PDA

View Full Version : Instructors Hogging R/T!

WelshFlyer
3rd Oct 2003, 21:51
I need a bit of advice about my instructor. (I'll not mention any names here).

I'm going to do my R/T test in the next month or two, but the only times I have used R/T was once when I flew with another instructor. The instructor I normally fly with has so far, not suggested or let me use the R/T. And to be quite honest I'm a bit affraid that I won't pass my R/T exam due to lack of practice.

I don't think I'll have any trouble with any of the other exams for PPL ir CPL over the next few months, but basic PPL R/T is quite a daunting prospect.

Has anyone else had this problem/dose anyone have any advice. My instructor is a great instructor apart from this R/T issue.

WF.

FlyingForFun
3rd Oct 2003, 21:58
Have you discussed this with your instructor?

Don't know about other instructors, but my instructor started off doing all the R/T himself. Then he let me call up for airfield information on the ground at the start of the flight, but he did everything else himself. After that, he'd let me call downwind and final. Gradually, as I progressed, he'd let me move on to the initial call to other frequencies, and then the "pass your message", and so on, until before I knew it I was handling everything.

FFF
--------------

Northern Highflyer
3rd Oct 2003, 22:00
What stage of training are you at ? If you are very low hours they may be concentrating on your flying ability for now. If you are near to going solo then you should be able to at least do your own circuit R/T. If you have already gone solo and still aren't doing your own R/T then I would question the instructor as to why.

Why not ask him politely if you can do your own R/T. Explain that you need to practice for the exam.

Ludwig
3rd Oct 2003, 22:01
How about just saying to him/her, look here, I'm doing my RT exam soon and I have not had any practical experince because you always do it. I would like to do it in future please. Perhaps you could give me some post event feed back as well, rather than jumping in when I stumble or pause.

If this is met with a refusal, speak to the cfi.

mr_flydive
3rd Oct 2003, 22:06
Ask the Instructor if you can do the R/T

There may be a reason he does it ? considers the work load too high for your current level of flying skills and he doesn't wish to overload you.
However, there is no reason not to at least start with the basics at less stressful times.

Take a pen and paper
Know what you are likely to say before you say it
You can plan the R/T even prior to the flight especially if you know the wind Runway in use etc. Write things down

Also ATC really are your friends and they are meant to help you.
We all make mistakes so don't let it worry you too much initially

WelshFlyer
3rd Oct 2003, 22:16
My instructor is the cfi! also I am ready to solo but can't because I'm not yet 16. My instructor himself has said I'm ready to solo.

And I fly from a really small airfield, well nice long runway, but not much traffic.

WF.

Maxflyer
3rd Oct 2003, 22:26
When I was training, my school gave me an A5 fold out sheet with various calls on. I was told that I would be doing all the calls. I was nervous at first, but the tower knew that I was in a school aircraft and gave me the latitude necessary to get things right. On the occasions when I was overworked, the instructor would always help out.

Now I have my PPL I find I can say it very well - it's just the doing it that comes harder:)

Mark139
3rd Oct 2003, 22:41
One place you can safely practice R/T is online. Quite a few private & professional pilots & ATC spend time flying online with MS FlightSim. See http://www.vatsim-uk.org for more details.

The ATC procecdures are as realistic as the environment allows.

Cheers
Mark

Rupert S
4th Oct 2003, 19:18
i know how you feel - i had to switch instructors recently - already being more than proficient on the radio - and the nerve of the new guy, he wouldn't let me get a word in edge ways! So I told him that if he didn't let me make the next call, i'd extend the flaps above Vfe - seemed to work :}

Arclite01
4th Oct 2003, 19:21
I found the RT quite hard at first - particularly if you have a high cockpit workload as well. A few things though:

1. You only get better with practice - your instructor should let you try to make all the calls from start up to shut down. The tower will allow you to make odd calls to let you gain experience

2. Most calls are 'standard' you will only use these on a regular basis so get them off pat and your workload will diminish

3. If you get confused then declare yourself to the controller as a student pilot - they will be more receptive then and other users on frequency will listen in and enjoy the fun

4. I went across to the tower and spoke with ATC - they gave me some useful pointers and it's good to see it from their angle. I mean real ATC here not just FISO guys (who do a good job - no offence meant)

5. I think you must be capable of making the basic calls before you solo - otherwise your instructor is not doing his/her job.

6. You should ask to meet the examiner for your RT test and ask them what they are expecting in terms of capability - you might find they can give you some 1-2-1 time and wrap it up nicely

7. My RT is by no means brilliant but when you listen to some of the others on frequency I think I sound almost professional by comparison !!! - you'll probably find the same !!

Hope you get this sorted out

cheers

Arc

flyingfemme
4th Oct 2003, 20:47
Welshflyer - you can't be ready to solo if you cannot do the radio work comfortably!

Bring up the subject BEFORE you next get into the aircraft together. Time to practice the "command manner":ok:

WelshFlyer
5th Oct 2003, 06:08
Thanks for all this advice! My instructor is, to be quite honest, Bloody fantastic, he is very experienced and he'd be my first choice instructor if I had to choose from any of the instructors iv'e flown with. Except for the R/T.

I'm going flying with him tomorrow, and I'll have a little word with him before we get airborn. And if that dosen't work I'll mention that trick with the flaps!:)

WF.

Whirlybird
5th Oct 2003, 16:19
WelshFlyer,

Why not just say: "I just wondered if I could start using the radio now; I'd really like to", and take it from there.

Have a good day. :ok:

Thumpango
6th Oct 2003, 16:27
My experience has been exactly the opposite! All my instructors have encouraged me to do all the calls, giving me a quick brief before opening the PTT. Only problem comes when the reply is slightly non standard and not what I was expecting, then the stumbles and errs kick in!
Ask your instructor to let you do the radio, he will soon jump in if it isn't going well- good luck!

Spikeee
6th Oct 2003, 20:22
I did a lot of the RT throughout – I stumbled over my words so much at first and thought I’d never get it right. With a bit of practice and confidence it isn’t too bad.

I used to (and still do) go through the entire flight in my mind thinking about what call will happen where. It just helps being a little more prepared.

Lol Rupert S thats a little harsh, surprised it worked though!

WelshFlyer
6th Oct 2003, 23:49
I went flying yesterday, and made two R/T calls. (Circuit R/T) No ATC Calls though. I'm reading the R/T manuals to improve my R/T knowedge. I'm probably going to go flying at Caernarfon EGCK with one of there instructors who are all advocates of students doing all the R/T, bit of a "crash course" in aviation R/T. 'Scuse the joke!

WF.