PDA

View Full Version : What country has registration HE-xxx

Rwy in Sight
9th Oct 2003, 01:16
An ultra light or rather very light type of aircraft crashed the other day in Nothern Greece.

The registration I saw was HE- something. I know HB is a swiss registration, but what country HE is?

Curiosity is my sin.

Rwy in Sight

reynoldsno1
9th Oct 2003, 03:55
AFAIK HE is not allocated as an international registration mark. It could be associated with the HEllenic Republic - do Greece run a national registration scheme for aircraft that do not operate internationally?

Rwy in Sight
9th Oct 2003, 05:25
Our national registration is SX-... So Çellenic Republic although impressive on you knowing my country's name does seem improbable. I mean I never heard of international / domestic destinations...

Thanks for your assistance.

Rwy in Sight

PPRuNe Radar
9th Oct 2003, 06:34
HE- is not registered as State marking by ICAO. Possibly a badly marked HB- ???

radeng
9th Oct 2003, 17:19
In the ITU list, the group HEA to HEZ is allocated to Switzerland, and ICAO seems to follow the ITU list.

Although I've not heard of any UK aircraft with a registration M-XXXX or 2A-XXXX! ( the UK has the series MAA to MZZ as well as 2AA to 2ZZ)

MikeSamuel
10th Oct 2003, 04:49
Oh hurry up people and use up all the G-regs so I can get M-IKEY!!!

Timothy
10th Oct 2003, 05:27
This (http://www1.faa.gov/ATpubs/CNT/CNTHME.HTM) answers many such questions, including the decode of all the company callsigns and much else.

Hope helps.

W

Sheep Guts
10th Oct 2003, 06:07
I belive HE is Columbia in South America. HP I believe is Panama. I may be wrong

Timothy
10th Oct 2003, 21:09
According to the document I posted two posts back on this very thread Columbia is HK and Panama is indeed HP.

According to that document (and it seems pretty reliable) HE isn't allocated.

W

JW411
13th Oct 2003, 18:07
The letter M**** used by UK aircraft refers only to military aircraft. When I was in the RAF (many moons ago) each aircraft had a Mike radio callsign allocated.

For example, it worked like this - MOGKG translated as follows:

M: British military aeroplane.
O: Command (eg Transport Command).
G: Aircraft Type.
K: Squadron.
G: Individual aircraft.

Before my time, the radio callsign was painted on the nose cone of transport aircraft.

Other countries use a similar system for their military aircraft. I seem to remember that Holland uses PE (eg PE-XAD) and Belgium OT (eg OT-CBG).

So, you are going to have to join up and then wait a very long time before you get to MIKEY!

Keef
20th Oct 2003, 06:50
'Tis the same alphabetic allocation as is used for amateur radio and other callsigns (where 2A and M are used as well as G).

An amateur callsign starting HE would be the same as HB - namely Switzerland. My guess would be that HE-xxx is Swiss Mil.

H4 is Solomon Islands
H5 is Bophuthatswana
HA is Hungary
HB is Swiss/Liechtenstein
HC is Ecuador

and so it goes on ... and on ... and on.

Keef
G3OIT
GW3OIT
Formerly DJ0MR

Pianorak
20th Oct 2003, 21:07
Where do I find a list of the three-letter identifier of airports, ie London Heathrow LHR etc.? Have been looking everywhere - but obviously in all the wrong places. :{

Circuit Basher
20th Oct 2003, 21:38
It's certainly in the Flight Information Supplement (which comes with one of the popular IFR Touring Guides). If you're just after the 3 letter ICAO Commerical Airport decodes, they're certainly in British Airways timetables.

Have just done a search of the BA Web site and can't find the info there, but have found this site (http://www.mapping.com/airportcodes.html), which should help.

Pianorak
21st Oct 2003, 05:08
Thanks Circuit Basher – one link leading to another turned out to be quite a voyage of discovery - instructive as well as entertaining. :ok: