PDA

View Full Version : Cassutt Racer

Kingy
26th Sep 2003, 09:42
Anyone got any experience of a Cassutt 111M Racer? Easy/difficult to fly?, Could I get my lardy 200lb body in one? and are they aerobatic in the Uk?

tell me what you know...

Kingy :D

18greens
26th Sep 2003, 16:04
The only experience I had of one was answering a Pilot add a few years ago. The guy just laughed when I told him how heavy I was (12st) - too heavy. I think you also need to be vertically challenged to fit in it. But don't let that put you off, it may just have been this example that was so limited.

Can't you find out the actual figures from the vendor.

Very impressive performance though. Doesn't it do 200mph?

stiknruda
26th Sep 2003, 17:52
Kingy - at 5'10 and 200lbs, I am too big to make it a practical option!

A couple of chums play with them but they are of the racing snake hipped variety!

Aerobatic - very. The legality of such in the UK, I do not know but have seen one displayed in the States.

200mph seems plausible - you not interested in a dark blue Notts one are you?

Stik

Wunper
26th Sep 2003, 18:22
Kingy

there was a V good article about flying Cassutts in the PFA mag about 4 editions ago nice punchy air to air shot on the front cover, worth giving the PFA a bell for a back issue.

Wunper:ok:

CBLong
26th Sep 2003, 19:02
This site quotes 230mph (from 85hp!):
http://www.cradleofaviation.org/exhibits/contemporary/cassutt/cassutt.html

Not very big, is it? :)

http://www.cradleofaviation.org/exhibits/contemporary/cassutt/cassutt_tom.jpg

Cusco
26th Sep 2003, 19:51
Wasn't the Fatal at Bembridge a few years ago concerning a Cassutt something to do with the Pilot's size and his helmet impacting on the canopy?

I read the AAIB report at the time as I saw the bits on the floor in the hangar at Farnborough AAIB during a visit a few years ago.

May be wrong: I haven't got time to look up AAIB report, 'spect someone will find it.

Safe flying

Cusco.

Edit

Found it!

Full AAIB report was published in December 1999:Accident not directly related to pilot's size but:

Many comments about pilot's size (6'3), tape stuck to nut on canopy to stop damage to pilots helmet by frequent contact etc

No Idea how to post the link but if you go to www.aaib.gov.uk, then go to bulletins, then 1999 then December you'll find it.

Isn't it funny how these little bits of info get lodged in your subconscious?.

C. :(

Edditid fur speling misteaks

Zlin526
27th Sep 2003, 01:46
Kingy,

Forget it, you're too lardy mate!;) Anything over about 5'10", and 11 stone and its a snug fit.

Cusco,

The accident to the Cassutt at Bembridge involved a very close friend, and it was nothing to do with his size! Being tall didnt help when the manouvre went wrong , but his size didnt cause the accident!

I have flown a Cassutt, and thought it was a pile of poo! (Although it was rigged for Formula 1 racing) Let go of the controls, and it veered off track violently into a spiral dive!

The Rollason Beta was much nicer, but I'm not sure there's any remaining?

Z526

stiknruda
27th Sep 2003, 02:45
Zlin

there was a Beta project available in 2000 (PF) - i was sorely tempted but was out-voted by 3 dogs, 4 cats, 2 horses, 12 chucks, 20 ducks, itinerant geese and an ex-wife!

wonder what is doing now!

AIDS - aviation induced divorce syndrome

Stik :)

Zlin526
27th Sep 2003, 03:57
Stik,

The Beta I flew was G-AWHV, one of 4 built by Rollasons. As it was Michael Jones's personal aeroplane (manager of Rollasons at the time), it was a very lucky chap who got to fly it! I did a fair few hours roaring around the South east of England just enjoying going fast!

Not sure a homebuilt Beta would ever compare!

Zed

Cusco
27th Sep 2003, 04:03
Zlin 526

Re- read my post:

I didn't say the report said the accident was caused by your friends size:

The original query was whether size of pilot mattered in a Cassutt and from the accident report I'd say it was safe to say that the AAIB felt the need to mention cramped cockpits and taped nuts on canopy to prevent helmet damage.

Ergo: if you're 6'3" think hard about whether flying a Cassutt would be a comfortable experience.

Safe flying

Cusco

stiknruda
27th Sep 2003, 06:19
Rollasons, Michael Jones, Hotel Victor.........

lovely aeroplane

but if in the right hands no reason why another could not surpass factory build spec and quality and take the PFA Sword Of Honour

Wouldn't it be great to have a UK plyon racing series with Beta's, Cosmics, Cassuts howling around a la Reno?

Then we could have a sports bi-plane class, too!

Diving to Vne of 203 and pulling

Stik

Kingy
27th Sep 2003, 10:22
Thanks for the info my knowledgeable chums... seems like my rotund figure is the showstopper here...(as usual!)

Anyone ever flown a Midget Mustang? I believe they are slightly more 'lard friendly'.

