be similar situation at Manchester?

RC

brockenspectre
23rd Oct 2003, 14:16
In case anyone isn't going to LHR and wants to watch, the following programmes will be shown on British tv tomorrow and Saturday:

Friday 24 October

1530 (1hr 45m) BBC2 – Concorde’s Final Bow live
1800 and 2100 (1hr) Discovery Wings – The Concorde Era
2000 and 2300 (30m) Discovery Wings – Flight Deck
2000 (1hr) Discovery – Concorde: Anatomy of a Disaster

Saturday 25 October

2000 (1hr) History Channel – Crash Files
0000 (1hr) Discovery Wings – Flight Deck

:ok:

DamienB
23rd Oct 2003, 16:59
SSD -
06L? If she came in on time (11:30), why didn't she land on 06R, which is usually the duty runway until 12:00?

She was actually a bit late, after 12, but she was going to land 06L anyway as that's closer to the viewing park full of thousands upon thousands of paying customers!

I've put some piccies up on the av. hist. & nostalgia forum.

bar shaker
23rd Oct 2003, 17:16
I'm not very familiar with LHR. The wind is forecast as NW so I guess they will be using 27.

Any tips on a good place to watch this tomorrow afternoon?

LHR are asking people not to go into the airport so somewhere on the perimeter?

Near a pub? ;)

bar shaker
23rd Oct 2003, 18:26
For anyone else that's planning on going, I found this which has some info on where to view.

concorde spotters bbs (http://pub13.ezboard.com/fconcordesstfrm9?page=4)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
23rd Oct 2003, 20:38
She was actually a bit late, after 12, but she was going to land 06L anyway as that's closer to the viewing park full of thousands upon thousands of paying customers!

And the approach is further east, so she wouldn't be as low over Knutsford / Mobberley as she would on 06R, so fewer noise complaints.

Super pics, as usual, DamianB. Did you have airside access?

SSD

BRL
24th Oct 2003, 01:11
I will be here from about 5pm http://www.thegreenmanbedfont.co.uk/

Cheers......

bar shaker
24th Oct 2003, 16:27
BRL

Hope to see you there, sounds like it could be quite a party

:) :\ :ooh: :uhoh: :yuk: :zzz: ;)

BRL
24th Oct 2003, 17:37
Ok then, here is my mobile if you fancy a pint...... 07967820988
Paul. :ok:

paulo
26th Oct 2003, 20:50
Bar shaker - nice to meet you.

BRL - always a chore, never a pleasure. :p

PS Did you really take that concorde cake wing piece all the way home? :)

DamienB
26th Oct 2003, 21:15
SSD -
Super pics, as usual, DamianB. Did you have airside access?

Nope. Only made the decision to go the day before so roughed it in the viewing park ;)

It looks like the last retirement flight will be one of them going into Filton, so if anybody here has a contact who can get me airside, PM me!

bar shaker
26th Oct 2003, 23:12
Good to meet you and BRL too Paulo.

BRL, you didn't ?

BRL
27th Oct 2003, 02:02
Nah..... I left it on the tube..... !!!!

Good to meet new faces in the pub. Had a good time. GR's site had a private party that we gatecrashed but no-one minded a bit, even got a load of champagne that someone had bought for everyone there. Unbelievable.

I'll tell you what though, I had some hangover the next day. I was only in the pub for 3 hours, if that, but must have drunk quite a bit. My head was killing me the morning after. :yuk:

Check back tommorow and I will post some pictures from the day. :)