PDA

View Full Version : Any pilot job in Canada?

balicpl
2nd Oct 2003, 23:59
Hi everybody,

I'm moving to Canada next spring with permanent residence permit.

I have CPL, 300 tt and IFR rating.
I would do any kind of flight job.

What are your recommendations for me to get a job as quick as possible?

Thanks in advance.

flyer75
4th Oct 2003, 20:58
My dear,

Not to ruin your day but with an Atpl and 2500 hours ,when I visited Canada,I could barely apply to be an F/o in a cessna Caravan...The requirements for flight crews concerning Flight hours were extremely high 2 years ago...much much more thanin the states..try the USA instead if you can..
Hope youll get some thing soon.

Tailwinds,

flyer75

JBI
4th Oct 2003, 23:10
Unfortunately you're not going to walk right into a flying job. Your two options are either to go get an instructor rating and try and find a job instructing, or to move to a remote town and try and get a job loading planes for a smaller airline that after a year or two will give you a co-pilot's spot.

Good Luck

Always Moving
14th Oct 2003, 05:17
I have 3000TT 700muti (300 in C-401)
and I just got my ATP converted and I have not wlak into a job, I have been sending CV for about a week and walking thru the airports and leaving CV everywhere. So with that time I would suggest the instructor route, It is a good way to learn a lot, but for me will be a step back.
ANY ONE ANY SUGGESTIONS?
And I would love a FO caravan job!

rotornut
25th Oct 2003, 01:21
How about rotary wing? Anyone have any idea what it takes to get a job as a chopper pilot in Canada?

İhris
14th Nov 2003, 12:15
Check out Voyageur Air in NorthBay, Ontario. They dont often advertise positions, but they did just recently hire two pilots.

themulleye
16th Nov 2003, 07:15
balicpl

You best bet is to head up North, apply to places that have no roads into them and are based in Sh*t hole communities. From my own experience these places have very high movement since anyone who spends more then a year there wants out.

I went up north and it has done nothing but good things for me, the flying is challenging and movement within companies is steady (no matter how bad people say the industry is).

PS. With only 300hrs expect to spend a year on the ramp (It will be worth it though)

THE MULLEYE :ok:

IMC99
17th Nov 2003, 00:22
Just so you know I used to work at Voyageur and was hired with over 2000 hours and 500 multi. That was a little more than others, but they don't really hire low timer's at all.

Good luck.

** Edit - Sorry just read about the 3000 hour guy. Thought we were still talking about the lowtimer. Good luck.

Hardeep
17th Nov 2003, 07:33
Don't give up....I've seen guys get jobs banner towing and bush flying with 250 TT and 30 Multi... Jobs may be hard to find but I'm sure you'll make it... Never give up...Even though we all hear discouraging words from people who have 3000 TT and ATPL's...

ipanema
24th Nov 2003, 01:20
Canadian Aviation Employment Community

Please let me emphasise up front that this is a FREE resource for CANADIAN jobs in CANADA - trying to encourage employment in aviation at all levels in this country (not just for pilots and/or engineers).

At this point it has been running for about a year, and both the indicated hit rates and the server logs tell me it is a success and is becoming well known across Canada. There are no charges for posting jobs or resumes, but I do offer flexible ancillary services (see below) and at some point will accept advertising to pay for expenses.

This is a FREE Canadian-only Aviation Employment Community Resource, where all levels of aviation professionals and employees are encouraged to post their vacancies and resumes.

- FREE of charge (yes, seriously!!)
- Self-service: YOU decide what is posted!
- Targeted at Canadians everywhere
- Monitored daily for garbage!
- On-line worldwide, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Responses come direct to your specified address
- Hit counter on every post = quantifiable performance!
- Directed at ALL airline and aviation-related employees
(NOT ONLY PILOTS >> ALL RELATED SKILLS & INDUSTRIES)
- Existing searchable resumes - all aviation skills/trades
- Well-visited - check the hits and see for yourself!

- Services available for a reasonable fee - what do you need?
- Anonymous mail boxes (HotMail-like browser interface)
- Anonymous mail forwarding (to your specified email address)
- Electronic resume handling / sorting
- Web page tailored to your needs (eg: formatted responses?)

