PDA

View Full Version : Reporting Points - sneaking in through the back door!

EGCC Rwy 24
28th Sep 2003, 01:00
How can this be?

Each and every time, I look at the AIP section that talks about changes due in 28 days time. I read through it and pull out any references to reporting point changes.

As part of the reconstruction of my web site, I have "audited" everything on my site against the current AIP list. Somehow, these points:

ALOTI, BALGI, KOTEM, RUGER, TAGOX, TORGO

have all crept into the AIP without me noticing them. Have I just been slack in my reading, or is there somewhere else I should be looking in addition to the amendments section of the AIP?

Of course, there is also the ubiquitous question - does anyone admit to selecting the names ---- and how were they chosen?

Thanks,

Nick
Nick Locke's Reporting Points (http://www.ReportingPoints.info)

PS - NiteFlite, thanks for the prod!

Evo
28th Sep 2003, 01:45
Of course, there is also the ubiquitous question - does anyone admit to selecting the names ---- and how were they chosen?

Dunno, but as a Southern football fan can I put in a request for SAINT - can't just have POMPI up there... :rolleyes: :O :ok:

Bright-Ling
28th Sep 2003, 02:29
TAGOX...is the new RT Fail hold for Farnborough.

Farnbrough now owned by TAG Aviation and the hold is based on the OCKham radial between both places.

bagpuss lives
28th Sep 2003, 03:15
Glad to help mate ;)

It's always worth checking the Yellow AICs that are available on the AIS WWW site too as any large scale reorganisation (like that I've already tipped you off about *wink wink*) and any associated new reporting points will always be detailed there.

Other than that any other changes are notified as I'm sure you already know, in the 28 and 56 AIRACs.

Another noteworthy point is that some reporting points exist for ATC purposes only whilst others, like the ones close to EGCC (the ones that begin with X on the HON SID) are simply to mark a point on a SID or a procedure and will never ever be referred to by either ATC or flight crews. When these are created / amended / removed there may be no need for anyone to be externally notified other than the agency for which they were placed.

Incidentally I believe the naming of RUGER may have to do with a certain member of Liverpool ATC being a big rugby fan but I'm operating on rumour and here-say only there :)

As usual ;)

And I think I gave you the purposes of both RUGER and TORGO? If not lemme know and I'll fill you in.

EGCC Rwy 24
28th Sep 2003, 04:31
Thanks everyone for the responses. The site has now been updated with everything so far. While we are on a roll though, I have another question!!

There was an FMS Arrival Procedure Trial at Manchester a while back, involving BUSBI, ETLEY, MELOR and TRAFA. This no longer seems to be in the AIP, so I assume it has gone away. Anyone know the rough date?? I am also missing co-ordinates for all those points, and that is usually the best way to start working out how the names came about - does anyone have them? I can guess TRAFA might be Trafford, but not sure??????

I have also just found S12/2003 which relates to Trial P-RNAV Arrivals for Heathrow - the associated points for those will go on the site shortly.

Thanks for all your help so far - keep it coming!!

Nick

bagpuss lives
28th Sep 2003, 04:48
I'll find out about the date of the end of the FMS trial at EGCC for you early next week (I presume you mean the BMA (and a few others) one?) Nick but yes, you're right in thinking that it's "gone away".

I'll also try to drag the coordinates out for you but as it's now an expired procedure that maybe a little difficult, unless of course I have the SI or TOI hiding away in my locker somewhere (along with all of the other junk)

It's pretty obvious why and how the name BUSBI came about (the Ops Manager at EGCC is a massive United fan for one thing) and yes if I remember correctly (which I probably don't here - where's my buddy "cossack" when you need him most???!!!!) TRAFA was roughly situated quite close to the Trafford Centre.

cossack
28th Sep 2003, 08:07
Did someone call?
I'll dig deep into the past and see what I can do...
The FMS arrival trial was the "Airtours" one from a couple of years ago, wasn't it? The "DAYNE 1 FMS arrival, route direct MELOR" rings a distant bell!!!
BMi had a departure FMS trial on the Honiley SIDs when I left, that entailed an extra waypoint in the FMS which was not on the normal departure. I think this was being used to investigate improving the track-keeping around Knutsford.
MELOR - is/was near the village of Mellor in the High Peak.
ETLEY - abbreviated Tetley maybe? Then why not TETLI???? I have no idea to be honest!!!
TRAFA and BUSBI - I agree with niteflite's assumptions.

EGCC Rwy 24
28th Sep 2003, 19:27
You two are formidable!

Thanks both and, yes, if anyone does still have them, I'd appreciate the coordinates.

Cheers

Euroc5175
29th Sep 2003, 01:13
I believe that the Manchester FMS trial has been 'dormant' for a while. An ATSIN was issued by SRG that put a temporary stop to FMS/GPS/RNAV procedures in Terminal Airspace. The Heathrow P-RNAV trial is the first of the procedures to be approved by SRG subsequent to this ATSIN being issued.

The Heathrow P-RNAV procedures are only a trial. If the procedures are adopted on a permanent basis, then the waypoint names will probably change as there will be a requirement to get 5 letter pronounceable names from the ICAO Regional database.

Gone are the days when we could simply devise 5 letter names after our favourite teams, hobbies, wives, lovers, etc!

Euroc

cossack
29th Sep 2003, 02:40
Hey niteflite!
Clean up your PM mailbox, check your PPRuNe emails and you might get a reply!!!

bagpuss lives
29th Sep 2003, 02:42
Done - popularity does have its cost :D

So I'm told....

bagpuss lives
4th Oct 2003, 02:30
EGCC Rwy 24 - as promised :

FMS RNAV Arrival Trial RPs

August 2000

TRAFA - 53 21.6N 002 38.3W - just North of the village of Moore - south-west of Warrington

CCW12 - 53 17.2N 002 38.2W - North West of Acton Bridge

CCW91 - 53 15.8N 002 27.7W - just south of Lostock Gralam railway station and directly on the 8 mile final track for 06L

ETLEY - 53 09.4N 002 27.7W - in a village called Occlestone Green and just north of Park Hall (if I remember correctly there's a lovely walk around there somewhere)

CCS06 - 53 11.6N 002 18.8W - between Holmes Chapel and Congleton just north of the A54

MELOR - 53 26.2N 001 56.8W - Glossop town centre

CCE98 - 53 26.7N 002 05.2W - Hyde Town Centre and directly on the 8 mile final track for 24R

BUSBI - 53 32.4N 002 06.7W - slap bang in the middle of Oldham town centre.

Hope these help a bit :)