Kingy

sycamore
27th Sep 2003, 19:34
Kingy,
We used to race Cassutts, Betas, Cosmics at various venues in the UK in the `70`s-80`s, also in France, around the pylons, and occasionally at Handicap meetings.The ordinary Ct. with short wings/ square-tips went very fast, but was slow off the corners,as the induced drag was high. The better ones were those which had longer wings,better taper ratio, and built by Thompson/ Storey/Smith/Crossley. The fuselages were also "tailored" for slightly taller guys, and slightly longer as the a/c was always near the aft CoG limit.
Steve Thompson also made wooden props better matched for ferrying/cruise. Racing props were all metal, inspected meticulously before racing, x-ray/sonic /dye, as they had several resonance RPM bands, and could fracture , particularly if a "nick" on the blade was not treated,Racing RPM 3900-4200, on an 0-200, depending on what diameter/pitch prop you were running, which depended on the length/breadth of the race -course. Very much as per any form of racing- propellers were like a set of tyres/ sprockets/ gearbox ratios, if you took it all seriously, like a certain fraternity known to all as "The Midlands Mafia""; but they got beaten from time to time, usually by old-age and cunning.
Great fun, hair-raisig at 50ft at 230 mph , especially if you got someone elses turbulence, I have seen the grass thru` the top of the canopy!! The a/c is small, no room for bags if you want to go anywhere, and you need to be a good tailwheel driver as it`s very short-coupled, and with a spring-steel u/c is fun on grass, terryfying on tarmac.
Apart from all that would I do it all again?Of course I would, but would need to lose a little weight first.:ok: :ok:

LowNSlow
2nd Oct 2003, 05:47
Kingy you're dreaming of the Ballerina we saw at Duxford aren't you ? :ok: Big step from a FRED to a Cassutt :oh: :oh:

MLS-12D
5th Jan 2005, 15:58
Anyone ever flown a Midget Mustang? I believe they are slightly more 'lard friendly'.Good thinking, Kingy. I doubt that you would have difficulty in the Midget Mustang. See generally here (http://www.mustangaero.com/Midget%20Mustang/FAQs/FAQ_Fit.html) for more information.

surely not
5th Jan 2005, 18:20
I remember watching the first Cosmic Wind to come to the UK at an air display at Fairoaks when the Tiger Club were still there. Superb little aircraft, a real show stopper.
I'm also pretty sure that I also saw an air race with Cassutts, and Betas at Fairoaks. It would have been early 70's I think. I might be wrong but that is what the old grey matter is telling me.

MLS-12D
5th Jan 2005, 19:09
Related links:

Midget Mustang history (http://www.mustangaero.com/images/Midget%20Mustang/Midget%20History.pdf);

Formula One air racing (http://www.if1airracing.com/);

National Cassutt Club (http://www.cassuttclub.com/).

AerBabe
6th Jan 2005, 09:21
Oh dear Kingy, are you getting bored again? If that cub of yours is the culprit, I'd be more than happy to give you a reasonable price for it... ;)

If you're after a Mustang-ish aircraft, we had just the thing at the New Year fly-in on Sunday. It was an RV4 with a USAF paint job.

MLS-12D
6th Jan 2005, 15:24
an RV4 with a USAF paint job
I would have thought an RAF red-and-white, or RCAF yellow, training command paint scheme would look more appropriate ... sort of a homebuilt Chippie theme?

TheKentishFledgling
6th Jan 2005, 18:23
Sommat like...

http://www.eludlow.flyer.co.uk/atakz/pilotrv4.jpg

Would be a lovely pic if it wasn't for the odd coloured bipe...:ouch:

tKF

LowNSlow
7th Jan 2005, 09:17
That's a lovely RV. The owner used to pop into RG a while ago.

ShyTorque
7th Jan 2005, 17:04
I remember watching pylon racing at Tollerton about 30 years ago. Exciting stuff - bunch of "loonies"! :p

Why was it banned? Accidents or pre-emptive action?

sycamore
7th Jan 2005, 17:36
Shy-tq, Jun/Jul `73, got a 3rd place in a `Beta` there, Heineken were the sponsors and provided the beer.Loonies ? Well,maybe a little, but you can`t afford to be complacent at 100` doing 200 kts with a bunch of others... it wasn`t banned, most of us just sort of`grew-out` of it, as one needed to be of the `racin-snake`build.... I`m sure you understand ..power-to weight ratio, etc.Syc

MLS-12D
7th Jan 2005, 18:47
More links:

Shoestring racer (http://www.wspromotion.com/fullscaleshoe.html)

Yellow Jacket (modified Shoestring racer) (http://airbum.com/pireps/PirepShoestring.html)

G-KEST
8th Jan 2005, 21:12
Cassutt memories
My first Cassutt trip was by courtesy of Manx Kelly in 1969 at Sibson in one of the Airmark built versions. Liked it.
Second was in Andrew Chadwicks modified version "White Lightning" at Duxford in the early 1990's. Most enjoyable though another pilot who tried it for the first time almost certainly needed clean underwear.
Last was in G-BOMB on a few flights out of Leicester around 1996. Still liked it. I remember formating loosely on the Air Atlantique Historic Flight Twin Pin on departure from Sywell. Very brief since the TP cruise was less than the Cassutt stall speed.
The type is all control and precious little stability with very light control forces about all axes. Probably equivalent to a single seat Pitts in terms of takeoff and landing problems but with a somewhat higher approach speed. Not an aircraft for anyone with little experience.
Cheers,
Trapper 69
:ok: