PDA

View Full Version : Flying in the USA

Courtman
19th Oct 2003, 05:11
I know.. I know.. it's been covered on here loads but having used the search engine and who-knows-what-else I'm still unsure. So can someone answer the following for me please?!

1. Mrs Courtman needs an FAA Licence for our trip in January. I understand the CAA must give a reference and have downloaded a page from the CAA website, but how does she apply for the FAA licence at the same time as specified on the CAA page?

2. We plan to check out on a C172 and fly around Florida when we are there. Mrs Courtman has never flown a C172 and I've only done a couple of hours, does this check-out constitute "training"? I also need my BFR, is this training? If it is, I need a visa - which one?!

3. Not sure on this, but we might just go to Jack Browns for a day and fly a Cub there. I've done some seaplane flying in Seattle but that was training pre 911. If we decide to do that, what visa should we get and is it worth getting it just to be on the safe side?

Thanks for the input.

Regards,
Courtman

:ok: :bored: :oh: :uhoh: :\ :ugh: :yuk: :*

Charlie Zulu
19th Oct 2003, 10:23
Hi Courtman,

1. To apply for a restricted FAA PPL issued under Part 61.75 based on the JAA/CAA PPL, one should follow the following process:

a) Browse to http://www2.faa.gov/avr/afs/flightinstruction/index.cfm and click on the "Download Form" link. Print this out and fill it in. A list of FSDO's can be found at http://www2.faa.gov/avr/afs/fsdo/index.cfm.

b) Send the completed FAA form from (a) by fax to the FAA Airmen Certification branch in Oklahoma, the fax number is 001 (405) 954-9922 and can be verified at the following link: http://registry.faa.gov/airmen.asp#verify.

c) Browse to the CAA form SRG1160 at http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/publicationdetails.asp?id=521 (another pdf file). Print it out and fill it in. Ensure you include your payment details (£15) on form.

d) Send the completed CAA form to the CAA either by fax or snail mail as per instructions on the form.

That is all you need to do.

The following will automatically happen:

a) The FAA will send you a confirmation of receipt that they have received your application. This confirmation will be sent probably same day or next working day to the email address you provided (if any).

b) The FAA will send an a request to the UK CAA for them to confirm your licence is valid etc.

c) The CAA will take the money off you

d) The CAA will then send a confirmation back to the FAA.

e) The FAA will send you an email informing you that the application has been successful.

f) The FAA will send a "Letter of Authenticity" by snail mail to your address and the FSDO.

Once you have the letter of authenticity you can go to the FSDO specified on the FAA form. The visit to the FSDO will require your passport (as photo id), pilots licence, medical etc. YOu will fill in the FAA 8170 form at the FSDO and 30 minutes later will walk out with the FAA PPL issued under 61.75 in your hands.

Important note is before you go to the FSDO give them a call as many FSDO's require visitors to make appointments, they will not allow anyone else into the building for security reasons.

Mine was validated within 2 weeks from the date I sent the fax to the FAA (I had restricted the FAA PPL already and just needed the Letter of Authentication to present to the designated examiner for a checkride).

2. This is *not* constituted as training. Mrs Courtman will have a FAA PPL issued under 61.75 (based on the JAA licence). This will have an Single Engine Land Plane Rating on it (assuming the JAA licence does) and so will be legally entitled to fly the C172 without further training.

However as you say, due to insurance regulations and good basic common sense then a checkout will be required. The Checkout will be part of the BFR which Mrs Courtman will be required to undertake to make the FAA PPL legal (even for those issued under 61.75 on basis of the JAA PPL).

The BFR is not training for the issue of a licence / certificate or rating. It is merely a requirement to keep the FAA PPL current and legal and as such is not treated as training in the eyes of immigration.

3. Do you have a Single Engine Sea Rating? If so then you won't need a visa as you're legal to fly them. However if you don't have a Sea plane rating on your FAA PPL then even if you do just an hour in the sea plane with an instructor this will constitute "training towards a licence or rating" and an M-1 Student visa will be required.

However in order to have an M-1 visa issued the flight school (Jack Browns) will need to be able to register you on the IEASES (I think) computer system which has to be done as the I20M form that you take to the US Embassy is printed from the computer system. For them to access the computer system they need a password, which means they need to be M-1 / J-1 Visa Approved by the Immigration team.

Have a nice time in Florida, I'm back in Naples next March, can't wait! :-)

I've been on night shift this week, that is why I've replied at a g**-forsaken time of the morning!

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.