PDA

View Full Version : Instructor's Test!! Help!!

flymeboy
19th Oct 2003, 06:53
A quick question for anyone who knows a bot about the flight instructor FI(R) test! I am just half way through a course at the moment. I am wondering whether or not it is a test that you can fail "easily"? Is it a test that is renound for having people fail? I know it contains the flight, the short brief and a long brief as well as the oral! Anyone with any infor that would be great!!

Field In Sight
19th Oct 2003, 18:24
I did the FIC test about 2 months ago.

It used to be that you did your initial test and then you could avoid having to be tested again by revalidating each 3 years with both experience and seminars. This made the initial test quite rigorous because it was the only time to check your standard of instructing.

Now you have do another flight test on your first renewal. Apparently this has made the initial flight test a tad more relaxed.

This is what my examiner explained to me anyway.
I think if you prepare for the test like any other then you will be fine.

Good luck.

Send Clowns
20th Oct 2003, 04:11
It does not have a reputation as a common failure, unlike for example the IRT. Think of it more as a check out than a test - I know there is not much difference, but it was explained to me as just a check that you are up to speed. This helped calm me, and I passed.

Gazeem
20th Oct 2003, 04:21
Agree with the others,

unless you are dangerous you should be absolutely fine......still work hard for it though!

John Pearce
22nd Oct 2003, 04:58
I did my initial rating about 4 months ago now.

It didn't feel like a test at all to be honest. Yes you've got to work for it. If you get a choice in your main flying lesson, the main one to be assessed on, don't pick something too basic, it's too open ended and you could get yourself into a situation where you're working hard trying to remember all the little fine points and under test conditions you fill to capacity. Above all, keep flying that aeroplane.

I was on a course where 2 of us trained and tested back to back. My training partner, (who now works part time with me) did Straight and Level Pt1 and I opted for Basic Stalling.

Exercises that you can build up on stage by stage are great. The main point the examiner is looking for throughout the day, and my test day went on for nearly 10 hours, is "Has this guy/gal taught me anything?"

Long briefing. Be clear and concise. Diagrams. Ask questions, keep the b***er interested! Pictures do the work, lines of statements bore examiners. If they're anything like the one I had, they like hand outs at the end too. (personal collections)

Just relax and enjoy it. Good luck!!
JP