PDA

View Full Version : OOS Registrations

Hairyplane
3rd Oct 2003, 17:39
There are some real belters out there - mine included.

Can anybody explain to me why it is not possible to transfer a 'personal' registration from one aircraft to another?

When an aircraft is sold, and the new owner doesn't want the existing reg - it is cancelled and the aircraft re-registered.

Unfortunately, the original reg is lost forever.

Mine is particularly relevant to my business. To lose it is unthinkable.

I would otherwise consider buying new again in 05 - my aircraft will then be 5 years old.

THe light aircraft industry is not brilliant at the moment - the ability to transfer registrations will surely stimulate the industry - to the extent of exisitng owners at least.

Mine is a clear case.

What about resurrecting those lost too?

I well remember G-SPOT - long lost folowing the demise of the Partenavias Spotter that wore it.

I would have though that an increase in registration fees from the current £200 would be quite acceptable in such cases, thus paying for the additional admin.

Any views?

HP

stiknruda
3rd Oct 2003, 17:43
Hairy,

I agree the whole thing is daft, however:

Alternatives:

G-RUGZ
G-BALD
G-SIRP
G-WIGZ
G-XTND
G-AFRO

Will be at Leics tomorrow. You around?

Stik

Flyin'Dutch'
3rd Oct 2003, 18:29
Happy to share my view (agree with you) but that is not going to help you!

What is the reason behind this ruling?

Have you contacted AOPA about this?

FD

treadigraph
3rd Oct 2003, 19:52
I agree, it is daft - re-use of reggies happend in many other countries... Germany, USA and Belgium for example.

Man-on-the-fence
3rd Oct 2003, 21:02
I seem to remember that JCB the excavator company managed it with an HS125 once (mid 80's?)
I think they traded up from a -600 to a -700 and the reg stayed the same. G-OJCB or something like that.

edit

Just checked the CAA database and it was G-TJCB a -700 exported to Denmark in 85, there is no mention of the other 125, however I really do remember something in Aviation news, it even has a picture of the two aircraft I think.

BlueRobin
3rd Oct 2003, 23:51
G-XTNS ?

Peter - it's a shame though. All I can think of is blagging a callsign to use in place of non-transferable reggies e.g. Hairy-1.

Neil

Flap40
4th Oct 2003, 00:37
Man-on-the-fence,

Right company, Wrong reg. Look again at G-BJCB.

Man-on-the-fence
4th Oct 2003, 01:05
Thanks Flap, I thought I was going mad for a minute.

Ok then, how did they do it. Other than being practically the same type of airplane, I cant see anything obvious.

Flap40
4th Oct 2003, 03:22
I think that that was the problem - same type of aeroplane.

I could be wrong but I think that they got G-BJCB as a reg in the standard alphapetical run and then managed to keep it with the next airframe. When the CAA realised the nightmare that it could create in paperwork, having two airframes of the same type with similar frame numbers, it was decreed that each reg would only ever apply to one airframe. As a sweetener OOS registrations were then allowed.

I suppose it begs the question as to how they manage in USA, Germany etc???

I remember reading that a bloke in the states managed to sell a decrepit old aircraft, for a vast sum of money, to a certain company purely on the basis of its reg - N1KE:)

Man-on-the-fence
4th Oct 2003, 04:06
Thanks Flap that explains a lot, although the re-registration came about after the introduction of OOS Registrations, the first of which was, I believe, a Concord. G-BSST in 1969.

Anyway, that was then. Now we have computers and databases and things, which have superseded pen and paper and allow us to keep track of multiple use of registrations. I could do it with an excel spreadsheet for gods sake :rolleyes: (they will of course need to re-invent the wheel to do this, instead of just buying the same system the Yanks use)

But that would be progress now wouldnt it. And in the great portals of Government that cannot happen.

HP
Have you ever tried asking someone at the CAA if they would let you do it, and if not why not? (oops silly me, you need a reply before 2005, you should have done this last year).

surely not
4th Oct 2003, 04:51
Wasn't G-AWOG owned by Prince William of Gloucester the first out of sequence registration in UK?

Zlin526
4th Oct 2003, 16:55
Times were strange....

Before the late 70's, the Air Registration Board as it was then never allowed registrations ending in 'VD or 'WC just in case they offended somebody.

Oooooh matron, it makes me come over all hot and bothered thinking about G-BGWC.

vintage ATCO
5th Oct 2003, 01:29
The first out of sequence registration was probably G-ATEL Aviation Traders ATL.90 Accountant. It was registered on 30.08.57. Other G-AT-- registrations were not allocated until 1965.

G-ANBG Bristol Britannia was re-registered G-APLL after Churchill commented it was probably 'No Bloody Good!'

VA

IO540
5th Oct 2003, 02:03
G-BOLX is a good one too, god knows how that one got through the CAA. The story I heard (absolutely no idea if it's true) is that the CAA wanted it back afterwards but the owner refused.

surely not
5th Oct 2003, 04:29
Seen at ESH this afternoon G-BOTI.......I hope it doesn't burp!
I think I'm right that G-BOLX still resides at ESH as well, such a rude airfield!!

BRL
5th Oct 2003, 04:52
I have in my log-book G-BOTN.

(which looks like botm........... from a distance............ I think..........) :bored:

treadigraph
5th Oct 2003, 15:41
Years ago there was a Cessna 421 registered G-ONAD. Seems the CAA registrations people didn't read Viz...

Fly Stimulator
5th Oct 2003, 16:05
One of my favourites is an Irish one: EI-EIO

surely not
5th Oct 2003, 16:13
FS I seem to remember that was registered to 'McDonalds Farms for a while :D :ok:

ozplane
5th Oct 2003, 18:51
I think you will find that the first out of sequence reg was the D.H.Moth G-EDCA which was owned by the DIRECTORATE OF CIVIL AVIATION and flown by Sir Sefton Branckner(?). This was later replaced by another Moth, a DH 60X which used the SAME registration !!! Bet the CAA don't want anybody to remember that one. This was in the time of the quill pen as well circa 1928/30. Does that give anybody some ammo for a discussion or am I just a sad old anorak?