PDA

View Full Version : Another A320 Q. Cost Index/ engine out.

CaptSensible
11th Dec 2000, 05:23
So you lose an engine on take-off. Can't land at departure field due ?? (whatever).

You must divert to your 'take-off alternate'.

Would you alter the cost index en-route?

quid
11th Dec 2000, 10:17
Would you ever run into a situation where that would make any difference?

The FARs say you must land at the nearest suitable airport in point of "time". That's not necessarily your takeoff alternate. You may very well have to get rid of fuel rather than trying to save it.

Even if it was close to one hour away, with single engine climb to altitude and all the other stuff you'd be doing, I doubt you'd be at altitude long enough for it to make any difference.

------------------

gal
16th Dec 2000, 00:58
If You lost the engine on t/o, the worst case scenario,fuel burn could be up to 40% higher due slow clb and lower cruise altitude.We had this discussion at an intro-to command session and it raised a few eyebrows. If the departure airport is unsuitable for return, our rule of thumb is the T/O alternate must be 1/2 the distance of the total flyable miles on the flt plan.

coyoteugly
20th Dec 2000, 06:35
The original question refering to Cost Index altering due to engine out.

I could not find anything specific to that Question. However our company FOM states that you must have an ALt. Airport within 60 minutes at the one engine inop. cruise speed. (approx. within 340nm, A320)

Refer. to the QRH IN-Flight Perf section, EO. long range cruise. This gives target N1,Mach, FF, IAS. for given FL,WT,ISA.....

Also the company SOP states. Econ cruise (normal ops) is a variable speed dependent upon the cost index chosen for the flight.

My guess: in order to meet the QRH specs. to be as acurate as posible this would be have to be flown in selected SPEED/MACH.
Under extreme conditions (ie very strong head or tailwind conditions) the Bus will change its speed/Mach to what it calculates for the given cost index for the flight conditions.
(wind and all the other variables. I am not sure if this is the same for Engine Out though)

When an engine is failed, you will get an EO clear prompt. if this is not cleared; fuel predictions for EO are available on the appropriate page. So if its critical, I would look there first then the QRH and fly selected SPEED/MACH. Therefore you know what your getting..
Hope that made some sence..

Rob