PDA

View Full Version : What about this bash then?

Penguina
30th Sep 2003, 20:02
Hello all,

I seem to remember a plan to meet on the 18th October at the Founders Arms on the South Bank until we got kicked out and then move on to Doggetts.

Think boats came into it somewhere too.

I've been asked to resurrect this plan - I'm still up for it! :D

Weather will probably be terrible for flying and we'll need cheering up! So how about it?

Penguina

FlyingForFun
30th Sep 2003, 20:18
LB - I always was up for it, and I still am :ok:

FFF
---------------

BRL
30th Sep 2003, 23:34
Great idea. Its the day after payday so you may even get a pressie...!!!! :ooh:

Tall_guy_in_a_152
1st Oct 2003, 20:41
The bash has been in my diary since the original thread(http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99708&perpage=20&highlight=bash&pagenumber=2).

I am deffo still on for it.

TG.

Penguina
1st Oct 2003, 20:55
Excellent! :D :D :D

I don't know, over 90 views and only 3 replies - what a bunch of wusses! Obviously scared they can't keep the pace! :p

BlueRobin
1st Oct 2003, 23:52
You want to know why? it's flammin London innit! :p

Penguina
2nd Oct 2003, 00:06
What, you mean there are other places you can live? :confused: ;)

Keef
2nd Oct 2003, 02:26
Yes, I know. I would come, but I'll be far far away celebrating a certain milestone birthday. Like I said, I'll sip a few glasses of pink champagne and think of you all sitting by the river in the pouring rain.

TheKentishFledgling
2nd Oct 2003, 02:52
Should be there again.

tKF

BRL
2nd Oct 2003, 02:58
We will knock a few glasses together to help you celebrate your 50th Keef ...... ;)

Saab Dastard
2nd Oct 2003, 04:04
I'm intending to come along - "nothing known to affect" at this stage.

Cheers

SD

Keef
3rd Oct 2003, 05:42
50th. Sigh. Those were the days :(

PS: tKF - make sure BRL is left holding the kitty (all 2p of it) or there will be aerobatic demichaelisation summat rotten.

Flyin'Dutch'
3rd Oct 2003, 06:12
Ah Keef, all these things are relative.

Every milestone has its merits. At least you can not do a James Dean!

:}

Happy Birthday mate!

FD

trevs99uk
3rd Oct 2003, 15:52
Now we come to the EASA debate.
Now that JAR/JAA will be taken over by EASA.
EASA being european law and therefore over rules
any ANO/CAA ruling. This may change things.

Flyin'Dutch'
3rd Oct 2003, 17:19
T,

You are undoubtebly correct. But I fail to see what impact this will have on the intended pi$$up or Keef's birthday.

:O

FD

FlyingForFun
3rd Oct 2003, 17:24
FD - that's two posts by you on this thread now. But you still haven't said whether you're actually coming along or not? So will we see you there?

Keef - happy birthday, we'll be having a drink for you! (And don't forget that the bash was originally billed as Penguina's birthday bash too - her birthday is the week before, but she will be staying relatively sober on the day as she'll be at the Caenarfon fly-in, and will need to make up for it the next weekend!)

FFF
-----------

Keef
3rd Oct 2003, 17:34
Thanks, FD! Look after the sky for me while I'm on holiday, will you?

Maybe EASA is starting in Hungary? I'll look out for a bloke in a suit while I'm supping my champagne in Keszthely.

Penguina - have a good one! Enjoy the scenery round Caernarfon when you go there. Great place to fly!

FFF - you can never tell with FD. He turns up in all sorts of places and in all sorts of aircraft. I've met him on many an apron in my time... and in the odd pub.

Flyin'Dutch'
3rd Oct 2003, 18:25
FFF,

Unfortunately unlikely to get a pass for the 18th but hope to make it to Caernarfon.

Have aeroplane and a few Dutch mates coming over so only 2 Ws left that can throw us of course!

Appreciate that most of these bashes gravitate towards London but it makes it a bit more difficult for those living in the Midlands to attend.

Believe me it is not for lack of desire!

FD

iainpoll
4th Oct 2003, 02:23
Not looking good for me I'm afraid.

