PDA

View Full Version : Atpl/jar Fcl

A340_rulez
10th Oct 2003, 03:53
HEy all.

I am wondering what the difference between an Atpl and a JAR FCL is.
I was reading some meaterial and came accross the two.
THe material was saying that one either needs an ATPL or a JAR FCL to work the this airline i was reading about but i would like to know fo the differences please
;)

parris50
10th Oct 2003, 06:24
I think the JAR FCL is the plain old CPL. Mine has "JAR-FCL Commercial Pilot Licence" on the blue cover but inside is just called a "Flight Crew Licence"

The ATPL is a separate licence granted after you hace CPL/IR/MCC and had appropriate flying experience.

dorosenco
10th Oct 2003, 06:55
JAR-FCL means Joint Aviation Regulations - Flight Crew Licensing. Asking what the difference between JAR-FCL and ATPL is, is like asking what is the difference between the FAA and ATPL.

ATPL is Airline Transport Pilot's License...

:O

Krallu
10th Oct 2003, 14:28
ATPL is a separate licence that you can get when you have appropiate flight time, before that you have frozen ATPL right?

So, whta's the different from a pilot with frozen ATPL and one that have the full ATPL licence. What is he allowed to do that the one with the forzen can't do?

Thanks!

Mr Average
10th Oct 2003, 16:07
An 'un forzen' ATPL is needed to act as a commander of an air transport flight.

FlyingForFun
10th Oct 2003, 16:59
Oh dear, what a confusing thread! :hmm: Hopefully this will clarify, rather than confuse thing further.

JAR-FCL is a set of rules which describe how JAA states license their pilots. It stands for Joint Aviation Regulations - Flight Crew Licensing

ATPL is an Air Transport Pilots License. This is an ICAO (i.e. recognised world-wide) license.

As dorosenco says, you can't compare the two. A340_rulez - I suspect that whatever it was you were reading was asking for an ATPL issued in accordance with JAR-FCL. It's not an either/or thing at all.

Krallu then went on to mention a frozen ATPL. The official answer is that there is no such thing as a frozen ATPL. The phrase is used colloquially to refer to a CPL/IR, with passes in the ATPL exams. This phrase only seems to be used in the UK.

Mr Average is almost correct with the difference between the "frozen ATPL" and a full ATPL. You need an ATPL to be a commander of an air transport flight on a multi-pilot aircraft.

Clear as mud? Good!

FFF
--------------

A340_rulez
10th Oct 2003, 23:29
ok Thanks now i understand

In addition to that i have another queston.
SAy if mrx (for example) had and ATPL obtained in england could he use that ATPL if he wanted to work for a european airline outside of the UK?
Do you see what i mean?
Basically do countries have their own ATPL's?

Cheers
;)

dorosenco
11th Oct 2003, 03:16
- if the ATPL was issued following JAA regulations than YES you can use it to fly as PIC in any JAA registered aircraft.

- if the ATPL was issued following national UK regulations than you have to convert it to a JAA ATPL before working for a foreign JAA airline.

BillieBob
11th Oct 2003, 07:22
if the ATPL was issued following national UK regulations than you have to convert it to a JAA ATPL before working for a foreign JAA airline Not true! - My UK national ATPL was validated by the LBA for use in German registered aircraft when I was on a short-term contract to Lufthansa last year. I didn't have to get a JAA ATPL then, nor will I ever have to in the future. The only advantage of a JAA licence is that you don't have to go through the validation process, but then it's not that complicated - just a few e-mails.

A340_rulez
12th Oct 2003, 03:20
thanks every one that was really helpful