PDA

View Full Version : JAA to FAA

covec
18th Oct 2003, 20:14
Anyone gone the other route i.e. emigrating to the states and making a go of Flying Instruction &/or commuter-regional turboprop flying for a living? (NB Not charter or national airline stuff).

Flyin'Dutch'
20th Oct 2003, 23:03
Not done it but may be the following will help.

You will need to get a CPL.

Medical class 2 (can be done here in the UK) and the writtens need to be done.

The writtens are not difficult.

There are some quirky things in the flight experience department (Check FAR/AIM = online) which you have to have done and get signed off by an FAA instructor to state that you are ready for the test.

The test can also be done her in the UK.

If you need further information about writtens and test you can do worse than ringing AFT @ Norwich and talk to Tom Hughston on 01603 301902.

HTH

FD

vfr on top
21st Oct 2003, 16:56
Hey!!

yea did that going to USA thing. was out there for a couple of years. Trained for 1 year then intsructed for a year. Had a really great experience-a lot of fun and quick hours. But the situation with jobs is very bad-even worse then here. I'm sure you'll pick up an instructing job in a major flight school or something, but charter or airlines etc-very difficult at the moment. I know this because of friends etc that are still over there.

Have you got a visa or work permit or anything? I heard thats getting tough too!
let me know if you wanna know more!

Cheers