PDA

View Full Version : Any changes to upgrading AFI/FI (R) to FI?

engineoff
26th Sep 2003, 18:06
I am well aware of the process in upgrading an AFI/FI(R) rating to FI , however like many part-time freelance instructors am struggling to obtain the 25 supervised solo flights, due to lack of continuity with any one particular student.
I did contact the CAA some time ago hoping for a dispensation to allow an upgrade flight test with an FIE, however was told that with the implementation of JAR this was not possible.
I have however heard rumours that it was under consideration to reduce the number of student solos to 10 or 15.. I wonder if anyone else has heard anything about this matter?

DB6
27th Sep 2003, 01:40
Haven't heard anything about that and I would be surprised since there is a feeling amongst some of the more experienced instructors that the current requirements (100 hours instruction across the syllabus & 25 supervised solo flights) is not very appropriate - a flight test would be better, like the old way.
In your situation I would have thought a word with your supervising FI would have brought a few more candidates your way; it is normally in your school's interest to have unrestricted FIs so you can work without requiring a supervising FI.

engineoff
28th Sep 2003, 03:37
Have tried to push for some more flights leading to student solos however I believe you also have to have flown a fair proportion of the students PPL course for these to count?... Just bad timing on my part really. It has taken me 3 years to get 12 ; just hoping not to take another 3 to complete them!

The old system seemed much more sensible rather than an 'automatic ' upgrade...

engineoff
29th Sep 2003, 17:24
Kissmysquirrel,

Thanks for that ; will try that method then... Yes , it is the helicopter side I'm talking about, and unfortunately I do still fly the R22 although dont rate it as a very good trainer..... Without wishing to start a debate with a well proven track record on PPRUNE , give me a 300 anyday!

DFC
29th Sep 2003, 23:46
First SOLO and First SOLO crosssountry flights must be authorised and supervised by an FI.

All other solo flights can be supervised by an FI(R).

In the course of a PPL course, leaving out the first solo and first solo crosscountry flights, a student will complete some 5 to 10 or more solo flights. Thus, taking one student through the course will gain an FI(R) the required instruction and 10 of the minimum solo supervisions.

IMHO, if it is so difficult to achieve the required number of solos, the options are to a) remain an FI(R) because with so few students, there is no need for another FI or b) Go elswhere an find more students.

My reading of kissmysquirrel's post whas that he claimed flights which were being supervised by an FI as being supervised by himself. I don't think that is legal.

A far better way of bending the rules are to send a student off on a circuit detail and get than to make " four 15 minute flights during the hour".......they enter the four solo flights in their log book, and you record four supervised flights towards the 25. All totally legal and within the rules.

Perhaps doing the latter will rapidly increase the umber of supervised flights :ok:

Regards,

DFC

engineoff
1st Oct 2003, 18:53
I did think that lots of 10 minute flights was frowned upon so have avoided doing that.. The problem stems from flying commercially and only instructing on the occasional days, which normally results in delightful trial lessons! Unfortunately I was doing quite a bit of instructing at one point, but left for other things just as my students were hitting the solo stage. Typical!

kissmysquirrel; updated my profile !