:mad: :mad: exams :mad: :mad:

Have a good one, and a very happy birthday Penguina and Keef :ok:

paulo
5th Oct 2003, 01:21
I'll be there. Shepherding people towards the boat at some point, if everyone's still up for it. :ok:

BRL
5th Oct 2003, 05:00
Ok, how about meeting up at about 1pm onwards with a view to going on the boat about 3-30/4 and having a bite to eat when we get off........?

Penguinetta
7th Oct 2003, 20:25
Hello,

Message from Penguina - due to temporary uncertainty of position of scrap of paper that she wrote her password on, her birthday bash will have to be cancelled. However, luckily, I am a very good friend of hers and I also have a birthday on Saturday, so I will be attending in her place.

:O

I think the timetable proposed by BRL looks pretty good.

See you soon,

Penguinetta

BRL
7th Oct 2003, 20:33
P'getta...... TRY THIS (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?s=&action=lostpw) See you soon......
P.E.

Penguina
10th Oct 2003, 00:07
After only a little faffing around, I'm back! :) Wouldn't want Penguinetta to steal my thunder now...

TheKentishFledgling
14th Oct 2003, 00:49
Bol!ocks, I'm no longer able to make it :(

I'd got the date's of a good friend's birthday confused, and it's this weekend, so looks like I've got to go out on the lash with him - what a shame! ;)

Have a good one,
tKF

FlyingForFun
14th Oct 2003, 17:03
tKF - bring him along! ;)

FFF
---------------

BRL
14th Oct 2003, 23:44
I am going to see David Blane at about 1230, then walk around to the pub if anyone is around. then.

Tall_guy_in_a_152
16th Oct 2003, 21:29
For those attending the bash and who have seen Whirlybird's charity thread, BRL has confirmed that he will be heading vaguely in that direction later in the year (Wales, not the Gobi desert) and is willing to deliver any old charts and stuff that we can collect on Saturday (subject to him being able to stagger home with it afterwards).

I would have thought that anyone who has been flying for more than a year or two will have something that is no longer useful to them?

You're not STILL using that 2001 chart are you?:eek:

See you on Sat,

TG

FlyingForFun
16th Oct 2003, 21:39
Looking up and down this thread, it seems to be mainly the old regulars who are coming along on Saturday, which is fine.

But if any newbies are thinking of joining us, but worried you won't recognise us, feel free to drop me a PM or e-mail, and I'll send you my mobile number. :ok:

(Having said that, I may be a little late myself since I have someone coming "some time in the morning" to measure my flat for some new carpets - but I will be there soon after lunch-time.)

FFF
-----------

BRL
16th Oct 2003, 22:30
New carpets.!!!!!!!!!! Don't be silly.....Sand the floors then varnish them.....easier to clean and looks great too...... :D

Penguina
16th Oct 2003, 23:59
I'll be there at 1ish, if anyone wants the mobile, PM me.

FFF - my experience of pulling up carpets and varnishing says 'GET NEW CARPETS'. Of course, I'd spend it on flying, but that's just me...

FlyingForFun
17th Oct 2003, 00:05
BRL - floors are concrete. You Scousers may sand+varnish your concrete, but us southerners prefer not to!

Penguina's suggestion of spending the money on flying sounds good - I might do that if they quote me silly money for the carpet!

What time is Paulo planning on shoveling us onto the boat? I'd hate to be left on the river bank watching you all sail away into the distance...

FFF
-------------

Penguina
17th Oct 2003, 00:20
How did you know about that plan? :)

paulo
17th Oct 2003, 06:05
Aaarrgh! I've been sent to Helsinki! So I'm not going to be there. :(

BUT, the boat still runs!

From Bankside, opposite the Tate Modern...

Just get yourselves down to the pier 5 mins before. Knowing these affairs, someone better start hustling 10 min ahead. The pier at that end is a decieving zig-zag that adds a minute or two.

Don't try and buy a ticket from the booth at the top, just get on the boat and pay there. It's 4.50 for unlimited trips on the day.

Once on board, if you really want to get the full petrol-head experience, go through the doors at the rear of the boat to the rear deck. There's seats for 20 or so out in the breeze, just behind those monster turbo diesels...

The full speed bit is brief :{ due to the nature of the Thames in town, but fab. nonetheless. Bring waterskis if you like :cool:

At the other end you can either simply stay on board for the return, or if you fancy a beer (check your return boat times!) head left, west along the embankment - there's a pub a few minutes walk on the right hand side.

Have a fab time Saturday. I look forward to the PIREPs!

BRL
17th Oct 2003, 06:13
Sorry FFF, we sand everything in Liverpool. Even the window cleaner has a sander in some areas..... ;) :D

Terrible shame Paulo that you can't make it. :( We will blame you for anything that goes wrong...!!!!

How about we get the 1520 boat, jump off and have a pint at the other end and wander back through town.....?

Saab Dastard
18th Oct 2003, 05:59
FFF said

it seems to be mainly the old regulars who are coming along on Saturday,

Well - regular I may be (Thinks - thanks to MUESLI) but old?

Purlease!

If I can shake off this cold that has been dogging me since last weekend (just as well I didn't go to Caernarfon on Saturday, 'cos I felt CR*P on Sunday) I'll see you all somewhere.

Is the Founders Arms the one at the side of Blackfriars Bridge? or is that Doggetts?

I've got some mobile phone numbers - FFF and Penguina (or twin sister Penguinetta - that sounds like a chocolate biscuit ice cream).

Have a nice day.

Reading through that it looks mad. Oh what the hell it's Friday night and I may have had a tincture or twain. :O

SD

BRL
18th Oct 2003, 06:10
Saab Borrox to your cold and get out and about, it will do you good. :D
The Founders is next to the Tate modern. Hope to see you there.

Saab Dastard
18th Oct 2003, 18:22
Thanks, BRL -

I'll aim to join you all at about 16:30 for drinks - and food? - assuming that you are still relatively vertical by then.

So I'll call one of you on the way to see where you are.

Cheers

SD

BRL
19th Oct 2003, 10:23
Just got in. Note the time.!!!!!!!!! Crap journey home...... Excellent day/night though, loved it. Will write more later...:ouch:

Penguina
19th Oct 2003, 17:53
Damn trains, eh?

Saab Dastard
19th Oct 2003, 21:22
Lies, Damned lies and Railway Timetables, eh?

;)

SD

Tall_guy_in_a_152
20th Oct 2003, 05:57
A fine day out indeed. I was home by just after midnight, despite a 'missing' train that delayed me. I must confess to a rather sore head (and dicky tummy) this morning. Always the sign of a good night before.

There was a proliferation of picture taking so I will post a select few of mine to start the ball rolling ....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/simon.holder/pprune bash 001.jpg
Penguina ponders what she has let herself in for, shortly before throwing her pint over the table ...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/simon.holder/pprune bash 003.jpg
Saab "they aren't with me", BRL, Smurph, FFF and Penguina on the jetty
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/simon.holder/pprune bash 005.jpg
The catamaran we planned to ride. Unfortunately it had just finished for the day :{
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/simon.holder/pprune bash 011.jpg
We ended up on more conventional river transport for a few minutes. BRL blagged us onto the bridge ....
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/simon.holder/pprune bash 012.jpg
Off to Chinatown for a mad meal.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/simon.holder/pprune bash 013.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/simon.holder/pprune bash 015.jpg

That's all for now.

See you all again soon, for more of the same :ok:

TallGuy.

FlyingForFun
20th Oct 2003, 17:33
Nice pics, TallGuy! Haven't got mine on-line yet, but they don't really add very much.

I was the first one to arrive, surprisingly, since I was a little late. But I hadn't even finished ordering my pint when BRL turned up, shortly followed by TallGuy, and Penguina and Smurph (who were delayed because they had to take their shopping home first :rolleyes: :D)

As we drank, we started to plan the day. It wasn't much of a plan, but it involved following Paulo's original plan of getting on a boat at some point in the afternoon. Then Saab called, and told us he'd be joining us in about an hour. So we changed the plan, and decided to wait for Saab before getting on the boat.

We did our best to be noisy, obnoxious and foul-mouthed in the mean time. We managed to get a few glares from some of our fellow drinkers who had come out for a quiet pint by the river. Then Saab turned up to help us in our mission. But despite that, and despite Penguina spilling her pint all over the table, we left the Founders Arms several hours after we arrived, completely voluntarilly. Where's Grim Reaper 14 got to - Grim, we need you, we can't get ourselves kicked out of the pub without you!!!

As we arrived on the jetty, the boat pulled up, and we were told that there would be no more trips that day. Damn! But then another boat arrived, so we got on that one instead. It turned out to be a much more tame journey than the catamaran we'd planned on riding on, but we had some good commentary all the way up to the London Eye, and then across the river to Embankment.

But there was no sign of BRL or Saab :eek:

The chances of BRL falling overboard without causing a large enough splash to get some attention were pretty small, so I wasn't really that worried. And, sure enough, a few minutes later they were back on deck, ushering us towards the back of the boat, where they'd arranged a "cockpit visit" for us. We watched as the pilot skillfully brought us in to embankment peer, asked lots of questions, and probably made a complete nuisance of ourselves, but it was fascinating. We followed the visit with a debate on whether it was easier or harder than landing a plane. Much more precise, was the conclusion, but much slower too - so difficult, but in a different way to our own landings.

We were closer to being successful at getting thrown out of the next pub, but that was only because we sat ourselves down in the restaurant area, and were warned that we'd have to leave if the tables were needed by diners. Well, diners turned up, and we re-arranged ourselves to as to only be in their way a little bit. But all this talk of food was making Saab hungry, and he led us into Chinatown for a meal.

Excellent food. Pity about the service. Smurph had finished his main course before the rest of us had been given our starters. I think we ended up missing a couple of starters and a soup or two. And I'm not sure whose soup I had, but I know that Saab had mine. Still, we washed it all down with a couple of beers, so it didn't really matter, and once the bill was settled we, erm, went to find more beer.

Smurph, who knows a good pub in every corner of London, let us down here, by leading us to somewhere which was selling beer that tasted old, and cheap nasty vodka that came out of a Smirnoff bottle but definitely wasn't Smirnoff. We stayed long enough to watch the couple sitting next to us almost start undressing each other, but by now we were too loud for our own good, and once they heard us sniggering they decided to move on, and we finished our drinks and headed to another pub until closing time.

All in all, an excellent day out. The bash was very tame by Private Flying standards, probably because there weren't as many of us as usual, but that made it a very pleasant, sociable day out. And there's talk of another one in December, to help Iainpoll celebrate finishing his exams, so watch this space!

FFF
-----------------

LowNSlow
20th Oct 2003, 20:46
Good pix and pirep chasps :ok: :ok:

Please make the next one sometime between 5th November and 2nd December so I can get there instead of being in Kazakh-bloody-stan :cool: :cool:

Penguina
21st Oct 2003, 00:30
Saab:

We are // extremely // sorry for this falsehood and any inconvenience it may have caused you.

Good pictures and a v. good day! When's the next one? Can we time it so we have the added pleasure of LowNSlow?

BRL
21st Oct 2003, 06:03
Some pictures of a very good day/night. Can't really add too much more to the above threads...............
Not happy with throwing her pint all over the place, she does her very best trying to get us kicked out...........
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/111_1151.JPG
The one and only.............
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/111_1153.JPG
Look everybody, here comes the fast ferry.............
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/111_1158.JPG
...........and err......there it goes, without us......!!!!
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/111_1160.JPG

So we had to put up with this.......................
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/111_1161.JPG
"I did it myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy........"
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/111_1165.JPG
This was taken in the pub that sells fake vodka and has its own "Live Show"......... ;)
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/111_1192.JPG
It was getting late by now and things were a bit blurred or was it just me..............

http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/112_1202.JPG
Nahhhh, think it was me.................. End of a great session.......
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/112_1208.JPG :ok:

LowNSlow
21st Oct 2003, 12:45
Nice pics BR L, seems like a few scoops were scooped :ok: :ok: If the camera hand was shaking that badly what were you doing with the other one?