Here are the URLs of those resources:

Employers' posts (vacancies):
http://www.bloorstreetwest.com/employment/offers/index.html

Job Seekers' posts (searchable resumes):
http://www.bloorstreetwest.com/employment/seekers/index.html

Additional services page (site revenue and services):
http://www.bloorstreetwest.com/employment/avextras.shtml

Good luck, and please pass the word on - the more users there are - on both sides of the fence - the more jobs will be filled and the more formerly-unemployed will be working in jobs they trained for and appreciate.

Good luck!!

JJ

skidcanuck
26th Nov 2003, 11:26
Jobs in Canada - ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

:D

criticalmac
8th Dec 2003, 08:36
Be ready to prostitute yourself as needed. :sad:

Rosbif
11th Dec 2003, 02:29
6000+ hrs 1500 heavy widebody experience. unemployed. I can buy a job at C 30 000 (jetsgo) or leave the country. As one poster on the middle East forum said "will the last pilot leaving Canada please turn out the lights".
When the government decides to give us a real decision on AC and stops moving the goalposts around on foreign ownership, maybe some other players will emerge. Don't hold your breath.
I'm outa here. Bye.

Mikey21
15th Dec 2003, 08:30
If you want to fly caravan,
I suggest Air Georgian , they are based in YYZ toronto.
But you may have too much time!
They just finished giving interviews last week, but i know there will be more movement, in the coming month, so send your resume.

Great job, you fly scheduled run, week-end are off, and after 6 months you will get travel benefits.

there are also some other operator around,
try wasaya, thunder airline based in thunder bay.
Also a few more.
You can get a listing of the company in canadA, ON
www.pilotinterviews.com

industry seems to be picking up a bit.
if you have low time, get your instructor rating and build up some PIC.
chao

CaptStar
17th Dec 2003, 01:42
Air Georgian wants 1,000h for the Caravan.

CaptStar
18th Dec 2003, 03:30
This is the reply from Air Georgian:

>>>
I have recently received a copy of your resume and I would like to thank you
for expressing interest in employment with Air Georgian.

However, our minimum requirements for an entry level position, Cargo Loader
on the Cessna Caravan 208 is 1000 hours, as well as a Commercial Class 1 IFR.

Please do not hesitate to send an updated resume once you have achieved the
requirements stated above.
<<<

How much does an IFR rating cost?
SE: around C$ 6,400
ME: around C$ 9,000

604guy
18th Dec 2003, 20:13
A "PPC" is tied to your employeer and while yes they can be transportable it requires the blessing of TC. Remember, part of the PPC ride is knowledge of company Ops Manual, SOPs etc.

Rosbif
19th Dec 2003, 09:15
Flyajet guy: Try again at Georgian and let then know about the float time. One of their caravans goes on floats in the summer and they can never find anyone with float time to fly it. You will, of course need an IFR ticket to get a job anywhere, especially there. Winter is hardcore IFR with ice. No such thing as soft IFR. The Van is a pussycat. Great machine, just don't hang around in the ice for too long.

Midnight Mike
1st Jan 2004, 07:00
What about JetsGo? Don't they hire low time pilots?

Rosbif
5th Jan 2004, 08:29
You can buy a job there for cdn$30 000. A lot of Georgian types got sick of waiting for a real job, so took off for Jetsgo. Some went captain in 2 Months !! That is why there are vacancies at Georgian.
Good luck.

ODGUY
10th Jan 2004, 22:26
2 months? anything to do with the tail strikes?

Rosbif
12th Jan 2004, 21:41
Do 'Buckets ' count as 'tail' ?:sad:

Alta
17th Jan 2004, 01:23
How do you buy a job at jetsgo for 30G's?

Mikey21
17th Jan 2004, 06:03
You still need at least 2 to 3000 hrs to get on with Jetsgo.
How do you get in!!!!!

You swipe your visa card, and if it is a gold you get to the top of the seniority in your ground school!

Yes Georgian want 1000 hrs for the van, they can pick and chose being in TO.

It is a good job.

With less than 1000 , 1500 it is hard to get a job in canada, unless you have some twin time.

Some even want 500 hrs , for you to sweep hangars.

Alta
17th Jan 2004, 06:18
What about the states? Any jobs down there for low time guys?

bcflyer
18th Jan 2004, 01:23
Unless you have a green card and a FAA license I don't think you'll have much luck looking south of the border.

Alta
18th Jan 2004, 01:27
How bout if I do have a green card?

sony
18th Jan 2004, 02:00
If you do have a green card, the company I work for is hiring 40 a month. 2 classes of 20 a month. The equipment is the CRJ. Minimum requirement is 1500 TT, 300 multi.

If you are interested. PM me.