PDA

View Full Version : Cheddington?

Penguina
18th Oct 2003, 01:06
Does anyone know anything about the status of this airfield? My map seems to think it's still open and I have consulted a couple of very seasoned aviators in my acquaintance who seem to think it's a fine place to land, as long as you're aware that the runways are quite narrow.

However, according to a bit of web research I have just done, it was closed after the war (when it was a USAF bomber base or something), was used by the army for a bit (gather there was a nuclear bunker based very nearby for a while...) and is now used for agriculture.

Obviously there's a fascinating history attached to this place, but the burning question is 'could I go and land there?'

This is probably a very daft enquiry; I have to admit, I still haven't quite got to grips with all this stuff. I've been flying for quite a while, but only just got my PPL. It would be a fun project for me, because I have a friend who lives in the village. The idea of literally descending one day seems a bit irresistable, but I wouldn't want to do anything naughty. :D

greatorex
18th Oct 2003, 01:47
Hi P,

Checked all of my info and couldn't find anything on it but maybe give the boys and girls at RAF Halton ("next door") a call and see if they can help?

Their number is: 01296 623535 Ext 6367.

Hope that helps. . .

Cheers,

G

DOC.400
18th Oct 2003, 01:53
Penguina

-I flew in a few years ago to collect local friends.

I have just checked and it is still open, but a private strip and PPR. Quite narrow from my memory.

E me direct for a contact number. I don't want them being besieged with calls!!

DOC

A and C
18th Oct 2003, 02:05
The strip has a number of things that could spoil your day so a briefing from the operator of the strip is a must !

DOC.400
18th Oct 2003, 02:15
Quite right A & C!! Forewarned is forearmed!!

Mind you, these strip owners briefings do vary a bit, don't they!!!
From mind bogglingly every detail and pit fall to b*gger all.

I remember flying into Westbury some years ago -very full brief about the curved runway in a filled in railway cutting with electric cables on the north side and a six foot drop from one end to the other. What he didn't prepare me for was the tree I had to lift a wing over on short finals and the state of the surface -basically road scrapings!! Never again.....But I was collecting someone, so had to go back again that day to drop them off........

DOC

greatorex
18th Oct 2003, 02:29
The strip has a number of things that could spoil your day :uhoh:

Blimey A & C, you've got me intrigued. . . such as what?

Cheers,

G

BRL
18th Oct 2003, 03:42
DOC.400 says it is narrow. Well, judge for yourself............

http://www.36rcm.com/airfields/cheddington/images/113txylarge.jpg

Taken from here----->Cheddington Airbase............. (http://www.36rcm.com/airfields/cheddington/cheddington.htm)

DOC.400
18th Oct 2003, 03:49
THAT is not the strip!!

LOL

DOC

BRL
18th Oct 2003, 04:15
Hahahaha........... I know, I know.....!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Penguina
18th Oct 2003, 18:48
:D

Shame, BRL, because I'm quite good at landing in that kind of shape... :O

Go on A & C, tell us what could spoil my day, please!

Evo
18th Oct 2003, 19:10
Clubhouse looks better than some... ;)

http://www.36rcm.com/airfields/cheddington/images/techgatelarge.jpg

A and C
19th Oct 2003, 00:31
The H T electric wires at the western end of the runway might just grab your attention.............or if not your attention perhaps your landing gear !.

Martinburney
19th Oct 2003, 12:05
Hi

The former Raf Station at Cheddington is at
Grid Ref SP910160 or Lat / Long N5150-W00040

There is also a strip at Church Farm, cheddington at
Grid Ref SP919155 or Lat / Long N5149-W00040

Regards Martin Burney

Penguina
19th Oct 2003, 17:56
Ah, thanks, that makes more sense now. Well, who knows, maybe one day before too long. I'm in a position to check it out from the ground first, after all.

Evo - that's often the welcome you get at Elstree, so I'll feel right at home! ;)