Penguina / Penguinetta that table looked really nice. Did it taste better with salt & vinegar on it??????? Or were you demonstrating what light cirrus (salt) and acid rain (vinegar) could do to a cheap table????

Penguina
21st Oct 2003, 19:51
Great. Someone else who just doesn't appreciate Modern Art.

:D

Circuit Basher
21st Oct 2003, 20:11
No sea horse impressions, though, Penguina??!! :D

Tall_guy_in_a_152
21st Oct 2003, 20:47
CB

We were treated to a brief Sea Horse impression, but unfortunately I was too slow to capture the moment on film :(

Talking of which, I seem to remember someone (FFF?) filming a clip of BRL using chopsticks. That must deserve publication on pprune :E

TG.

FlyingForFun
21st Oct 2003, 20:55
Tall Guy,

Yes, I do have that - but unfortunately my web-site only allows me to publish photos, not movies. If anyone has any spare capacity on their web-site, I could e-mail you the file and then link to your site.....

(Will try to remember to check how big it is when I get home tonight. I think it's quite large - it does go on for several minutes, just because it was several minutes between me starting filming, and BRL getting the courage to move the chopsticks towards his lips for the inevitable finalle :eek: :D)

FFF
--------------

Tall_guy_in_a_152
21st Oct 2003, 21:09
I'm not sure if NTL will let me host video - I've never tried. If the file is smaller than say 5MB, then you could email it to me, assuming you have the technology at your end (dial-up would be too painful). I'll PM you my home email.

I can edit the vid for highlights if necesary ;)

FlyingForFun
23rd Oct 2003, 06:03
Small technical problems getting the video on-line, although I'm going to have a go, with some help from Tall Guy, at the weekend.

In the mean time, though, I got all the photos off my camera. And was quite surprised to find one which I'd forgotten that I'd taken. So, especially for Circuit Basher (and notice the furry one in the background, as well as the impression):

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/426768de/bc/Private+Flying+bash/__sr_/Seahorse.jpg?bcYAwl_Ab18UPjKd

(If that doesn't work, go to my website (http://photos.yahoo.co.uk/deandashwood), and into the Private Flying bash section, which is mainly photos from a previous bash, although you'll find the one photo in question right at the end of the second page.)

FFF
----------

Circuit Basher
23rd Oct 2003, 15:43
FFF - sorry, but neither of the links work.

The picture I had in mind was this one (http://uk.msnusers.com/brightonstuff/londonbash.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=110) from BRL.

FlyingForFun
23rd Oct 2003, 16:10
Circuit Basher,

I think Yahoo have had some problems with their photo albums recently, the site has been up and down, so keep trying. Unfortunately, my firewall at work has blocked me from the site completely, so I can't check it until I get home tonight.

<Strafer impersonation>

Personally, I think all of Yahoo's technical staff are probably from <insert random place that you want to insult the inhabitants of>, and that explains why it isn't working ;)

</Strafer impersonation>

Since you seem to be obsessed with seahorses, if you still can't get my link to work, drop me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you the photo. It's Penguina, in the same pose as that photo but side-on, and clutching onto a very fetching furry seahorse-shaped handbag :ok:

FFF
--------------

BRL
23rd Oct 2003, 17:19
FFF, if you want, you can add it to the page that the picture above is on and link to it there...............

As for this 'video'........... Hmmmmmmm............. I hope its not too painful to watch....... :suspect:

Penguina
25th Oct 2003, 00:40
FFF, me and the fluffy seahorse bag do actually charge a bit of a fee for appearing together, you know. Circuit Basher's apparent obsession with us looks to us like a good money-making opportunity... ;)

Saab Dastard
25th Oct 2003, 00:48
I don't know about seeing Penguina and her bag together, but I'd pay a lot to see Penguina and Penguinetta together.

Now that would be an achievement! :p

Cheers

SD

LowNSlow
25th Oct 2003, 12:03
Excellent sea horse impersonation Penguina , very convincing.

I take it that is was the Pinkster in the background??

BRL
26th Oct 2003, 07:03
Yes sir...................