PDA

View Full Version : Accepted Rules of the Air

max lenz
19th Jan 2001, 21:47
A pilot has to act according to orders by his chief AND above.
While about orders or expectations of a superior there is seldom anything unclear it seems to be allmost impossible to find out more about above subject so you get in trouble when you think your boss is acting against "accepted rules of the air".
Because I think this pprune forum is a superbe opportunity to work on a few of those rules I will start a few of my "babies" under new subjects and hope they are not too boring for you!

However I´m still interested in hearing of YOUR source of broadly accepted rules...

NIMBUS
20th Jan 2001, 00:06
Hi Max,
The 'broadly accepted rules'for a pilot should be the AIM or similar. However, the 'superiors' sometimes base their rules on what makes the most profit.

max lenz
20th Jan 2001, 20:05
Hi Nimbus
I am flying for the second Company on F100 and eventhough both AOMs are based on the Fokker manual there seems to be a lot of room for interpretation by the makers of Company manuals.
But then: Is the Fokker Manual standing for these rules?
When I browse through the discussions in this section I come to the conclusion:
Based on these valuable inputs it should be possible to concentrate them and start a pilot generated and public database with these "accepted rules of the air"...
Max

411A
20th Jan 2001, 21:58
Interesting subject. When I was with SQ years ago on the B707, the AOM was straight Boeing with an SQ label on the front cover. Of course it was a relativly small company then (16 aircraft). As companies develop and add more aircraft, management "adjusts" the manual for their operation, often every time a new Chief Pilot takes office. This CAN be quite a big problem in the long run. IMHO, the procedures offered my the manufacturer should be followed if at all possible. After all, they DESIGNED it.

NIMBUS
21st Jan 2001, 05:18
max,
I could be losing the plot a little bit here!

I think theres a little difference between rules of the air vs management expectations, and the aircraft manuals.

As far as A/C operating manuals are concerned, on the FAA side, at least, any company holding an operating certificate must have all manuals, procedures, etc, detailed in the company operations specifications.
This document varies from company to company, and is approved/disapproved by the FAA based on company history, type of operation, equipment, facilities, personnel, etc.

The operator normally uses the manufacturers manual as a guide for their aircraft, and modifys to suit their needs. The outcome is that whatever rules, etc, contained in the particular company Ops Specs becomes law, despite what may or may not be in the original handbook. As I said, this will vary from company to company!
Generally not a problem, because straying too far from the manufacturers ideas will mean the FAA will not approve!

The accepted 'rules of the air', on the other hand, are just normal procedures used by everyone who flies, not only laws, but also general 'customs' developed over time.

I thought you were referring to issues like duty time, rest periods, etc. Often, for logistical reasons, the company will push the crew to fly one more leg, or a few extra hours, beyond the customary or mandated duty time. This is where the crew are caught out!
Refusing can shorten their employment prospects with that company, but agreeing, and flying the extra, can get them in trouble if anything goes wrong!